Why is a minor concentration not granted after graduation for a degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, a minor concentration cannot be granted after graduation for a degree because it is meant to be earned while studying for the major degree. Usually, a minor consists of core courses and a few upper division courses in the minor field. It is possible to return to college after earning a degree and complete the courses for a desired minor field. However, the value of having a minor on paper is debatable as what truly matters is the knowledge gained from the additional courses.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Why is a minor concentration not grantable in a particular subject AFTER graduation for a degree? Why must a student earn the minor concentration credits WHILE studying for the major degree? Usually a minor concentration with your degree only is ~core courses and two or three more upper division courses in the minor field; so why not return to college some time after earning a bacalaureate degree and then do the courses in the desired minor field?

'symbolipoint'

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it really matter all that much? If you want to take some additional courses, take them. Whether you get a minor on paper or not doesn't make that big of a difference: what matters is whether you learn what you want.

Last edited:
My undergraduate physics advisor actually told me that a minor is completely worthless (it came up in the context of whether I should take a course on waves, or take an astrophysics course for the astro minor). If that makes you feel any better...

What does "No minor after graduating" mean?

It means that a student cannot pursue a minor degree after they have graduated with their major degree.

Why is "No minor after graduating" a rule?

This rule is in place to ensure that students focus on completing their major degree requirements before pursuing additional coursework.

Can I still declare a minor before graduating?

Yes, you can declare a minor while you are still pursuing your major degree. However, you will need to complete all minor requirements before graduating with your major degree.

Are there any exceptions to the "No minor after graduating" rule?

In some cases, a student may be able to petition for an exception to this rule if they have a valid reason for not completing their minor requirements before graduating. However, this is at the discretion of the university and is not guaranteed.

What should I do if I want to add a minor after graduating?

If you decide that you want to pursue a minor after you have already graduated with your major degree, you will need to reapply to the university and complete all minor requirements before receiving your minor degree.