Answer Elastic Collisions: Can It Be Solved Easily?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in basic mechanics involving an elastic collision between a ball and a block. The problem asks for the final height of the ball after the collision, and the conversation includes equations and a formula to solve for this height. The conversation also discusses the difficulty of solving this problem quickly without resorting to memorization.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

I'm wondering if I'm forgetting some key point about elastic collisions from my basic mechanics. If you don't want to read my lengthy solution, just read the problem statement and then answer the following: can this problem be solved essentially at a glance, without the lengthy algebra I used? This is a Physics GRE problem, which means that I would have ~ 1.5 min to solve it under actual test conditions.

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m, suspended from a wire, is released from height h and collides elastically, when it is at its lowest point, with a block of mass 2m at rest on a frictionless surface. After the collision, to what final height does the ball rise, in terms of h?

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of momentum holds. Given that this is an elastic collision, kinetic energy is also conserved. Finally, at the instant of collision, all velocities lie along one coordinate direction, reducing this to a one-dimensional problem. Using all of this info, we arrive at two equations:

[tex] mv_0^2 = mv_1^2 + 2mv_2^2 [/tex][tex] mv_0 = mv_1 + 2mv_2 [/tex]

where v0 is the initial velocity of the ball at the instant it collides with the block, and v1 and v2 are the velocities just after the collision of the ball and block, respectively. For the nitpickers, every instance of the term 'velocity' above should probably be replaced with 'speed' or 'magnitude of velocity.' After some lengthy algebra, I obtain the formula:

[tex] v_1 = \frac{m - 2m}{m+2m}v_0 [/tex][tex] = -\frac{1}{3}v_0 [/tex]

Using T and U for kinetic and potential energies respectively, the answer follows immediately (since only conservative forces act on the ball):

[tex] \frac{T_{\textrm{after}}}{T_{\textrm{before}}} = \frac{v_1^2}{v_0^2} = \frac{U_{\textrm{after}}}{U_{\textrm{before}}} = \frac{mgh_{\textrm{final}}}{mgh} [/tex]

[tex] h_{\textrm{final}} = \frac{1}{9}h [/tex]​

This is the correct answer. Again, is there some way to solve this problem in about a minute without resorting to this derivation or to memorizing the results for the final velocities of the two colliding particles? I agree that the GRE does call for memorization of certain results and formulas beyond the fundamental ones, but "the velocity just after an elastic collision of a particle having collided with another stationary particle" seems like far too particular a result to memorize, especially for an exam that will test one's knowledge of all of undergraduate physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump for this thread

you might want to just remember the results for one D elastic collisions, which really its not that bad because of symmetry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum (scroll down to the relevant section).

maybe you can remember the equation for two objects of different mass colliding with the same speed, you could use that by looking at the problem from a moving frame of 1/2V0.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before and after the collision remains the same.

Can elastic collisions be solved easily?

No, elastic collisions can be quite complex and require knowledge of physics and mathematics to solve. They often involve multiple variables and equations.

What are the factors that affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The outcome of an elastic collision is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved, as well as the angle and direction of their motion.

Are there any real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of elastic collisions. One common example is billiards or pool, where the balls undergo elastic collisions with each other and the table cushions.

How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.