Finding the Centroid Using Green's Theorem: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses using Green's Theorem to find the centroid of a region D with a constant density function. The formula for Green's Theorem is given, as well as the formula for calculating the mass of a region with a constant density function. The coordinates of the centroid are derived using Green's Theorem, and the conversation ends with a clarification on the use of Green's Theorem in this context.
bodensee9
Can someone help me with the following? I'm supposed to find the centroid of a region D using Green's Theorem. Assume that this density function is constant.

∫Pdx + ∫Qdy = ∫∫(dQ/dx)-(dP/dy)
A = ∫xdy = -∫ydx = ½*∫xdy - ydx

I know that the mass of a region D with constant density function is ∫kdA (which is the area times some constant K). Let's make it easy and assume that k = 1 with the area A. So, the centroid of the region D would be located at (1/A*∫∫xdA) and (1/A*∫∫ydA). So, if I set Pdx as -ydx, and Qdy as xdy, I would get from Green's Theorem that ∫Pdx = -∫∫ydxdy and ∫Qdy = ∫∫xdxdy. But if you divide by A this is the expression for the coordinates of the centroid, since ∫∫xdxdy = ∫∫xdA and -∫∫ydxdy = ∫∫ydA. So you have the coordinates as 1/2A∫x^2/dy and 1/2A∫-y^2dx as the coordinates? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Setting P=0, Q=x^2/2 gives you x integrated over the surface and P=(-y)^2/2, Q=0 gives you y. So your final conclusion is correct.

I know this is an old thread, but I need to understand the derived centroid coordinates from Green's theorem.

I basically got lost when he said "So, if I set Pdx as -ydx, and Qdy as xdy, I would get from Green's Theorem that∫Pdx = -∫∫ydxdy and ∫Qdy = ∫∫xdxdy."

By my understanding, ∫Pdx = ∫-ydx, using Green's theorem,
∫∫(dQ/dx - dP/dy)dA = ∫∫(--1)dxdy = ∫∫dA = A?

I know you know it's an old thread, but parasitizing old threads is an almost sure way to get completely ignored. If Q=x^2/2 then dQ/dx is x. That's all I'm going to say until you do the right thing and post your own problems.

1. What is a centroid?

A centroid is a geometric center or average location of a shape, often referred to as the "center of mass". In 2-dimensional shapes, it is the point where all the medians intersect, while in 3-dimensional shapes, it is the point where all the diagonals intersect.

2. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area of a 2-dimensional shape by evaluating a line integral along the boundary of the shape. It relates the area of a shape to the line integrals of its boundary, making it a useful tool for solving problems related to centroids.

3. How is Green's Theorem used to find the centroid of a shape?

To find the centroid of a shape using Green's Theorem, we first divide the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and calculate the centroid of each of these shapes. Then, using Green's Theorem, we can find the centroid of the original shape by taking a weighted average of the centroids of the smaller shapes, where the weight is determined by the area of each smaller shape.

4. What are the advantages of using Green's Theorem to find the centroid?

Using Green's Theorem to find the centroid of a shape has several advantages. Firstly, it allows us to find the centroid of complex shapes by breaking them down into simpler shapes. Additionally, it is a more efficient and accurate method compared to other techniques, such as using the formula for the average of coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's Theorem for finding the centroid?

While Green's Theorem is a powerful tool for calculating the centroid of a shape, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for 2-dimensional shapes and requires the boundary of the shape to be smooth and closed. Additionally, it may not be suitable for shapes with holes or self-intersections.