What unexpected twists and turns can occur in the workplace?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the company that Warren was laid off from has closed down, he's been traded to a new company, and he's now a civilian.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Just to cause confusion. :rofl: Actually, it's been a really strange couple of weeks.

Two weeks ago, all our company's employees working on a contract were supposed to go to a mandatory meeting in our company's district office.

At the last minute, it's canceled. Two days later, we find out our district manager has quit with no notice and the company has decided to close the district office rather than replace him.

Last week, everyone in my office is notified that they're being laid off at the end of the month except for me.

Tuesday, we meet our new boss (Nice, eh? We work a couple contracts in the area, so not all of the attendees were being laid off, but enough that she must have felt at least a little uncomfortable)

This morning, our company's completely dropped from the contract we were working on.

Except for me - I've been traded to a new company. :bugeye: :frown: :biggrin: :uhh: :cry: :smile: (I'm not really sure which smiley you're supposed to use for a situation like this)

Now I finally feel like a real civilian. Life was never this exciting when I was in the Air Force.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I'd be bewildered.

Wow Bob:bugeye: {thinking this is the right smiley for the response}

BobG said:
Just to cause confusion. :rofl: Actually, it's been a really strange couple of weeks.
Obviously they're aware of your status here at PF and realized how valuable you are. I mean, are any of the employess that were laid off PF members?

Dr. Foofer has plans for him. <insert maniacal cat laughter>

- Warren

chroot said:
Dr. Foofer has plans for him. <insert maniacal cat laughter>

- Warren
:rofl: Another of Dr Foofer's minions.

BobG said:
Life was never this exciting when I was in the Air Force.

Contract work: It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

Evo said:
Obviously they're aware of your status here at PF and realized how valuable you are. I mean, are any of the employess that were laid off PF members?
Fortunately, I remembered to wear my lucky T-shirt today. :approve:

This T-shirt might have helped more. If they got rid of everyone from my company, there'd be no one left on contract to read the T-shirt.

Part of my job is training and I developed a couple courses the government flat out loved, so cutting the courses wasn't an option. Except the prime had subcontracted out for the expertise instead of hiring their own - well, at least until today.

Evidently, our two companies didn't get along very well at the management level. When the budget started to get squeezed, dropping our company made life easier for the prime in a couple different ways.

I just know one way or the other I'm going to take a short term hit on this, but as I get more details, it doesn't look all that bad for the long term.

Edit: You know, there's a really funny story about those courses that my new company isn't going to realize until tomorrow morning when I give them my paper work. I really wasn't qualified to do that. I just remember listening to that stupid commercial on the radio for Monster.com or some other job search company, "Imagine yourself interviewing for a job you always thought was over your head ... and knocking their socks off". That's so cool ... until you actually get the job. I had to check one of Michael Kelley's Calculus Guides out of the library and teach myself calculus while I wrote the courses. I think I learned linear algebra off the internet. About the only reason I was able to do that is that, with 20 years experience, I already had a pretty good idea how everything should end up, plus, it was just bizarre enough a thing to do that I didn't really care how much time I was spending on it ... and then there's fact that I was eventually going to have to stand up in front of this stuff in a classroom and the opportunity for humiliation is always a pretty strong motivator.

Attachments

• t-shirt.JPG
    t-shirt.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

1. What makes a day "strange"?

There is no one answer to this question as everyone's perception of a strange day may differ. However, some common factors that may contribute to a strange day include unexpected events, unusual occurrences, and a sense of things being out of the ordinary.

2. Can a strange day have a scientific explanation?

Yes, a strange day can have a scientific explanation. Sometimes, unusual events can be attributed to natural phenomena or human behavior. Other times, they may be a result of our own perceptions and emotions.

3. How can we cope with a strange day?

There are various ways to cope with a strange day, depending on the individual's preferences and circumstances. Some strategies may include taking a break, talking to a trusted friend or family member, practicing mindfulness, and engaging in activities that bring joy and relaxation.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for why some people have more strange days than others?

There is no definitive scientific explanation for why some people may have more strange days than others. However, it could be due to a combination of factors such as individual personality, external circumstances, and personal beliefs.

5. Can a strange day have long-term effects on our well-being?

It is possible for a strange day to have long-term effects on our well-being, especially if it is a result of a traumatic or distressing event. However, it is important to seek support and practice self-care to cope with any negative effects and move forward in a healthy way.