Does the given function have a minimum and maximum?

• Thread starter mathboy20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: And f'(0-) = -\infty. So, there is neither minimum nor maximum here, since the first derivative has no constant sign near 0. In summary, x = b is maximum, and x = 0 is a minimum.
mathboy20
Hi

I have been given the following assignment which has caused me some trouble:

The function [tex]f(x) = x^b \cdot e^{-x}[/tex] where [tex]b \in \mathbb{R}_{+}[/tex]

Determine if f has a minimum and a maximum, and find them.

I know that the first step is determine f'(x) which is

[tex]f'(x) = (\frac{b}{x} - ln(e)) \cdot e^{-x} \cdot x^b[/tex]

Any hints what I do next ?

Best Regards

Mathboy20

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathboy20 said:
I know that the first step is determine f'(x) which is

[tex]f'(x) = (\frac{b}{x} - ln(e)) \cdot e^{-x} \cdot x^b[/tex]

Any hints what I do next ?
If there is a minimum or a maximum, the derivative has to be zero there. Watch out though, a zero derivative doesn't necessarily imply an extremem (min or max) but it is a necessary condition. So find the values of x for which [itex]f'(x)=0[/itex].

Do I then choose an abitrary b-value and then solve f'(x) = 0 ?

Like let's say b = 1

then [tex]f'(x) = -(ln(e) \cdot x -1) \cdot e^{-x}= 0 [/tex]

Then [tex] x = \frac{1}{ln(e)} [/tex]

If I then choose an abitratry b which lies in the inteval [tex] [1, \infty[ [/tex]

I get that [tex]x = \frac{b}{ln(e)}[/tex]

is that x then the maximum value for the given function?

Best Regards
Mathboy20

TD said:
If there is a minimum or a maximum, the derivative has to be zero there. Watch out though, a zero derivative doesn't necessarily imply an extremem (min or max) but it is a necessary condition. So find the values of x for which [itex]f'(x)=0[/itex].

Last edited:
Rather then doing it for a particular value of b, do it in general (keep b as a parameter).
You indeed get [itex]x = \frac{b}{\ln(e)}[/itex] but don't you think you could simplify [itex]\ln(e)[/itex] a bit? :wink:

TD said:
Rather then doing it for a particular value of b, do it in general (keep b as a parameter).
You indeed get [itex]x = \frac{b}{\ln(e)}[/itex] but don't you think you could simplify [itex]\ln(e)[/itex] a bit? :wink:

Yeah sure then x = b

Can I then conclude that the parameter 'b' is the maximum value for the function ?

Best Regards

Mathboy20

mathboy20 said:
Yeah sure then x = b

Can I then conclude that the parameter 'b' is the maximum value for the function ?

Best Regards

Mathboy20
Be careful, when b is not 1, then there is one more value that makes f'(x) = 0. That value is x = 0. Do you know why?
To check if it's the maximum or minimum value, one can try to take the second derivative of that function.
If f''(x) > 0, and f'(x) = 0, then it's a minimum value.
If f''(x) < 0, and f'(x) = 0, then it's a maximum value.
Do you know this?

mathboy20 said:
Yeah sure then x = b

Although it's correct (this will be a maximum), you cannot conclude this from the zero derivative only. In order for that point to be a max (c.q. min), the derivative has to change sign arround that point (from + to - for a max and vice versa for a min).

Alternatively, you could check the sign of the second derivative in that point. If that's negative, you've got a maximum while you'll have a minimum when that's positive.

Hello again,

Lets recap what I know.

I'm given the function [tex]f(x) = x^{a} \cdot e^{-x}[/tex]

where [tex]a \in \mathbb{R}_{+}[/tex] which means that [tex]a > 0[/tex]

Futher I'm told that [tex]x \in [0, \infty[ [/tex]

I required first to prove that there exists a minimum and a maximum value for f, and to determain those values.

What would be the first logical step here?

Sincerely Yours
Mathboy20

Last edited:
First, you should notice that:
f(x) > 0 for all x > 0, and f(x) = 0 for x = 0, right? So what can you say about f(0)? (a maximum value or minimum value?)
And the second hint is to follow TD's suggestion and prove that x = b is a maximum.
Can you go from here? :)

Dear TD,

If I understand Your explanation correctly then I get the following

first my f'(x) was wrong the right one is

f'(x) = (b/x -1) * x^b * e^-x =0

Then according to the definition then there exist a maximum if f''(x) < 0 and f'(x) = 0

first condition:

by choosing x = b

then f'(b) = 0

Second condition:

f''(b) = -b ^ (b-1) * e^-b < 0 because b>0

Then the maximum for f is x = b...

There exist a minimum if f''(x) > 0 and f'(x) = 0

The first point in the definition interval is x = 0, but this is unuserable since b/0 is not allowed.

Then f doesn't have a mimimum?

Sincerley Yours
Mathboy20

Last edited:
f'(x) = bxb - 1e-x - xbe-x
-------------------
f''(x) = b(b - 1)xb - 2e-x - bxb - 1e-x - bxb - 1e-x + xbe-x
= e-x(b(b - 1)xb - 2 - 2bxb - 1 + bxb)
f''(b) = be-b(b(b - 1)bb - 2 - 2bbb - 1 + bb) = e-b(-bb - bb - 1 + bb) = -bb - 1e-b < 0.
Yes, so your work is correct.
-------------------------
However, you should also check the value of f(x) at the end point, too to see if it's a maximum or minimum there. As I told you before:
f(0) = 0
And f(x) > 0 for all x > 0
So f(0) is a minimum value for f(x), since the domain of the function is [tex][0 ; \infty [[/tex]
By the way, f'(x) = bxb - 1e-x - xbe-x = xb - 1e-x(b - x)
So as long as b is not 1, f'(0+) = 0.

1. What is urgent calculus?

Urgent calculus is a mathematical branch that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation of quantities, typically in the context of continuously changing systems.

2. Why is it important to answer urgent calculus questions?

Urgent calculus questions are important to answer because they often arise in real-life situations, such as in physics and engineering, and can help us understand and predict the behavior of various systems.

3. What are some common applications of urgent calculus?

Some common applications of urgent calculus include predicting the trajectory of a moving object, determining the rate at which a population grows or declines, and optimizing production and consumption rates.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding urgent calculus?

Yes, a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus concepts such as limits and derivatives is necessary to understand and solve urgent calculus problems.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving urgent calculus problems?

To improve your skills in solving urgent calculus problems, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from teachers or online resources if needed. It is also helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind them.