Proving Triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) in Algebraic Topology

In summary, the notation "pi_1(S^n;e)" represents the group of equivalence classes of loops in S^n that start and end at the point e. It can be proven that for any path connected space X, \pi_1(X; x) = \pi_1(X) for all x \in X. However, for a space S^n with n > 1, \pi_1(S^n;e) may not be isomorphic to \pi_1(S^n). Additionally, for the space S^1, the fundamental group is isomorphic to the integers.
bham10246
Please read the following problem first:

Suppose n > 1 and let S^n be the n-sphere in R^{n+1}. Let e be the unit-coordinate vector (1,0,...,0) on S^n. Prove that the fundamental group pi_1(S^n;e) is the trivial group.

Okay, now my question is what does the notation "pi_1(S^n;e)" mean?

I understand the fundamental group but I don't understand the "semi-colon and then an element"-part.

Thank you! :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As pi_1(S^n) is the group of equivalence classes of loops in S^n, pi_1(S^n;e) is the group of equivalence classes of loops in S^n that start and end at the point e.

Thank you so much jimmysnyder for clearing that up for me. I looked through Allen Hatcher's book but it wasn't helpful.

So for our example above, is pi_1(S^n) isomorphic to pi_1(S^n;e)? Do you think I need to show that they are isomorphic or can I assume this as "obvious"?

bham10246 said:
I looked through Allen Hatcher's book but it wasn't helpful.
It's in his book entitled "Algebraic Topology". It's hidden on page 26, just above Proposition 1.3 with no indication that it is a definition.

bham10246 said:
So for our example above, is pi_1(S^n) isomorphic to pi_1(S^n;e)? Do you think I need to show that they are isomorphic or can I assume this as "obvious"?
I don't know. But if a space X is path connected, then there is no difference between [itex]\pi_1(X)[/itex] and [itex]\pi_1(X; x)[/itex] for all [itex]x \in X[/itex].

Last edited:
Hi jimmysnyder, I think what was confusing (at first) is that the notation on these practice problems used a semi-colon, instead of a comma. Semi-colon can mean Homology with Coefficients, which I didn't know.

Yes, I agree that there is no difference between [itex]\pi_1(X; x)[/itex] and [itex]\pi_1(X; e)[/itex] but I think I need to prove that these two groups are really isomorphic by using basepoint change homomorphism (Propositon 1.5 page 28 of Hatcher), don't you think so? And after doing that, re-prove that [itex]\pi_1(X; x)=0[/itex] (Prop 1.14 page 35)?

This is a lot of work but I'm not sure what we're allowed to assume.

Also, there's another problem that I came across:

Let [itex]I = [0,1][/itex]. Let [itex]X[/itex] be a space, and let [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] be two points of [itex]X[/itex]. Give an example of a connected space [itex]X[/itex] and points [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] such that [itex]\pi_1(X;p)[/itex] is not isomorphic to [itex]\pi_1(X;q)[/itex].

So [itex]\pi_1(X)[/itex] does depend on the basepoint!

Last edited:
bham10246 said:
So [itex]\pi_1(X)[/itex] does depend on the basepoint!
I don't have time right now to look at it. There is a difference between connected and path connected. This is the red herring rule in mathematics. A red herring is neither red, nor is it a herring.

Last edited:
It is easy to see that for any space X, [itex]\pi_1(X; x) \subset \pi_1(X)[/itex] since every loop that begins and ends at x is a loop. Since by Proposition 1.14 (page 35), [itex]\pi_1(S^n) = 0[/itex] for [itex]n\ge2[/itex], most of the work is done. Note that [itex]S^0[/itex] is not path connected, and [itex]\pi_1(S^0;1) \ne \pi_1(S^0)[/itex]. That is why in the statement of the problem, n > 1.

I don't have a formal proof that [itex]\pi_1(X;x) = \pi_1(X) \ \forall x \in X[/itex] when X is path connected. But informally, given a loop in X, there is a loop that starts at x, goes to the start point of the loop, loops back to the start point and then goes back to x (because X is path connected). so [itex]\pi_1(X) \subset \pi_1(X; x)[/itex].

It seems you have no more to do than to prove that [itex]S^1[/itex] is path connected to show that [itex]\pi_1(S^1;1) = \pi_1(S^1) = Z[/itex]. So that group is not trivial.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help!

1. What is the significance of proving the triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) in Algebraic Topology?

Proving the triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) in Algebraic Topology is important because it provides a way to understand the fundamental structure of a topological space. This group represents the different ways in which a loop can wind around a point in the space. If this group is trivial, it means that every loop can be continuously deformed to a constant loop, indicating that the space is simply connected.

2. How is the triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) proven in Algebraic Topology?

The triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) is proven using techniques from Algebraic Topology, such as the Van Kampen theorem and the Seifert-van Kampen theorem. These theorems allow for the computation of the fundamental group of a space by decomposing it into simpler spaces and then recombining the results. In the case of S^n, these theorems are used to show that the fundamental group is trivial.

3. Can the triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) be proven for any value of n?

Yes, the triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) can be proven for any value of n. However, the techniques used may vary depending on the value of n. For example, for n=1, the triviality of pi_1(S^1;e) can be proven using the fact that the fundamental group of a circle is isomorphic to the group of integers under addition.

4. What implications does the triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) have on the topology of a space?

The triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) has important implications on the topology of a space. It implies that the space is simply connected, meaning that it has no holes or tunnels. This has consequences on the homotopy type of the space and can also help determine other topological invariants, such as the Euler characteristic.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proving the triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) in Algebraic Topology?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of proving the triviality of pi_1(S^n;e) in Algebraic Topology. This result is used in fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering to study the shape and properties of various spaces. It also has applications in geometry, where it is used to classify and study different types of surfaces. Additionally, the techniques used in proving this result have led to the development of other important theorems and concepts in mathematics.