Light Travel Time from Sun to Earth - HELP-HOMEWORK

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of time it takes for a light ray to travel from the sun to the earth, given the velocity of light and the distance between the two bodies. This can be solved by using the formula: distance = velocity x time.
Ms. P
HELP-HOMEWORK...Hi, I have homework that ask "Using the velocity of light find an approximate value for the amount of time that it takes a light ray to travel from the sun to the earth." Now I know the distance between the Earth and the sun is 93 million miles but I'm not catching on to the question can anyone shed some light for me.(pun intended)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
help

Answer this question first: How long does it take you to drive 25 miles at 25 miles an hour? I bet you know that. Well, your question is the same. You got the velocity (182,000 miles a second -- instead of 25 miles an hour), you have the distance (93 million miles -- instead of 25 miles). Solve it.

Sure, I'd be happy to shed some light on this topic for you. First, it's important to understand that the speed of light is an incredibly fast and constant value. It is approximately 186,282 miles per second. With this information, we can calculate the approximate time it takes for light to travel from the sun to the Earth.

To do this, we can use the formula: distance = speed x time. In this case, the distance is 93 million miles and the speed is 186,282 miles per second. So, we can rearrange the formula to solve for time: time = distance/speed. Plugging in the values, we get: time = 93,000,000 miles / 186,282 miles per second, which gives us a time of approximately 499 seconds or 8.3 minutes.

So, in summary, it takes about 8.3 minutes for light to travel from the sun to the Earth. I hope this helps with your homework!

1. How long does it take for light to travel from the sun to the Earth?

The average distance from the sun to the Earth is about 93 million miles. Light travels at a speed of about 186,282 miles per second, so it takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds for light to travel from the sun to the Earth.

2. Why does light take time to travel from the sun to the Earth?

Light travels at a finite speed, meaning it takes time to travel from one point to another. This is because light is made up of tiny particles called photons, and these particles have a certain speed limit. Therefore, even though light travels incredibly fast, it still takes time to reach us from the sun.

3. Does the distance between the sun and the Earth affect the time it takes for light to travel?

Yes, the distance between two objects affects the time it takes for light to travel between them. The farther apart two objects are, the longer it will take for light to reach from one to the other.

4. How is the speed of light calculated?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics and is usually denoted by the letter "c". It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. In the case of light traveling from the sun to the Earth, the distance is about 93 million miles and the time is 8 minutes and 20 seconds, resulting in a speed of approximately 186,282 miles per second.

5. Can light travel faster or slower than its current speed?

Currently, the speed of light is believed to be the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. This is known as the theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, and has been confirmed by numerous experiments. So, it is not possible for light to travel faster or slower than its current speed.