How to calculate forces in a looping

• Thread starter m0nki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the centrifugal acceleration of an object moving at a speed v on a track with a radius R is given by v^2/R. If you want the object to stick to the track, then you need v^2/R > g.
m0nki
needless to say I'm a physics-challenged person but as a designer, I'm finally confronted with the science part of life :smile:

I want to have an estimate-calculation on the forces that will act on a looping if I have an object of x kilograms moving at y speed hits a looping with z diameter.
I haven't got a clue where to start and trial/error testing is too expensive.

What I want to know is what formula's I can use in order to retreive the following info:
- minimum speed for object (object weight could vary) to complete the looping (different diameters)
- maximum diameter of looping for weight/speed combination
- forces that act on the looping's construction (in order to build a prototype)

think of it like an RC car doing 'Hotwheels" stunts ...

I appreciate any help with links, formula's, ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what will help you is that the centrifugal acceleration of an object having a velocity v (in meters/second) on a track with radius R (meters) is given by v^2/R

Now, on top of the track, this centrifugal acceleration points upward of course, while the gravitational acceleration g points downward ; so if you want the thing to be sticking to the road, then you better have that v^2/R > g.

g = 9.81 m/s^2

thanks Vanesh !

do you know how I could use the centrifugal acceleration to calculate the force on the ramp/looping itself? I want to build a prototype but would like some insight on how tough I need to make the construction.
Also, I kind of expect that the object will not have a smooth transition from horizontal movement to the upwards looping, so is there a way to calculate the impact it will have if it 'hits' the looping-curve?

again, thanks for the input you already gave. I forgot how interesting this physics/math stuff is ... will pick it back up real soon.

How do I calculate the centripetal force in a looping motion?

The centripetal force in a looping motion can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the loop.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of the circle. In reality, centrifugal force is just an apparent force and does not actually exist.

How can I calculate the normal force in a looping motion?

The normal force in a looping motion can be calculated using the formula Fn = mg + Fc, where Fn is the normal force, mg is the weight of the object, and Fc is the centripetal force. This is because the normal force must balance the weight of the object and provide the necessary centripetal force for the looping motion.

What is the relationship between velocity and centripetal force in a looping motion?

The greater the velocity of an object in a looping motion, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep it in that motion. This is because the centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity, as shown in the formula Fc = mv^2/r.

How does the radius of the loop affect the forces in a looping motion?

The radius of the loop affects the forces in a looping motion in two ways. Firstly, a larger radius will require a smaller centripetal force to keep the object moving in the loop. Secondly, a smaller radius will result in a greater normal force on the object, as the force needed to balance the weight and provide the necessary centripetal force increases with a smaller radius.