*Scheduled* downtime 3/30/06

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Greg is moving the server and they hope it will be fast and painless. They will work on it tomorrow night. They are stocking up on supplies and preparing for a possible outage.
In an attempt to fix the obvious problems with the server stability we are doing an in-house server move. It should be fast and painless. We'll work on it tomorrow night, shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
In an attempt to fix the obvious problems with the server stability we are doing an in-house server move. It should be fast and painless. We'll work on it tomorrow night, shouldn't take more than a couple hours.
"fast and painless" :bugeye:

Do you know what time?

I don't care if it's scheduled or not, I'm still going to click on that "notify staff of problem" email link about 1500 times. :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
It should be fast and painless.
That's what every dentist says! :rofl:
Greg Bernhardt said:
We'll work on it tomorrow night, shouldn't take more than a couple hours.
:uhh: Like last time? :biggrin: :rofl:

Just kidding! Good luck!

Astronuc said:
That's what every dentist says! :rofl:
So are you going to put in a dentistry fourm during the scheduled downtime?:biggrin:
What problems are you going to fix during the downtime?

Tom Mattson said:
I don't care if it's scheduled or not, I'm still going to click on that "notify staff of problem" email link about 1500 times. :biggrin:
:rofl: Wait, I think we should click that link just once every 10 seconds or so...at least give Greg some incentive to get done quickly. :biggrin: :devil:

I'm stocking up on emergency supplies to prepare for tonight's PF outtage - flashlight, extra batteries, non-perishable food, can opener, bottled water, First Aid kit, extra clean underwear, American Crew pomade hair gel (must look good while I'm stressing out), microwave popcorn with no trans fat, and a plush Pooh Bear for comfort.

Zz.

I'm getting my clicking finger ready.

ZapperZ said:
I'm stocking up on emergency supplies to prepare for tonight's PF outtage - flashlight, extra batteries, non-perishable food, can opener, bottled water, First Aid kit, extra clean underwear, American Crew pomade hair gel (must look good while I'm stressing out), microwave popcorn with no trans fat, and a plush Pooh Bear for comfort.

Zz.
Good idea! Don't forget a manual can opener for any canned goods.

When is it going to happen? Why don't we have a time? I can't take the stress. :cry: I guess I'm just going to have to keep clicking every time I get the "server unavailable" message, just to be sure.

Evo said:
Good idea! Don't forget a manual can opener for any canned goods.

When is it going to happen? Why don't we have a time? I can't take the stress. :cry: I guess I'm just going to have to keep clicking every time I get the "server unavailable" message, just to be sure.

And just be warned that if it goes longer than a couple of hours, you and Tom and Moobie will start getting spam from me asking if everyone is all right!

:)

Zz.

In an attempt . . .
Hopefully successful!

Anyway, is there a particular time, e.g. 2200 CST?

Hey, Greg's new avatar is 75x75! We can have bigger avatars now? I mean, BIGGER is always better. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Hey, Greg's new avatar is 75x75!

Don't you work? :rofl:

Tom Mattson said:
I'm getting my clicking finger ready.
Just to get in shape, I'm going to play, "The Ants Go Marching" so everyone can do their finger exercises. :biggrin: (Those who have had recent exposure to small children will understand this.) You wouldn't want to start a mouse clicking marathon without properly warming up first; we don't want any injuries.

Tom Mattson said:
Don't you work? :rofl:
Uhm, not much. :redface:

Evo said:
Hey, Greg's new avatar is 75x75! We can have bigger avatars now? I mean, BIGGER is always better. :biggrin:
I've increased your limit by 1px to 65x65 :biggrin:

Stop hatin on jungle belly!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've increased your limit by 1px to 65x65 :biggrin:
1 pixel? Ok, I'll take it. :biggrin:

I like it, it's cute! :tongue2:

Greg Bernhardt said:
But with Harry gone, I am the last zoobie!

Extinction here we come.

Has it been done already or should I be preparing for a lonely night now?

Yes! only needed to work for about 1 hr :biggrin: .

was there a reason why I couldn't access the forum for about 2 days?

Forums seem to break every evening...

Are you still having problems? I haven't encountered any outages since the night of the 3rd, when Greg moved us to yet another server. Then again, I've been more busy this week, so haven't had as much time to find out if it's been down.

Once in a while, seemingly during peak hours, some of the features ("User CP", and "New Posts" to name a couple) give a server timeout error or something to that effect.

What does "scheduled downtime" mean?

Scheduled downtime refers to a planned period of time during which a system or equipment will be temporarily shut down for maintenance, repairs, or upgrades.

Why is there a scheduled downtime on 3/30/06?

The scheduled downtime on 3/30/06 is likely a result of the need for maintenance, repairs, or upgrades to be performed on the system or equipment. This downtime is planned in advance to minimize disruption to regular operations.

How long will the scheduled downtime last?

The length of the scheduled downtime can vary depending on the scope of work that needs to be done. It may last for a few hours or even a full day, but the specific duration should be communicated beforehand.

What should I do during the scheduled downtime?

During the scheduled downtime, it is recommended to avoid using the system or equipment that is being worked on. This will help to prevent any potential issues and ensure that the maintenance or upgrades can be completed smoothly.

Will there be any impact on my work during the scheduled downtime?

In most cases, there will be some impact on regular operations during the scheduled downtime. However, efforts are usually made to minimize this impact and the downtime is scheduled during off-peak hours to lessen the inconvenience for users.