Proving the Validity of a Set of Vectors as a Basis for a Vector Space

In summary, we have discussed the concept of a basis for a vector space V and have proven that the set of vectors v = \{v_{1}, v_{1} + v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \} is a basis for V through the conditions of spanning V and being linearly independent. This proof can also be shown through the use of matrix equations.
Mathman23
Hi

Given a Vector Space V which has the basis [tex]\{ v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3} \} [/tex] then I need to prove that the following set v = [tex]\{ v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \}[/tex] is also a basis for V.

I know that in order for v to be a basis for V then [tex]V = span \{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \}[/tex], and the vectors of v need to be linear independent.

but by showing that the vectors of v are linear independent is the best way of show that v is a basis for V?

Sincerely
Fred

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathman23 said:
but by showing that the vectors of v are linear independent is the best way of show that v is a basis for V?
Probably.

Also do you have the theorem that if {b1, ... ,bn} is a basis for a vector space V, then any linearly independent set of n vectors in V is also a basis?

We know that every vector [tex]v\in V[/tex] can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis vectors [tex]\{ v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3} \} , [/tex] that is there exists scalars [tex]c_{1}, c_{2}, c_{3} [/tex] such that [tex]v=c_1v_1+c_2v_2+c_3v_3 .[/tex] Is the same true of [tex]\{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \}[/tex]?

benorin said:
We know that every vector [tex]v\in V[/tex] can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis vectors [tex]\{ v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3} \} , [/tex] that is there exists scalars [tex]c_{1}, c_{2}, c_{3} [/tex] such that [tex]v=c_1v_1+c_2v_2+c_3v_3 .[/tex] Is the same true of [tex]\{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \}[/tex]?

if I express [tex]\{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \}[/tex] as a set of vectors [tex]\{x,y,z\}[/tex] which can be expressed

[tex]v=c_1 x +c_2 y+c_3 z.[/tex]

Then its the same.

Sincerely
Fred

I want to be sure you understand:

Suppose I take a linear combination of the vectors [tex]\{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \} , [/tex] this is then a linear combination of linear combinations of the given basis vectors, which is again, a linear combination of the given basis vectors, which every vector in V may be expressed as. Follow?

Last edited:
I get it ;)

Then I show that the linear combination of the linear combination er linear independent ??

c1 * v1 = 0

c2 * (v1+v2) = 0

c3 * (v1 + v2 + v3) = 0

Sincerly
Fred

benorin said:
I want to be sure you understand:

Suppose I take a linear combination of the vectors [tex]\{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \} , [/tex] this is then a linear combination of linear combinations of the given basis vectors, which is again, a linear combination of the given basis vectors, which every vector in V may be expressed as. Follow?

benorin said:

Indeed, the existence of scalars [tex]c_{1}, c_{2}, c_{3} [/tex] such that [tex]v=c_1v_1+c_2v_2+c_3v_3 [/tex] implies it, then there also exists scalars a,b,c such that [tex]v=av_1+b(v_1+v_2)+c(v_1+v_2+v_3).[/tex]

Proof: Fix v. Let the above hypothesis be so. Then

[tex]v=av_1+b(v_1+v_2)+c(v_1+v_2+v_3)=(a+b+c)v_1 + (b+c)v_2+cv_3 [/tex]

but we know there exist scalars [tex]c_{1}, c_{2}, c_{3} [/tex] such that [tex]v=c_1v_1+c_2v_2+c_3v_3 ,[/tex]

so set these equal to obtain

[tex]v=c_1v_1+c_2v_2+c_3v_3=(a+b+c)v_1 + (b+c)v_2+cv_3 [/tex]

equate coefficients of the v_k's to get the systems of equations [tex]c_1=a+b+c,c_2=b+c,c_3=c[/tex] so that we may take [tex]c=c_3, b=c_2-c_3,a=c_1-c_2[/tex] and hence there must also exists scalars a,b,c such that [tex]v=av_1+b(v_1+v_2)+c(v_1+v_2+v_3),[/tex] as required.

Last edited:
Here is my own idear for a proof that the set of vectors [tex]v = \{v_{1}, v_{1} + v_{2},v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \} [/tex] is a basis for the vector space V.

Definition: Basis for Vector Space

Let V be a Vector Space. A set of vectors in V is a basis for V if the following conditions are meet:

1. The set vectors spans V.
2. The set of all vectors is linear independent.

Proof:

(2) The vectors in v is said to be linear independent iff there doesn't exists scalars [tex]C = (c_1,c_2,c_3) \neq 0[/tex] such that

[tex]v = c_1 (v_1) + c_2 (v_1+v_2) + c_3 (v_1 + v_2 + v_3) = 0[/tex]

By expression the above in matrix-equation form:

[itex]\begin{array}{cc}\[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
v_{11}& (v_{11} + v_{12})& (v_{11} + v_{12} + v_{13}) \\
v_{21}& (v_{21} + v_{22})& (v_{21} + v_{22} + v_{23})\\
v_{31}& (v_{31} + v_{32})& (v_{31} + v_{32} + v_{33})\\
\end{array} \right]\] \cdot \left[ \begin{array}{c} c_1 \\ c_2 \\ c_3 \end{array} \right] = 0 \] \end{array}[/itex]

If v is fixed, it can be concluded that matrix columbs of v are linear independent cause the only solution for the equation vC = 0 is the trivial solution(zero-vector):

[itex]\begin{array}{cc}\[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
c_{1} \\
c_{2} \\
c_{3} \\
\end{array} \right]\] = \left[ \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right] \] \end{array}[/itex]

Which implies the dependence relation between v and C doesn't exist since C = 0.

(1) Since the only solution for matrix equation is the trivial solution, then according to the definition for the Span of a vector subspace, then the set of v spans V.

This proves that the set of is it fact a basis for the Vector Space V.

Is my proof valid?

Sincerely
Fred

Last edited:

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects known as vectors, along with operations such as addition and scalar multiplication that allow for the combination and manipulation of these vectors. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to describe a wide range of mathematical and physical systems.

What are the basic properties of a vector space?

The basic properties of a vector space include closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of additive and multiplicative identities, and distributivity. These properties ensure that the operations of addition and scalar multiplication are well-defined and allow for consistent manipulation of vectors within the vector space.

What is the basis of a vector space?

The basis of a vector space is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire vector space. This means that any vector in the space can be expressed as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors. The number of basis vectors is known as the dimension of the vector space.

How do you determine the basis of a given vector space?

To determine the basis of a vector space, one must first find a set of linearly independent vectors that span the space. This can be done through techniques such as Gaussian elimination or by inspection. Once a set of basis vectors is found, it can be verified by checking that they are linearly independent and span the entire vector space.

Why is the concept of a basis important in linear algebra?

The concept of a basis is important in linear algebra because it allows for the representation and manipulation of vectors in a concise and efficient manner. By expressing vectors as linear combinations of basis vectors, complex operations can be simplified and analyzed. Additionally, the basis provides a way to define and understand the dimension of a vector space, which has important implications in fields such as physics and engineering.