Test Your Smarts: Spot Fake Smiles

• Thread starter Mistress Lilith
  • Start date
In summary: It was an interesting study of how quickly a smile can change.In summary, the test measures how quickly a smile can change from friendly to inquisitive.
Physics news on Phys.org
that was supreme! the other tests look interesting too.
thanx. :smile:

16 out of 20 correct :) <- is that a genuine smile or not?

Cool!

I got 17 out of 20. I must say YOUR (avatar) smile is a bit hard to read, tho. I would need some eyeballs in those sockets to know for sure...:wink:

is one good too? or you need both?

<-me

Originally posted by Monique
16 out of 20 correct :) <- is that a genuine smile or not?
Seriously, Monique, is that a real smile in your pic or your "photo smile" ?

Originally posted by firefly
that was supreme! the other tests look interesting too.
thanx. :smile:
I'm really glad you liked it :wink:

13/20, i expected to get a lot less. i thought Evo was talkin bout you Lilith...

well i got 14 out of 20 but interesting test.

Originally posted by jimmy p
13/20, i expected to get a lot less. i thought Evo was talkin bout you Lilith...
I thought it was to me too, but Monique already answered for herself, so I just didn't bother (what can I say, I'm just lazy :wink: )
Anyways, the smile in my avatar is all real! Can't you see how massive the grin is!

PS- I got 15 right. And I was guessing the whole time LoL.

Originally posted by Mistress Lilith
Anyways, the smile in my avatar is all real! Can't you see how massive the grin is!

...of course...

Originally posted by jimmy p

Hey Jimmy, I got 13/20 too! Being a pessimist, I thought that most of the smiles were fake. So it really is quite lucky of me to get 13. I still cannot tell the difference between a fake and genuine smile. Certainly, I am a lost case.

19/20 Get some! Taking the perception one now!

12/20 blegh!

<------I have nice teeth, see?

10/20

I choose False for all of them

I don't do flash, but I expect that there are some basic indicators like:
Open eyes - no squinting.
Rounded eyebrows instead of slanted ones >: >
A generally symetric facial expression.
No strain in the cheeks.

and that it's still feasible to fake a smile by thinking of something pleasant.

Ah I see that none of you guys are artists. The difference between a real and a fake smile is this: in a real smile the obiculari oculi are active, causing the familiar "crow's feet" at the corner of the eye. Only trained actors, and only a handful, have conscious control over the oculi muscles, and are able to include their activity in a fake smile.

I look at the time it takes to relax the face muscles. A real smile is hard to relax a lingers on.

Today I was sitting in the train and there was this girl sitting across from me. She smiled friendlyly at a lady who sat herself down next to her. The second the lady looked away, the girl's smile changed into an inquisitive look like 'why did you have to sit down here'

1. What is the purpose of "Test Your Smarts: Spot Fake Smiles"?

The purpose of "Test Your Smarts: Spot Fake Smiles" is to assess an individual's ability to distinguish between genuine and fake smiles.

2. How does the test work?

The test presents participants with a series of images of smiling individuals and asks them to identify which smiles are genuine and which are fake. Participants must base their judgments on facial cues and expressions.

3. What is the importance of being able to spot fake smiles?

Being able to spot fake smiles can be valuable in social and professional interactions, as it allows individuals to better understand and interpret emotions and intentions of others.

4. Who can take this test?

Anyone can take this test, as it does not require any specialized knowledge or training. It is commonly used in psychology research and can also be taken for personal interest or development.

5. Is the ability to spot fake smiles a learned skill or is it innate?

The ability to spot fake smiles is a combination of both learned and innate skills. While some individuals may have a natural ability to recognize facial expressions, others can improve their skills through practice and observation.