Did the PF brain transplant succeed?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, the PF brain transplant was successful and the new server is up and running. Some members may still be on the old server depending on when their local ISP updates their DNS record. There are instructions for checking if you are on the new server for both PC and Mac users. There were a few hiccups along the way, but the server is now stable and all messages and members from the old server will be merged to the new one.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Did the PF brain transplant work? Is the patient alive and well?

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently so. I'm back where I want to be after a miserable afternoon, and it seems faster than ever. :smile:

that was painful.

Did it happen already? Does that mean the torture of my parents coming to town today spared me the torture of clicking refresh endlessly?

You may still be on the old server. Depends when your local ISP updates their DNS record. By tomorrow night most should be on the new server :smile:

Is there a way to know if we're on the new or old server?

That explains why this morning when I looked at General Discussion, there were only a handful of people viewing. Probably most of the DNS updates were done overnight, and my ISP didn't get around to it until mid-day today.

Greg Bernhardt said:
goto run then type ping physicsforums.com

the IP should be 75.126.62.146
Is there a Mac version of these instructions? :biggrin:

I'll just assume that by morning I must be on the new server, if I'm not already.

Try this Moonbear:

1. Double-click on the Hard Drive icon > Applications folder > Utilities folder > Network Utility program.
2. Select the Ping tab and enter the hostname, where hostname can be a domain name, a machine name or an IP address. (i.e. physicsforums.com)
3. Press Enter.

Thanks z-component! It seems I'm on the new server. Now...just as soon as everyone else joins me here... :biggrin:

Yay! I'm here, finally! That was a long two days in PF purgatory. It was getting pretty lonely back on the old server. When I last checked, about four hours ago, there was one member online (me) and nine guests.

That's what you get for being the newest mentor...someone had to stay behind and lock up the doors and turn off the lights at the old server. :biggrin: Glad you finally were able to join us over here at the new place.

Ok, the server is hosed up again.

Evo said:
Ok, the server is hosed up again.

The server is not hosed. I screwed up and had to assign the hostname a different IP which sets back the DNS again.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The server is not hosed. I screwed up and had to assign the hostname a different IP which sets back the DNS again.
You should have just blamed it on the server. :smile:

That was torture! :cry:

ahh...all is right with the world again.

Phobos said:
Don't jinx it!

so what happened :confused:

yomamma said:
so what happened :confused:
Modern technology. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Modern technology. :biggrin:
It's not modern technology it's the people who try to run the modern technology.

Phobos said:
Now it is! I've been home from work for hours and couldn't get on! Apparently whatever needed updating happens faster with the university server than for my home IP. :cry: It was torture! All I had to entertain myself was the crazy cat intent on biting my toes tonight. I think she O.D.ed on catnip!

jtbell said:
Yay! I'm here, finally!

Looks like I spoke too soon. :blushing: The next time I tried to connect, I got a plain site directory listing with nothing but "Parent" and "cgi-bin" folders. I figured I must be back on the old server again, where the old site had already been dismantled, leaving only those remnants behind. It was that way for more than a day. I think I'll just lurk for a day or two, until I'm satisfied that things are stable again. :uhh:

At least I could occupy myself with the World Series in the meantime. Unfortunately the conclusion was not to my liking. Detroit's pitching staff needs to spend the winter working on their fielding skills. :yuck:

jtbell said:
The next time I tried to connect, I got a plain site directory listing with nothing but "Parent" and "cgi-bin" folders. I figured I must be back on the old server again, where the old site had already been dismantled, leaving only those remnants behind. It was that way for more than a day.
I saw the same thing for more than a day. :cry:

Yep, that's what I was seeing too. It seemed everyone else had already moved, and all that was left behind were a few boxes that didn't fit into the moving van. :frown:

Are the new messages and members from the old server going to be merged to the new server?

All i can say is well done Greg, now you can relax with elli may, but from now on take a holliday from server gizzards.

1. Did the PF brain transplant succeed?

The success of a brain transplant is a highly debated topic in the scientific community. While there have been some successful animal experiments, there is currently no evidence that a brain transplant has been successfully performed on a human.

2. What is a PF brain transplant?

A PF brain transplant, also known as a body-to-body transplant, is a surgical procedure where a living brain is transplanted into a new body. It is a highly controversial and experimental procedure that has not yet been successfully performed on humans.

3. How does a PF brain transplant work?

A PF brain transplant involves removing the brain from the original body and placing it into a new body. The brain is connected to the new body's circulatory system and spinal cord, and the patient is put into a medically-induced coma to prevent rejection of the transplanted brain. The process is extremely complex and has a high risk of failure.

4. What are the potential risks of a PF brain transplant?

As with any major surgical procedure, there are significant risks associated with a PF brain transplant. These include rejection of the transplanted brain, failure to integrate with the new body's nervous system, and the risk of infection or other complications.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding PF brain transplants?

Yes, there are many ethical concerns surrounding PF brain transplants. Some argue that the procedure goes against the natural order of life and raises questions about the definition of identity and consciousness. Others argue that the risks and potential harm to the patient are too great to justify the procedure.