Geometric sequence, determining the value of the first term

In summary, the value of the first term, a, in a geometric series can be determined by using the formula a_n = a_1 * r^(n-1), where a_n is the nth term and r is the common ratio. In this specific problem, the 3rd term is -3 and the 9th term is -192. By setting up two equations using this formula, we can solve for r and a_1. After solving, we get r = 2 and a_1 = -3/4. Therefore, the value of the first term, a, is -3/4.
tug187
question - if the 3rd and 9th term of a geometric series with a positive common ratio are -3 and -192 respectively, determine the value fo the first term, a.

I kno we using
a_n=a_1r^n-1

From that i got this :

-3 = a_1r^2
-192 = a_1r^8

But I don't kno how I can solve for r or a_1... I also don't know if I even did it right

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you have two equations in two unknowns, don't you? How do you generally solve such things?

Hurkyl said:
Well, you have two equations in two unknowns, don't you? How do you generally solve such things?

thats what I am wondering.. I don't think the way your thinking of works.. I forgot how to figure out the common ratio that's all i really need to know

You need to solve the equations you wrote down to get r=

-3 = a_1r^2
-192 = a_1r^8

roger said:
You need to solve the equations you wrote down to get r=

-3 = a_1r^2
-192 = a_1r^8

thats what i don't understand, on other questions i got the common ratio easily by using the term before it but these 2 terms r not after each other so i don't know how to figure them out
to make it more clear its:
-3=a1r2
-192=a1r8

tug187 said:
thats what i don't understand, on other questions i got the common ratio easily by using the term before it but these 2 terms r not after each other so i don't know how to figure them out
to make it more clear its:
-3=a1r2
-192=a1r8

What happens if you divide the second equation by the first?

d_leet said:
What happens if you divide the second equation by the first?

64 = r6 ?
26 = r6
r = 2?

anyone kno if this is right?

Well, if you computed a_1 too, you could check for yourself to see if it's right!

Hurkyl said:
Well, if you computed a_1 too, you could check for yourself to see if it's right!

Ok...

ifwe know that term 3 is -3,
a3 = a1*r^3-1
-3 = a1*2^2
-3 = 4*a1
-3/4 = a1

should be right

1. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each successive term is found by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number called the common ratio.

2. How do you determine the value of the first term in a geometric sequence?

To determine the value of the first term in a geometric sequence, you need to know the common ratio and at least one other term in the sequence. You can then use the formula a1 = an / rn-1, where a1 is the first term, an is any term in the sequence, and r is the common ratio.

3. What is the common ratio in a geometric sequence?

The common ratio in a geometric sequence is the number that is multiplied by each term to get the next term in the sequence. It remains constant throughout the entire sequence and is denoted by the letter r.

4. Can a geometric sequence have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric sequence can have a negative common ratio. This means that the terms in the sequence will alternate between positive and negative numbers.

5. What is the difference between a geometric sequence and an arithmetic sequence?

The main difference between a geometric sequence and an arithmetic sequence is that in a geometric sequence, each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number (the common ratio), whereas in an arithmetic sequence, each term is found by adding a fixed number (the common difference) to the previous term.