Representing graphically an analog signal?

In summary, the question is how to graphically represent an analog signal with an equation such as v(t)=3 + 1.414cos(w0t) - 1.414sin (w0t) + 2cos(2w0t + 5pi/2). The values for amplitude and frequency can be determined by calculating v(t) for different values of t and plotting them on a graph. In addition, the Fourier transform can also be used to plot the frequency domain, resulting in a series of delta functions with varying heights.
esmeco
I was wondering,how do I represent graphically an analog signal components in time and frequency using an equation for example like this:

v(t)=3 + 1.414cos(w0t) - 1.414sin (w0t) + 2cos(2w0t + 5pi/2)

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Physics news on Phys.org
esmeco said:
I was wondering,how do I represent graphically an analog signal components in time and frequency using an equation for example like this:

v(t)=3 + 1.414cos(w0t) - 1.414sin (w0t) + 2cos(2w0t + 5pi/2)

Thanks in advance for the reply!
Calculate v(t) for different values of t. Plot the values for v(t) on the vertical axis for values of t on the horizontal axis.

AM

But in the equation,what are the values that correspond to the amplitude and frequency?

It may be more enlightening to use the variable x = w0*t. x varies from 0 to 2*pi; one needn't know what w0 is. The angular frequency of the equation you wrote is w0; amplitude I'm not sure about. If you have to plot it anyway, might as well do that and find the maximum deviation from 3 (the DC value).

Plotting the frequency domain is simple - just plot the Fourier transform. Because the frequency components are discrete, you will get a series of delta functions of varying heights (depending on the amplitude of each component).

Claude.

1. What is an analog signal?

An analog signal is a continuous electrical signal that represents information in the form of varying voltage or current levels. It is often used to represent audio, video, and other types of data.

2. How is an analog signal represented graphically?

An analog signal is typically represented graphically using a waveform, where the amplitude (height) of the waveform corresponds to the voltage or current level at a particular point in time. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents voltage or current.

3. What are some common tools used to represent analog signals graphically?

Some common tools used to represent analog signals graphically include oscilloscopes, function generators, and data acquisition systems. These tools allow for precise measurements and visualization of the analog signal.

4. What is the difference between an analog and a digital signal?

An analog signal is continuous and can take on an infinite number of values, while a digital signal is discrete and can only take on a finite number of values. In other words, an analog signal can have any value within a certain range, while a digital signal can only have specific values (e.g. 0 or 1).

5. How can graphical representation of analog signals be useful?

Graphical representation of analog signals is useful for analyzing and understanding the characteristics of the signal, as well as for troubleshooting and making adjustments to the signal. It can also be used to compare signals and identify patterns or anomalies.