What Math and Physics Topics Are Covered in A Level Courses in America?

In summary, the comic is about a boy who discovers the mathematical formula behind the forces that keep the world turning and the power of math.
Thallium
Exactly what math and physics subjects are you dealing with on A-level?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well in first year maths, we take 3 modules, mechanics 1, statistics 1 and Pure maths 1.

Mechanics is about motion, modelling using constant acceleration, forces and Newton's laws of motion, Newtons second law along the line, vectors, projectilesm forces and motion in 2D, and general motion.

Statistics is about binomial expansion, probability, standard deviation, types of data, analysing data, sampling, and hypothesis testing.

Pure maths is trigononmetry, coordinate geometry, polynomials, differentiation, and intergration.

In the second year, we study Pure maths 2, pure maths 3, and then a choice between pure 4, stats 2 or mechanics 2.

i only know what pure 2 is cos i have just taken it. Pure 2 contains indices, sequences and series, functions, calculus techniques, natural logarithms and exponentials and numerical solutions of equations.

PHYSICS, you study Quantum physics, particles, kinetics, forces and motion and mechanicsy stuff, electronics, capacitance, exponetials, nuclear physics, and choice of astromony, theoretical physics, and astronomy. There are probably a lot more like circular motion and stuff, but someone else can answer.

Originally posted by Thallium
Exactly what math and physics subjects are you dealing with on A-level?
Different countries have different A-level syllabuses and some countries do not have A-level. If you want to know more about the A-level syllabus in your country, I think you may find it on the internet.

ps... I am in England!

Yes I meant the A-level in England. The school system in Norway is different from the A-level system and I was curious.

Does anyone know what it's like in Ireland?

Just as an extension on jimmy p the full A-Level in Mathematics involves taking one of a number of combinations of modules.

For the single Maths A-level one can take:

P1 P2 P3 (COMPULSARY)

M1 (COMPULSARY)

S1 (COMPULSARY)

Then either:

M2 or S2

Then one can go a step further and take Further Maths A-level

This involves:

P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6 (COMPULSARY)

M1 M2 M3 (COMPULSARY)

S1 S2 (COMPULSARY)

Then either:

M4 or S3

And after that u can take Triple Mathematics.

This involves:

P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6

M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 M6

S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 S6

Now there are two more modules:

Called D1 and D2

this is decision making. (what is this one might ask, and i couldn't tell them) one can take them instead of one of the statistics and mechanics modules.

This is the structure of the A-Level Mathematics system.

This is the AS and A2 course that I teach - http://advancingphysics.iop.org/

It is a very good syllabus in parts, but too much coursework ruins it for me.
It is also a little lacking in depth at times, but that is the way the Government in the UK want the 'A'levels to be!

Last edited by a moderator:
This involves:

P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6 (COMPULSARY)

M1 M2 M3 (COMPULSARY)

S1 S2 (COMPULSARY)

Then either:

M4 or S3

This did not reflect my experiences.

My modules were:
P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6

M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 M6

That's right, no Stats modules at all.

Allegedly, this option is more favourable for university maths courses, and the M modules are generally considered the more challenging modules. Besides, the Stats exam papers look insanely tedious.

Physics at A-level wasn't really that good, IMHO. Too much overlap with the lower M modules, and seemed to skim over the more interesting bits. Outrageously, calculus is not involved at any point, perhaps for fear of alienating those who choose inexplicably not to study maths as well as physics. Much credit to my teacher though, who had a sort of tangential approach to teaching.

A Level in America:

Math: Algebra 1

Pre-Physics, an illustrated comic guide to E=MC^2.

1. What is the difference between A-level math and physics?

A-level math and physics are two distinct subjects, but they are often studied together as they are closely related. Math focuses on the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, while physics is the study of the natural world and its laws. However, math is used extensively in physics to describe and solve problems.

2. How difficult is A-level math and physics?

A-level math and physics can be challenging for many students, as they require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. These subjects also involve a lot of theoretical concepts that can be difficult to understand. However, with consistent practice and a good understanding of the fundamentals, A-level math and physics can be manageable.

3. What are the career opportunities with A-level math and physics?

There are a wide range of career opportunities for individuals with A-level math and physics, as these subjects are highly valued in many industries. Some common career paths include engineering, research and development, data analysis, finance, and teaching. These subjects also provide a strong foundation for further studies in fields such as medicine and computer science.

4. How can I prepare for A-level math and physics?

To prepare for A-level math and physics, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts in both subjects. This can be achieved through regular practice and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed. It is also helpful to stay organized and manage your time effectively to cover all the topics in the syllabus.

5. What resources are available for A-level math and physics?

There are many resources available for A-level math and physics, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice questions, and past papers. Your school or college may also provide additional resources such as study guides and revision classes. It is important to make use of these resources to enhance your understanding and prepare for exams.