How was LaTeX implemented on Physics Forum software?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter caffeine
  • Start date
Physics Forums admin)In summary, Physics Forums is based on vBulletin and LaTeX was implemented separately by one of the admins. There is a LaTeX modification for vBulletin, but it is uncertain if that is the one used by Physics Forums. The site is well-designed and functional, and the admin who implemented LaTeX continues to work on it when possible.
caffeine
What code is Physics Forums based on? Is this phpBB?

But most fascinating is using LaTeX in the posts. It's brilliant. Is that a "plugin" for phpBB? Or was it developed by the people who run Physics Forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Forums uses vBulletin. LaTeX was implemented separately, I believe by chroot, one of the admins here.

Last edited by a moderator:
caffeine said:
What code is Physics Forums based on? Is this phpBB?

But most fascinating is using LaTeX in the posts. It's brilliant. Is that a "plugin" for phpBB? Or was it developed by the people who run Physics Forum?

If you want to see if there is a LaTeX plugin for phpBB, I suggest that you check their modification database.

There are a couple of LaTeX generators out there that render images that can be posted on message boards such as http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/index.php

I just found out that there is actually one LaTeX modification for vBulletin http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91545, but I cannot say if that is the one that physicsforums is using.

The whole site is very impressive. Looks good, but still is *very* functional. Whichever group of people implemented it are very talented.

I put the LaTeX rendering into the site a long time ago, through some custom additions to the vBulletin source. Since, I've changed it into a "plug-in," so at least it won't be obliterated each time we do an upgrade. A number of other people have also implemented plug-ins that achieve similar functionality, but none of them existed when I first introduced the feature on physicsforums. :biggrin:

In truth, it still needs a little work, but it's mostly functional and I have very little time these days to hack on it. Thanks for the kind words, though. :smile:

- Warren

Likes yucheng

1. What is Physics Forum software?

Physics Forum software is a specialized computer program designed for online discussion and collaboration related to physics topics. It allows users to post questions, share their knowledge, and engage in discussions with other members of the physics community.

2. How does Physics Forum software work?

Physics Forum software operates on a server and is accessible through a web browser. Users can create accounts, post questions, and participate in discussions by commenting on posts. The software also includes features such as search functionality, private messaging, and user profiles.

3. Is Physics Forum software free to use?

Yes, Physics Forum software is free to use for both individual users and organizations. However, some features may require a paid subscription, such as advanced search options or the ability to create private forums.

4. Can I trust the information on Physics Forum software?

The information on Physics Forum software is contributed by a community of users, so it is important to critically evaluate the information and sources provided. However, the software does have a moderation system in place to ensure that inappropriate or inaccurate content is removed.

5. Can I contribute to Physics Forum software?

Yes, anyone can contribute to Physics Forum software by creating an account and posting questions or participating in discussions. Users can also help improve the software by reporting any technical issues or suggesting new features to the developers.