Designing for diverse cultures

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Designing
In summary, this thread is filled with people trying to find reasons why an innocuous gesture could be offensive to a certain race. They come up with all sorts of convoluted explanations, but the bottom line is that it's wrong to judge others based on their cultural norms.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I was just reading the http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/" closes with a list of some common things to avoid:
  • Pictures of flags or money
  • Maps showing political boundaries or contentious location names
  • Lists of countries or cities in non-alphabetical order (unless specifically requested or required by the context)
  • Icons depicting animals
  • Icons depicting only hands or feet
Does anyone know the reason behind the last one? Why and to whom might depicting only hands or feet be offensive or suggest something probably unintended? I can't think of anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand it, Islam forbids any iconography (including images of Mohammed), which is why Moslem art and architecture is characterized by geometric designs and scrolls. That would account for the avoidance of animal icons, which is not what you asked, but I mention it because I think what's really being suggested is that designers should be sensitive to the Arabic culture.

Which brings me to your question. Arabs can be very offended by body language involving hands and especially feet in ways that might seem harmless to others. For instance, it is considered impolite to point the sole of your foot or shoe at another person. So just to be on the safe side, it might be best to avoid any depictions of hands or feet.

That's all I can think of.

(Of course, there are many non-Arab Moslems as well)

Last edited:
Ah, right. That makes sense. I'll have to read more about that now. Thanks! :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Ah, right. That makes sense. I'll have to read more about that now. Thanks! :smile:

This thread is so wrong, why should some gesture be insufferable to one race,
and acceptable to another? are we as the (human race) so narrow minded,
if we can not call a spade a spade how the heck will we ever communicate without hostility.

1. How can I design for diverse cultures?

Designing for diverse cultures requires a deep understanding and appreciation of different cultures. This includes researching cultural norms, values, and beliefs, as well as considering factors like language, aesthetics, and accessibility. It is important to involve people from diverse cultures in the design process and to constantly seek feedback and make adjustments accordingly.

2. Why is it important to design for diverse cultures?

Designing for diverse cultures is important because it ensures that products, services, and environments are inclusive and accessible to people from all backgrounds. It also shows respect and appreciation for different cultures and can lead to better user experiences and more successful designs.

3. How can I avoid cultural appropriation in my designs?

To avoid cultural appropriation, it is important to understand the difference between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriation. This involves doing thorough research and consulting with members of the culture to ensure that your design is respectful and accurately represents their traditions and beliefs. It is also important to give credit and compensation to the culture that inspired your design.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing for diverse cultures?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing for diverse cultures include making assumptions about cultural norms and values, using stereotypical or offensive imagery, and failing to involve people from the culture in the design process. It is also important to be aware of cultural sensitivities and to approach designs with empathy and respect.

5. How can I measure the success of my design for diverse cultures?

The success of a design for diverse cultures can be measured by how well it meets the needs and expectations of the target audience. This can be done through user testing, gathering feedback from people from diverse cultures, and tracking metrics such as engagement and satisfaction. It is also important to continuously evaluate and improve the design to ensure its effectiveness in reaching a diverse audience.