Rotational weight vs. dead weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a rotating wheel and a stationary wheel in terms of weight and how it relates to a car's gas mileage. The conclusion is that the weight of the wheels remains the same whether they are rotating or not, but the moment of inertia must be taken into consideration when determining the impact on gas mileage.
johnnyphaze
I am not sure if I am in the right section, but here goes my question.

Can anyone explain to me which one would be heavier. A rotating wheel or a wheel that is just sitting there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you think there would be a difference?

well the main debate is "will bigger wheels cause my mpg to go down?"

my answer was is that at a constant rate it would actually increase.

a buddy of mine puts his 2 cents in and states that rotating mass is a lot heavier than dead weight. i am just trying to make logic of that.

The answer to you first question is that both still have the same mass.

To answer your "will bigger wheels cause my mpg to go down?" question, you would have to consider the moment of inertia of the wheel and work done.

~H

The weight of a mass is the same whether rotating or not.

The car not only needs tp propel the "dead weight" of the wheels, but also must generate an angular velocity and acceleration of the wheels, which is determined by calculating the mass moment of inertia. so a heavier "dead weight" would increase the moment of inertia, lowering gas mileage.

What is the difference between rotational weight and dead weight?

Rotational weight refers to the weight of a component that rotates, such as wheels on a bike. Dead weight, on the other hand, refers to the weight of a component that does not rotate, such as the frame of a bike.

Which one is more important for performance, rotational weight or dead weight?

Rotational weight is generally considered more important for performance, as it directly affects the bike's acceleration and handling. However, both rotational weight and dead weight can impact overall performance and should be considered when designing a bike.

How does rotational weight affect a bike's handling?

Higher rotational weight can make a bike feel slower and less responsive, as it requires more energy to overcome the inertia of the rotating parts. This can also affect the bike's ability to corner and change direction quickly.

Is it better to have lighter rotational weight or lighter dead weight on a bike?

Ideally, both rotational and dead weight should be minimized for optimal performance. However, if forced to choose, it is generally better to have lighter rotational weight, as it has a more direct impact on the bike's handling and acceleration.

How can I reduce rotational weight on my bike?

One way to reduce rotational weight is to use lighter components, such as carbon fiber wheels or titanium axles. Additionally, reducing the number of rotating parts, such as using a single chainring instead of a double or triple, can also help reduce rotational weight.