What are the key factors affecting high speed train aerodynamics?

In summary, the conversation is about finding information on high speed aerodynamics for a summer project on estimating the drag coefficient on a train Coach. The suggested resource is a research paper on auto systems which includes information on drag coefficients and equations. The conversation also touches on the issue of compression waves affecting aerodynamic performance in tunnels.
himanshu121
Hi, can anyone please tell me any good book on the subject, even any research paper will do, we are actually doing summer project in which we are estimating the drag coefficient on the bluff body like train Coach, using commercial softwares like Fluent n Gambit.Please if anyone has the info regarding the high speeed aerodynamics then pls share it with me

Thanks
regards
Himanshu

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since it is a train, it should be the same principles used on cars.

The aerodynamics should be very very close if not identical.

http://www.me.ttu.edu/UserFiles/File/Maxwell%20Spr%2006%20Auto%20Sys/Accel%20&%20Res%20to%20Motion.pdf

Try that file. I don't know how long it will be up so you may want to save it. It has some aerodynamic stuff regarding drag coefficients and drag equations.

Hopefully that helps at least a little.

mpm said:
http://www.me.ttu.edu/UserFiles/File/Maxwell%20Spr%2006%20Auto%20Sys/Accel%20&%20Res%20to%20Motion.pdf

I hope the OP wants to do something more elaborated. I still don't see where is the aerodynamics in your link. There are only tables and coefficients.

I am not an expert in hs train aerodyn, but as far as I know there is currently one issue of interest. HS trains get usually in troubles when passing through tunnels. That's because of the compression wave which travels in the air standing inside the tunnel casued when the train gets in. That wave breaks the aerodynamic performance of the train. Even though the wave may travel faster than the train, the successive reflections at the end of the tunnel flow again over the train. In fact that's a nice problem of propagation along characteristics and Riemann invariants.

thnks for info clausius

1. What is the purpose of studying high speed train aerodynamics?

The purpose of studying high speed train aerodynamics is to understand how air flow affects the train's performance, stability, and energy efficiency. This information can then be used to design trains that can travel at higher speeds while minimizing drag and maximizing fuel efficiency.

2. How do aerodynamics affect the speed of a high speed train?

Aerodynamics play a crucial role in determining the maximum speed a train can achieve. At high speeds, air resistance or drag becomes the dominant force that opposes the train's motion. By designing trains with streamlined shapes and reducing the surface area exposed to air, engineers can minimize drag and allow the train to travel at higher speeds.

3. What factors influence the aerodynamics of a high speed train?

Several factors can influence the aerodynamics of a high speed train, including the shape and design of the train, the surrounding environmental conditions (such as wind speed and direction), and the speed at which the train is traveling. The aerodynamic properties of the train can also be affected by external factors, such as the presence of nearby structures or terrain.

4. How do engineers test and improve the aerodynamics of high speed trains?

Engineers use a combination of wind tunnel testing, computer simulations, and on-track testing to study and improve the aerodynamics of high speed trains. Wind tunnel testing involves placing a scale model of the train in a controlled wind environment to measure air flow patterns and forces. Computer simulations use mathematical models to predict and analyze the train's aerodynamic performance. On-track testing involves measuring the train's performance and collecting data during real-world operations.

5. What are some challenges in designing high speed trains with optimal aerodynamics?

Designing high speed trains with optimal aerodynamics can be challenging due to the complex nature of air flow and the trade-offs between aerodynamic performance and other factors, such as passenger comfort and safety. Additionally, external factors such as changing weather conditions and the presence of other trains on the track can also affect the train's aerodynamics. Engineers must carefully consider all of these factors to design trains that can safely and efficiently travel at high speeds.