Solving Acceleration Problem: Find m/s^2 & Seconds

In summary, a plane traveling at 10km/hr lands on an aircraft carrier and stops in 25.0m. Using the conversion rate of 1km/hr = 0.278 m/s, the final velocity of the plane is 27.8 m/s. To find the acceleration, we can use the kinematic equation v^2 = v0^2 + 2a(x-x0), which gives us an acceleration of -77.5 m/s^2. To find the time it took to stop, we can use the equation t = (v-v0)/a, which gives us a time of approximately 0.36 seconds.
bwilhelm
1. A plane traveling at 10km/hr lands on an aircraft carrier and stops in 25.0m
A. Find the acceleration in m/s^2
B. Find the time it took to stop in seconds

Homework Equations

1km/hr = .278 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

100(.278)= 27.8 m/s
A. 25-27.8 = 2.8 m/s
B. 8.92 seconds (25/2.8)

Is this anywhere near correct? something seems wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
bwilhelm said:
1. A plane traveling at 10km/hr lands on an aircraft carrier and stops in 25.0m
A. Find the acceleration in m/s^2
B. Find the time it took to stop in seconds

Homework Equations

1km/hr = .278 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

100(.278)= 27.8 m/s
A. 25-27.8 = 2.8 m/s
B. 8.92 seconds (25/2.8)

Is this anywhere near correct? something seems wrong.

When you converted to m/s you used 100km/h instead of 10km/h.

I don't understand how you did part A and B... seems like you're mixing up distance, speed and acceleration.

Remember the plane is undergoing a constant deceleration (or a negative acceleration) and coming to a stop over 25m.

Part A and B involve direct use of kinematics equations... you should have studied these... Can you think of a kinematics equation you can apply in part A? You're trying to find acceleration... you know the distance, the initial velocity, and the final velocity. There's an equation you can use.

Not near correct. 27.8 m/s is ok, though. Consider using kinematic equations like x(t)=x0+v0*t+(1/2)*a*t^2 and v(t)=v0+a*t. Can you start the problem?

What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object’s velocity changes. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

What unit is used to measure acceleration?

The unit used to measure acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How do I find the acceleration of an object if I know its initial and final velocity?

The acceleration can be calculated by using the formula: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. Make sure to use the same units for velocity and time.

How do I find the time it takes for an object to reach a certain acceleration?

The time can be calculated by using the formula: time = (final velocity - initial velocity) / acceleration. Again, make sure to use the same units for velocity and acceleration.

What if I don't know the initial or final velocity?

If you do not know the initial or final velocity, you can still find the acceleration by using the formula: acceleration = (change in velocity) / time. This is useful for situations where an object's velocity is changing at a constant rate.