Piecewise-defined function

• Thread starter Rusho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the function for the cost C of making a phone call that lasts x minutes can be written as f(x) := { .99x , if 0 <= x <= 20 ; .99(20) + .07(x-20) , if x > 20}. This means that for a phone call that lasts less than or equal to 20 minutes, the cost will be .99 cents per minute. For a phone call that lasts longer than 20 minutes, the cost will be .99 cents for the first 20 minutes and then an additional .07 cents for each minute thereafter.
Rusho
A phone company offers a deal by which a long distance phone call costs .99 cents for the first 20 minutes and .07 per minute thereafter. Write a piecewise-defined function for the cost C of making a phone call that lasts x minutes.

So I did this:

f(x) { .99(6) 0<= x
.99(20) 0=> x >= 20

Not a clue what I'm doing...:mad: :mad: :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, say you make a x-minute phone call (x <= 20), i.e a phone call that lasts no longer than 20 minutes. How much will you have to pay if you know that each minute costs you .99 cents?
------------------------
If you make a y-minute phone call (y > 20), i.e a phone call that lasts more than 20 minutes. How much will you have to pay for the first 20 minutes? How much will you have to pay for the (y - 20) minutes last? Then do you know how much will you have to pay for that whole y-minute phone call?
------------------------
Your function will look like this:
[tex]f(x) := \left\{ \begin{array}{l} ... , \quad \quad \mbox{if } 0 \leq x \leq 20 \\ ... , \quad \quad \mbox{if } x > 20 \end{array} \right.[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)

I would like to clarify and provide a more accurate piecewise-defined function for the cost C of making a phone call that lasts x minutes:

C(x) = { 0.99x for 0 <= x < 20
{ 0.99(20) + 0.07(x-20) for x >= 20

This function represents the cost C of a phone call that lasts x minutes, where the first 20 minutes cost $0.99 and any additional minutes cost $0.07 per minute. The first part of the function (0.99x) covers the cost for calls that are less than 20 minutes, while the second part (0.99(20) + 0.07(x-20)) covers the cost for calls that are 20 minutes or longer.

It is important to note that the first part of the function has a strict inequality (less than) while the second part has an inclusive inequality (greater than or equal to). This is because the first 20 minutes are charged at a different rate than any additional minutes.

I hope this clarifies the concept of a piecewise-defined function and its application in this scenario.

1. What is a piecewise-defined function?

A piecewise-defined function is a mathematical function that is defined by different expressions over different intervals of its domain. This means that the function may have different rules for different portions of its input values.

2. How do you represent a piecewise-defined function?

A piecewise-defined function is usually represented using the following notation: f(x) = {expression 1 if x < a, expression 2 if a ≤ x < b, expression 3 if b ≤ x < c, ...}. This notation shows the different expressions that define the function for different intervals of its domain.

3. What is the purpose of using a piecewise-defined function?

Piecewise-defined functions are used to define mathematical relationships that have different rules for different parts of its input values. This allows for more complex and accurate representations of real-world phenomena.

4. How do you determine the domain of a piecewise-defined function?

The domain of a piecewise-defined function is the set of all input values for which the function is defined. To determine the domain, you must consider the domain of each individual expression in the function and find the intersection of those domains.

5. Can a piecewise-defined function have an infinite number of pieces?

Yes, a piecewise-defined function can have an infinite number of pieces. This is because the function can have different rules for different intervals of its domain, and there is no limit to the number of intervals that can be defined. However, in most cases, piecewise-defined functions have a finite number of pieces.