What is the polynomial obtained by evaluating the determinant of a matrix?

In summary, the correct answer for the determinant is -x^3+ax^2+(b-a)x-a+c. This can be found by expanding by the first column and correcting the first term to be -x instead of 1.
Bob
Evaluate the following determinant. Write your answer as a polynomial in x.

[tex]\begin{array}{|lcr|}a-x&b&c\\1&-x&0\\0&1&-x\end{array}[/tex]

Please help me! thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just find the determinant as usual. A cofactor expansion from one of the rows or columns containing a zero is probably the easiest way.

You do realize, don't you, that you are expected to show us what you have tried so we can suggest changes? What durt suggested is very general but without knowing where you are having trouble we can't be more specific. It won't help you for someone else to do it for you.

(I confess that I find the answer amusing!)

clever problem :rofl:

The answer is [tex]-x^3+ax^2+(b-a)x-a+c[/tex]

not quite :smile:

Show us the work! How did you get that wrong answer?

interested_learner said:
Show us the work! How did you get that wrong answer?

:eek:

[tex]-x^3+ax^2+bx+c[/tex]

What part of "Show us the work! How did you get that wrong answer?" did you not understand?

HallsofIvy said:
What part of "Show us the work! How did you get that wrong answer?" did you not understand?

:bugeye: I am sorry.

[tex](a-x)(x*x-1)-1(-bx-c)+0\\=ax^2-a-x^3+x+bx+c\\=-x^3+ax^2-(a-b)x-a+c[/tex]

Bob said:

Recheck your first term, (a-x)(x*x-1) isn't quite right.

Bob said:

Okay, you are expanding by the first column:
[tex](a-x)\left|\begin{array}{cc}-x & 0 \\1 & -x\end{array}\right|- (1)\left|\begin{array}{cc}b & c \\ 1 & -x\end{array}\right|[/tex]
As dleet said, check that first number. 0*1 is not 1!

What is a matrix determinant polynomial?

A matrix determinant polynomial is a polynomial function that is derived from the determinants of certain matrices. It is used in linear algebra to solve systems of equations and find the roots of a polynomial.

How is a matrix determinant polynomial calculated?

The calculation of a matrix determinant polynomial involves finding the determinant of a matrix, which is a numerical value that is obtained by performing certain operations on the elements of the matrix. The determinant of a matrix can be calculated using various methods, such as row reduction or expansion by minors.

What is the significance of a matrix determinant polynomial?

A matrix determinant polynomial is significant in linear algebra as it allows for the solution of systems of equations and the determination of the properties of a matrix. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as in finding the roots of a polynomial.

What are the applications of a matrix determinant polynomial?

A matrix determinant polynomial has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve systems of equations, find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determine the properties of a matrix in linear algebra. It is also used in differential equations, statistics, and computer graphics.

Can a matrix determinant polynomial be calculated for any size matrix?

Yes, a matrix determinant polynomial can be calculated for any square matrix, regardless of its size. However, the calculation becomes more complex as the size of the matrix increases, and some methods may not be feasible for larger matrices.