Rubber Bands and Energy Dissipation

In summary, the conversation is about the thermodynamics of a rubber band, specifically the energy loss through heat when stretching the rubber band. The question is whether this energy loss is significant or negligible. The links provided do not work for the person asking the question, but they suggest doing a Google search for "thermodynamics of a rubber band" to find relevant information. The conversation also touches on the potential for restricting heat loss in the rubber band and the factors that affect this, such as thermal conductivity and emissivity. Overall, the conversation is trying to determine the qualitative value of the energy loss in stretching a rubber band.
pallidin
Greetings all...

When I pull a fairly good size/quality rubber band and then quickly hold it against my lips, I feel it to be quite hot.
I assume that some of the energy used in stretching the rubber band is converted into heat by virtue of the properties of a "rubber band"

My question is this: Is this energy "loss" appreciable? That is(speaking hypothetically), if I pull with 10 lbs of force, is 1 pound of force converted into heat? Or is this conversion a real but "negligible" factor(much less than 1-lb in my hypothetical scenario)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.fofweb.com/Onfiles/SEOF/Science_Experiments/5-39.pdf#search='thermodynamics%20of%20a%20rubber%20band'

"[URL [Broken]

pp.12-14

Edit links --- OK, now the stinkin' linkin' is workin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response, but links are not working for me. Maybe something on my end.

Google "thermodynamics of a rubber band" and look at items 1 and 14. They're both PDF files, and for who knows what reason that's a function of my versions of Windows and IE, my ISP's software, and PF software, PDF links won't parse, and "insert link" doesn't seem to have done the trick --- you got "cannot display page" I presume?

Bystander said:
Google "thermodynamics of a rubber band" and look at items 1 and 14. They're both PDF files, and for who knows what reason that's a function of my versions of Windows and IE, my ISP's software, and PF software, PDF links won't parse, and "insert link" doesn't seem to have done the trick --- you got "cannot display page" I presume?

Yes, I am getting a "cannot display page". I will take your advise and do the Google seach as you stated. Thanks.

"A related interesting property which makes a nice demonstration is to
stretch a rubber band with a weight and heat it with a hair dryer. The
length of the rubber band will decrease, unlike most materials which would
lengthen, I.e. expand, when heated."

From: http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen99/gen99976.htm

OK, I guess I'm asking this: With an event of "stretching" a rubber band, some amount of force is converted to radiated IR.
Is there a "percentile" qoutient? Is it 10%, 1%, .001%, etc...
Granted, it depends on the experiment. But surely there is some qualitative value with respect to this.

pallidin said:
OK, I guess I'm asking this: With an event of "stretching" a rubber band, some amount of force

Not "force," energy, the integral of force times displacement.

is converted to radiated IR.
Is there a "percentile" qoutient?

In principle, the heat loss from the rubber band can be restricted to zero; this is part of "the ideal rubber band." So, no.

Is it 10%, 1%, .001%, etc...
Granted, it depends on the experiment. But surely there is some qualitative value with respect to this.

Qualitative? Yes, the rubber band is going to lose heat to the environment at a rate determined by thermal conductivity of materials in contact with it, the emissivities of surroundings, and this all gets back to comparisons of idealized adiabatic processes with real processes --- you can approach ideality in this case with insulation and radiation shields. What you then observe is a rubber band, the temperature of which is a reproducible function of elongation.

What are rubber bands made of?

Rubber bands are made of natural or synthetic rubber, which is a polymer material that can stretch and return to its original shape.

How do rubber bands store energy?

When a rubber band is stretched, the polymer chains inside are pulled apart and store potential energy. This energy is released when the rubber band returns to its original shape.

How does energy dissipation occur in rubber bands?

As a rubber band is stretched and released, some of the energy is dissipated in the form of heat due to the friction between the polymer chains. This is known as hysteresis.

Can rubber bands be used as a source of renewable energy?

While rubber bands can store and release energy, they are not a sustainable or efficient source of renewable energy. Their ability to store energy decreases over time as the rubber degrades.

What factors affect the energy dissipation of rubber bands?

The thickness, length, and material of the rubber band can affect its energy dissipation. Factors such as temperature, humidity, and frequency of stretching can also impact the amount of energy dissipated.