Theoretical Physics: Seeking Understanding from Afar

In summary, the speaker is a 2nd year physics undergraduate who is passionate about theoretical physics and seeking a better understanding of physical laws. However, they are limited by the lack of resources and a stimulating scientific atmosphere in their own country. They are concerned about not being able to interact with excellent physicists but are willing to work in any field as long as they can work with brilliant individuals.
Fizik
I am a 2nd year physics undergraduate. I realize that basically there are two types of sciences, one of them to develop technology with scientific knowledge while the other one to seek for fundamental understanding of the physical laws governing the universe.

I am passionate in doing the latter, which is to seek for a better understanding of the physical laws. My method for doing it will be developing theory or refining theory instead of doing experiments to verify or search for manifestation of physical laws. In short, I am passionate in theoretical physics.

I think to do a good theoretical physics one has to closely interact with excellent physicists around the world. However, for some reasons, I am not able to go abroad for physics study (graduate and post-doc) and can only stay in my own country in which stimulating scientific atmosphere is not here. Then, my question is, do you think this will be a big problem to me? Will it be sufficient if I interact with excellent physicists simply by means of conference and emails, instead of face-to-face interaction?

Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fizik said:
I realize that basically there are two types of sciences, one of them to develop technology with scientific knowledge while the other one to seek for fundamental understanding of the physical laws governing the universe.

This is not a good description of how science operates. It might be a fair description of the difference between engineering and physics.

Which country are you in, what area of theory are you interested in, and why do you feel there isn't a good atmosphere there?

hi Locarian,

I would like to keep where i am from a secret.. sorry ya..

The point is, due to limited resources that are allocated for scientific development in my country, most of the resources will be given to those science that can bring my country money as a reward. In other words, science for fundamental understanding of nature is not really encouraged here. So.. I feel quiet worried, as i know, to do goos science one can't isolate himself/herself from the other scientists. However, I realize that the only way I keep myself in contact with those excellent scientists will only be a short-period ones like conference... I really wish to immerse myself in a stimulating scientific community like that one in coperhagen last time!

By the way, work in any field is just OK for me because I realize that the greatest joy that I can have is to work with excellent people in playing with nature.

Last edited:
I asked what area of theory you were interested in because one does not just study "theory." You may be in condensed matter theory, or high energy physics theory, etc.

In any case, in theory you will typically work along side experimentalists. If there aren't any where you are, you may be out of luck. More importantly, if there isn't a good adviser, professors and others who can guide you, I don't know what you expect to do.

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that aims to understand the natural world through mathematical models and theoretical frameworks, rather than through experiments or observations. It involves developing and testing hypotheses and theories about the fundamental laws of nature, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. How is theoretical physics different from experimental physics?

Theoretical physics and experimental physics are two complementary approaches to understanding the natural world. While experimental physics relies on conducting experiments and making observations to gather data and test theories, theoretical physics uses mathematical models and theoretical frameworks to make predictions and understand the underlying principles of the universe.

3. What are some examples of theoretical physics?

Some examples of theoretical physics include the theory of relativity, quantum field theory, and string theory. These theories aim to explain fundamental phenomena such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the behavior of subatomic particles. Other examples include cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics.

4. How do theoretical physicists test their theories?

Theoretical physicists use a variety of methods to test their theories, including mathematical calculations, computer simulations, and collaborations with experimental physicists. They also look for consistency with existing experimental data and make predictions that can be tested through future experiments or observations.

5. What are the practical applications of theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics has led to many important practical applications, such as the development of technologies like GPS, MRI, and lasers. It also plays a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the universe and guiding scientific research in fields such as energy, materials science, and medicine.