Is Richard Feynman's Description of Electrons as Almost Real Valid?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, Richard Feynman, in his book "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman", discusses the concept of the electron as a useful theory that can almost be considered real. He acknowledges the experimental evidence supporting the theory but still refers to it as a theory. He also compares the theory of electrons to a theory of the inside of a brick, where our senses can only perceive the surface and we must use theory and instruments to understand the inside. This philosophy is also evident in Feynman's popularization of scientific ideas in his book "QED", where he discusses the role of theories and instruments in our understanding of the world.
Jimmy Snyder
In the book "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman", by Richard Feynman, on page 70 in the section entitled "A Map of the Cat" is the following (emphasis his):

Richard Feynman said:
The electron is a theory that we use; it is so useful that we can almost call it real.

What do you make of this statement? Surely no one here thinks that Professor Feynman was unaware of the experimental evidence in support of the theory. Why almost real, not really real?

Later in the same paragraph he says:

Richard Feynman said:
Everytime you break the brick, you only see a surface. That the brick has an inside is a simple theory which helps us understand things better. The theory of electrons is analogous.

Can you explain the analogy to me so I can understand it better?

Please do not accuse me of taking him out of context. I have given you the name of the book and the page number. If you feel that there is important context that I have left out, please add it to this thread.

The book in question is not a scientific text, it's not even a popularization of scientific ideas. It's a kind of autobiography. Did he in his scientific writings say that electrons were not a theory?

In his book QED, which is a popularization of scientific ideas he writes on page 4:

Richard Feynman said:
Around 1900 a theory was developed to explain what matter was. It was called the electron theory of matter, and it said that there were little charged particles inside of atoms. This theory evolved gradually to include a heavy nucleus with electrons going around it.
What do you make of it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have not read the book but from a different discussion I think I know what you are getting at. I am interested in your query. I believe the fundamental question has merit both philosophically and scientifically.

A mentor has stated in a different thread that solipsism is impossible to disprove. If so then all we can absolutely rely on is our own perceptions. They may be inaccurate, they may be skewed, but they are the only available way for our mind to communicate with anything outside of itself. In spite of the possible inaccuracy of our perceptions, we can still form theories to explain our observations of what we perceive as happening in the world external to our own mind.

The use of measuring instruments certainly provides an extension to our senses but in final analysis we do not perceive what they do, we only perceive their output. Is it more accurate to say that "North is this way" or to say that "the compass points this way"? The former is a conclusion whereas the latter is a perception. We can directly perceive the output of a measuring device (the compass) and know that this is what we saw. We cannot be sure that what we saw was completely accurate, but once again what we see is all we have: the compass points this way. (And "see" is the correct term here since we cannot smell, taste, listen to or touch the needle under the glass.)

The conclusion that "North is this way" is a deduction. It may be false because the compass' pivot may be rusty, the needle may be demagnetized, because the device points to magnetic North when we may want true North (a common mistake). Other factors I am not thinking about can possibly make our conclusion incorrect. So a conclusion that "North is this way" relies on trust in the instrument we use and trust in theories regarding relative stability of magnetic Earth and so on. I think this is an important consideration (again, both philosophically and scientifically).

Originally Posted by Richard Feynman
The electron is a theory that we use; it is so useful that we can almost call it real.
What do you make of this statement?

I don't have the context of the book but it sounds like he means that the theory has proven itself repeatedly and is eminently useable, yet it remains a theory. Just like the compass theory. It is falsifiable.

Everytime you break the brick, you only see a surface. That the brick has an inside is a simple theory which helps us understand things better. The theory of electrons is analogous.
Can you explain the analogy to me so I can understand it better?

No context needed here. When I look at a solid, I only see the surface with my own eyes. I assume that there is something inside, that is, I formulate a hypothesis. To confirm my hypothesis, I break the brick and look at the result of my experiment. Unfortunately, I still only see the outside of the pieces, a surface once again. There may be a new surface where the brick was split, but I still do not see the "inside" I was looking for. My senses do not allow me to see through the brick material so no matter what I do, all I ever see is more and more surface.

I easily resolve this limitation of my senses by formulating a "theory of the inside" which stipulates that whenever I break a solid, its "inside" property causes a new surface to be created. I can never see the inside of the brick but my theory that it is there is proven time and time again: all experiments confirm the inside property.

Next step: find a way to peer inside solid matter. I cannot do this myself but I can devise instruments that appear to be able to do this using ultrasounds, X-Rays, etc. Then, like the compass, these instruments become an intricate part of other theories.

Feynman has also said "Shut Up And Calculate". How come you don't heed that one?

Zz.

1. What is the main purpose of "Some modest questions."?

The main purpose of "Some modest questions." is to explore and gather information on various topics or ideas that may not have definitive answers or may not be widely discussed.

2. How are the questions in "Some modest questions." chosen?

The questions in "Some modest questions." are chosen based on the curiosity and interests of the author, as well as potential relevance and thought-provoking nature.

3. Can anyone contribute to "Some modest questions."?

Yes, anyone can contribute to "Some modest questions." by submitting their own questions or ideas through the author's designated platform or by reaching out directly.

4. Are the answers provided in "Some modest questions." based on scientific evidence?

The answers provided in "Some modest questions." are based on a combination of scientific evidence and the author's personal opinions and interpretations. However, the author strives to provide well-researched and accurate information.

5. How can "Some modest questions." benefit readers?

"Some modest questions." can benefit readers by expanding their knowledge and understanding of various topics, sparking critical thinking and discussions, and encouraging them to question and explore their own ideas and beliefs.