Eigenvalues of an unitary operator

In summary, a unitary operator U has the property U(U+)=(U+)U=I, and it is proven that the eigenvalues of a unitary operator are of the form e^i(a) with a being real. This can be shown without using Dirac notation, by assuming the spectral equation U\psi =a\psi has solutions in a Hilbert space \mathcal{H}, and using the isometry condition <x,y>=<Ux,Uy> to get the desired result. Isometry means <x,y>=<Ux,Uy>, and setting y=x and x as an eigenvector of U leads to the conclusion of the desired form of eigenvalues.
jnazor

Homework Statement

A unitary operator U has the property
U(U+)=(U+)U=I [where U+ is U dagger and I is the identity operator]

Prove that the eigenvalues of a unitary operator are of the form e^i(a) with a being real.

NB: I haven't been taught dirac notation yet. Is there a way i can do this without it?

Homework Equations

U(U+)=(U+)U=I [where U+ is U dagger and I is the identity operator]

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume eigenvalues exist
U(a)=x(a) => (U+)U(a)=(U+)x(a) => (a)=(U+)x(a)??

Physics news on Phys.org
note that you don't need to understand Dirac notation, all you need to know is some basic linear algebra in finite dimensional space. hint: "of the form [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex]" means that magnitude of complex e-vals are 1

HINT: U unitary means U isometry. Assume the spectral equation

[tex] U\psi =a\psi [/tex] (1)

has solutions in a Hilbert space [itex] \mathcal{H} [/itex].

Then use (1), the assumption regarding the space of solutions and the isometry condition to get the desired result.

Sorry I've never heard of isometry or the name spectral equation. I just know it as the eigenvalue equation.

Isometry means <x,y>=<Ux,Uy>. Why is this true for U unitary? Once you believe it's true set y=x and x to be an eigenvector of U. What do you conclude?

What is an eigenvalue of an unitary operator?

An eigenvalue of an unitary operator is a scalar value that represents a special characteristic of the operator. It is obtained by solving the characteristic equation of the operator.

What is the significance of eigenvalues in unitary operators?

Eigenvalues of an unitary operator play a crucial role in understanding the properties and behavior of the operator. They determine the unitary equivalence of the operator, and provide important information about its spectrum and structure.

How do you calculate the eigenvalues of an unitary operator?

The eigenvalues of an unitary operator can be calculated by solving the characteristic equation, which is a polynomial equation of the form det(U - λI) = 0, where U is the unitary operator and λ is the eigenvalue. This can be done using methods such as diagonalization or Schur decomposition.

What is the relationship between eigenvalues and eigenvectors of an unitary operator?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of an unitary operator are closely related. The eigenvalues represent the scaling factor for the eigenvectors, which are the special vectors that are unchanged under the action of the operator.

Why are eigenvalues of an unitary operator always complex numbers?

Eigenvalues of an unitary operator are always complex numbers because unitary operators are generally defined on complex vector spaces. Since the eigenvalues are the roots of a polynomial equation, they can be real or complex, but they are always necessary to be complex in order to satisfy the unitarity condition.