Evaluating \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left( {\frac{2}{3}} \right)^n

• Thread starter opticaltempest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the limit of (2/3)^n as n approaches infinity. L'Hopital's Rule is not needed and it is shown that the limit evaluates to 0. The conversation also discusses manipulating the limit using logarithms and noticing that the limit approaches -infinity as n approaches infinity. It is also mentioned that if |a| < 1, the limit of a^n as n approaches infinity is 0, and if a = 1, the limit is 1.
opticaltempest
How do I evaluate this limit?

[tex]
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left( {\frac{2}{3}} \right)^n
[/tex]

Is this the correct approach?

[tex]
{\rm{Let}} \; \; \; y = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left( {\frac{2}{3}} \right)^n
[/tex]

[tex]
\ln y = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \ln \left[ {\left( {\frac{2}{3}} \right)^n } \right]
[/tex]

[tex]
\ln y = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left[ {n \cdot \ln \left( {\frac{2}{3}} \right)} \right]
[/tex]

I am stuck at this step. I don't see a way to manipulate the limit into a
form that L'Hopital's Rule will apply. I know the limit evaluates to 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No l'Hospital's rule needed. Since [tex]\frac{2}{3} < 1,\left( \frac{2}{3}\right) ^{n}\rightarrow 0 \mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

opticaltempest said:
[tex]
\ln y = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left[ {n \cdot \ln \left( {\frac{2}{3}} \right)} \right]
[/tex]

I am stuck at this step. I don't see a way to manipulate the limit into a
form that L'Hopital's Rule will apply. I know the limit evaluates to 0.
You can continue by noticing that:
[tex]\ln \left( \frac{2}{3} \right) < 0[/tex]
So as [tex]n \rightarrow +\infty[/tex], [tex]n \star \ln \left( \frac{2}{3} \right) \rightarrow - \infty[/tex], right?
So as [tex]n \rightarrow +\infty[/tex], [tex]\ln y \rightarrow - \infty[/tex]
So what's [tex]y \rightarrow ?[/tex]
-----------------
Or as benorin has pointed out:
If |a| < 1 then [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a ^ n = 0[/tex]
If a = 1 then [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a ^ n = 1[/tex]
Can you get this? :)

1. What is the limit of the sequence (2/3)^n as n approaches infinity?

As n gets larger and larger, the value of (2/3)^n approaches 0. This means that the limit of the sequence is 0.

2. How do you evaluate the limit of (2/3)^n as n approaches infinity?

To evaluate the limit, you can use the formula lim (a^n) = 0, where a is a constant less than 1. In this case, a = 2/3, so the limit is 0.

3. What does it mean for a limit to approach infinity?

A limit that approaches infinity means that the values of the sequence are getting larger and larger without bound. In this case, the sequence (2/3)^n approaches 0 as n gets larger, but it never reaches 0.

4. Can the limit of (2/3)^n be a negative number?

No, the limit of (2/3)^n cannot be a negative number. The value of (2/3)^n always remains positive, and as n approaches infinity, it gets closer and closer to 0, but never becomes negative.

5. How does the value of n affect the limit of (2/3)^n?

The value of n affects the limit of (2/3)^n by determining how close the sequence gets to 0. As n gets larger, the sequence gets closer to 0, but it never reaches 0.