Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
The vinegar is there to provide enough acidity to allow safe canning with relatively short processing times. If you are going to make little batches and refrigerate them, you could substitute other liquids that are not so acidic. Apple cider might be good, as well as other fruit juices or wine. If I were going to try a wine, I'd experiment with a full-bodied red wine with some astringency - perhaps an inexpensive cabernet sauvignon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hot stuff update. I just had a hot dog on a roll (both pan-fried in butter) and instead of using my habanero relish and yellow mustard, I dressed it with dill-pickled jalapeno rounds and yellow mustard. Ding, ding, ding! What a nice taste! Essentially, I used our standard kosher dill pickle recipe, but instead of pickling cucumbers, I pickled sliced jalapeno rounds (with all seeds, placenta, etc intact) with a couple of cloves of Russian garlic in each jar. This is killer stuff. The problem is that the sliced jalapeno rounds take up a lot of space in the jar when raw, and they shrink a lot when softened during processing, so each 1/2 pint jar contains enough peppers for just a few sandwiches or hot dogs. Well worth the effort, though! I'm going to have to refine this next year, and maybe chop the chilies and pack them tightly to reduce the volume reduction during processing.

I save the balsamic vinegar from pickles, it adds a different taste to dishes that need
vinegar.

This is the plant that produced a few pounds of habaneros last year.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6963/habaneros1005444rz4.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll have to experiment a little when my current jar runs out, and see what I can come up with. Hopefully next year I get a really good crop. My whole balcony is going to be covered in plants.

That's one productive plant Astronuc! I had a whole row of habanero plants this year. If they had all produced like that, I'd have enough relish made up for 3-4 years.

turbo-1 said:
That's one productive plant Astronuc! I had a whole row of habanero plants this year. If they had all produced like that, I'd have enough relish made up for 3-4 years.
That was a great plant. I wish I knew how I did that. It was one of 4 and the only one to take off like that! This year, I had 4 plants, but some critter (probably deer) ate the tops and they never recovered. :grumpy:

I once had 4 tomato plants that produced shopping bags of large tomatoes. We had so many tomatos, we had to give away bag fulls. They produced well into November, and IIRC into December!

Here you go! Just scale it down so you can make small batches and experiment. If you decide to add cilantro, tear the leaves and stir them into the salsa just after you're done cooking it. Keep your recipes simple, but don't be afraid to tinker with them.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1420890&postcount=18

This recipe works well for green tomatoes and red ones, or a mix of the two.

I got some Dave's Insanity for valentines day. I don't know if any of you have had that stuff, but I swear the scoville count on that is more than my habaneros.

So I tried some on my finger and it was really fun :biggrin:.

Math Jeans said:
I got some Dave's Insanity for valentines day. I don't know if any of you have had that stuff, but I swear the scoville count on that is more than my habaneros.

So I tried some on my finger and it was really fun :biggrin:.
I have a collection of Dave's sauces and one jar of relish. It's OK. I believe Dave's is based on habaneros. The thing to remember is that the hot sauces are a solution of the capsaicin, so it reacts readily with the tissue it contacts. If one chews on a habanero pepper, there is a delayed reaction because the capsaicin has to be released from the plant cells. If one takes the ribs of the habanero pepper and purees them, and then places that on the tongue, one gets an immediate reaction.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/capsaicin.asp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. I think that its more than habaneros because it doesn't say that it is habaneros in the ingrediants. It just states, hot peppers, (something else about peppers that I can't remember), and pepper extract, then a few other things.

So is taking the ribs from the pepper and pureeing them how you make extract? Because I would enjoy using that much more than chili powder.

I've been using turbo's relishes to improve Bread & Butter pickles. I take a jar of B&B pickles and then place a few tablespoons worth of turbo's relish in the jar. The hot pickles are great.

Yesterday, I mixed turbo's relish with some pickle relish to make some hot relish. Also very good!

Astronuc said:
I've been using turbo's relishes to improve Bread & Butter pickles. I take a jar of B&B pickles and then place a few tablespoons worth of turbo's relish in the jar. The hot pickles are great.

Yesterday, I mixed turbo's relish with some pickle relish to make some hot relish. Also very good!
I have made bread and butter pickles and dill pickles with chilies in them, and last summer, I pickled a big batch of jalapeno rings and garlic using my standard dill pickle recipe (but with no cucumbers). Man! are they good! I think I'll use those on my sandwich tonight - we're making grilled tuna-melt sandwiches with home-made tomato soup for supper.

Yep! The dill-pickled jalapeno rings were fantastic on the grilled tuna-melt sandwich. For anyone who hasn't made these, butter two slices of rye bread and place them butter-side down on a hot skillet. Add sliced cheese to one piece of bread and top with mustard. When the bread has browned and the cheese has melted, spread tuna salad on that slice, top with hot peppers (or pickles if you don't like hot stuff that much) and put the other slice of bread on top. With some home-made tomato soup, that sandwich is heaven.

During supper, my wife suggested that the dill-pickled jalapeno rings might go real well with sour cream on potatoes. We'll try that sometime soon.

turbo-1 said:
Yep! The dill-pickled jalapeno rings were fantastic on the grilled tuna-melt sandwich. For anyone who hasn't made these, butter two slices of rye bread and place them butter-side down on a hot skillet. Add sliced cheese to one piece of bread and top with mustard. When the bread has browned and the cheese has melted, spread tuna salad on that slice, top with hot peppers (or pickles if you don't like hot stuff that much) and put the other slice of bread on top. With some home-made tomato soup, that sandwich is heaven.

During supper, my wife suggested that the dill-pickled jalapeno rings might go real well with sour cream on potatoes. We'll try that sometime soon.
:tongue2: :approve: I also remember some great jalapeño poppers.

I had some left over spaghetti sauce, and several bottles of hot sauce that were just about empty, so I combined them all in the jar to make a really nice spicy tomato sauce.

Astronuc said:
:tongue2: :approve: I also remember some great jalapeño poppers.

I had some left over spaghetti sauce, and several bottles of hot sauce that were just about empty, so I combined them all in the jar to make a really nice spicy tomato sauce.
Mmmm! Grilled jalapeno poppers. We'll have to make a big batch next time you're up. A recipe update for those who don't want to wander all over the thread:

- Slice fresh jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise.

- If you want 'em hot don't clean out the placenta and seeds. If you're going to be feeding some people who can't take the heat, remove the placenta and seeds and the poppers will be relatively mild.

- Crumble lots of crispy fried bacon and mix the crumbles bits into a bowl of cream cheese (you can experiment with spices and herbs, too)

- Fill the halved chilies with the cream cheese/bacon mix and top them with shredded Monterey Jack cheese.

- Put a sheet of aluminum foil on a very hot pre-heated grill, put the stuffed peppers on the foil and cook them to your preferred done-ness. I like to have at least some of the Monterey Jack browned for the flavor.These poppers are sooo easy to make and they are addictive. Only the fat and calories keep us from making them more frequently.

Last edited:
All the spicy food caught up to me. I have a stomach ulcer :frown:.

Math Jeans said:
That's terrible! You know the old saying "too much of a good thing". You need to go easy on that hot stuff, it can really aggravate your stomach if you are susceptible to getting an ulcer.

I bought some spear chilies they are about 6 inches long and yes spear shaped, any ideas as to how to use them?

Sorry to hear about you ulcer MJ, may be you can drink some milk after eating chili.

Math Jeans said:

Once more for the record, peptic ulcers are believed to be caused by helicobacter, nowadays. Do not buy stress stories. Insist on a proper blood check. It's cureable with antibiotics and I'm most happy with that.l

Darn, MJ! Has your doctor prescribed a course of treatment? While spicy/acidic foods can inflame an ulcer and cause pain, these are symptoms and are generally not the cause of ulcers.

Ulcers are usually caused by a bacterial infection (Helicobacter pylori). There are relatively simple non-invasive tests for this infection, and treatment is pretty straightforward, as well. If your doctor has not performed diagnostic tests and prescribed a course of treatment, ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist. If you indeed have an ulcer, it needs to be diagnosed and treated properly. Good luck.

Edit: Oops! Andre jumped in while I was writing my overly-long answer, and he is absolutely right.

Last edited:
wolram said:
I bought some spear chilies they are about 6 inches long and yes spear shaped, any ideas as to how to use them?
How hot are they, Woolie? If they are about as hot as a jalapeno, you use them in a lot of stuff. I like chopping jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, and onions, and sauteing them in butter with some garlic, then folding them into an omelet. Serve with salsa on the side.

They are also really good in shepherd's pie. Saute chopped chilies with onions and crushed garlic. Brown some hamburg with these vegetables, and season (salt, pepper, other spices to taste) and fill the bottom of a baking pan with the mix. Make up a spicy tomato sauce and pour that over the mix, then cover that with a layer of whole-kernal corn and a thin layer of very sharp cheese. Top all that with a layer of mashed potatoes, and bake until the potatoes have browned on top and the sauce is bubbling.

Yea. I've been licking baking soda.

I don't think it was only the spicy foods that caused it, I have been really stressed about school lately, which I think was a large component.

Math Jeans said:
Yea. I've been licking baking soda.

I don't think it was only the spicy foods that caused it, I have been really stressed about school lately, which I think was a large component.
Have you been to the doctor? A stomach ulcer and heartburn are not the same thing.

Evo said:
Have you been to the doctor? A stomach ulcer and heartburn are not the same thing.

My parents ARE doctors.

Math Jeans said:
My parents ARE doctors.
:biggrin: Did you get a test done?

They told me to lick baking soda and take a warm bath.

We didn't have any antacid (ignore spelling) tablets, so that was the best we could do. I'm feeling a little better now.

Do you think that I would get arrested if I took out some baking soda and licked it during my class at ASU today?

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
How hot are they, Woolie? If they are about as hot as a jalapeno, you use them in a lot of stuff. I like chopping jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, and onions, and sauteing them in butter with some garlic, then folding them into an omelet. Serve with salsa on the side.

They are also really good in shepherd's pie. Saute chopped chilies with onions and crushed garlic. Brown some hamburg with these vegetables, and season (salt, pepper, other spices to taste) and fill the bottom of a baking pan with the mix. Make up a spicy tomato sauce and pour that over the mix, then cover that with a layer of whole-kernal corn and a thin layer of very sharp cheese. Top all that with a layer of mashed potatoes, and bake until the potatoes have browned on top and the sauce is bubbling.

They are more like a pepper in taste, i went out and bought every type of chili in the store, i founds some half inch long red ones that are the hottest i have tried way hotter than scotch bonnets, i ground two up with an inch of ginger and a clove of garlic to put in my quick mince chili for one and that was good and hot.
Now i am experimenting mixing various chilies with ginger and garlic to get the ultimate
rounded hotness.
Yum, i like the sound of your shepherds pie.

Math Jeans said:
Do you think that I would get arrested if I took out some baking soda and licked it during my class at ASU today?
They arrested a kid for sniffing his hands after putting antibacterial hand gel on them.

wolram said:
Yum, i like the sound of your shepherds pie.
If you have never made shepherd's pie, you've got to try it. It's a great meal in cold dreary weather, and the left-overs make quick and tasty microwave meals.

turbo-1 said:
If you have never made shepherd's pie, you've got to try it. It's a great meal in cold dreary weather, and the left-overs make quick and tasty microwave meals.
I had never heard of shepherd's pie until I married my second husband. From his description of his mother's recipe, I came up with something that seemed passable. The girls and I love it. You brown ground beef in a skillet, mix in a can of corn (drained), add some water and some beef bouillion to taste, thicken it with cornstarch to make a light gravy consistency and simmer about 10 minutes so the corn absorbs the flavor, top with a layer of cheese, then a layer of mashed potatoes.

Math Jeans said:
My parents ARE doctors.

So, did they actually check you out, or are you just assuming you've gotten an ulcer and it's not just indigestion? Acid reflux can also be worsened by spicy foods if you're prone to that as well.

Only for the brave chili.

6 jalapeno
2 scotch bonnet
2 birds eye
2 finger
1 1.5 inch cube ginger
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp oregano
2 Tsp brown sugar
1 medium sized red onion
1 small tin red kidney beans
1 large tin chopped tomatoes in chili
1 lb lean ground beef.
1 beef stock cube

Chop up chili's, mince ginger and garlic, chop onion, soften for about 5 mins in a little oil.
Dry roast the kidney beans until skins start to split.
Brown the ground beef well.
Put all cooked ingredients in a large pan and add tomatoes, stock cube, brown sugar and oregano, cook on lowest heat for at least 2 hours, add salt to taste.

This chili gets better the longer it left, and i would not recommend tasting before 1.5 hrs cooking or it will blow your brains out.

<h2>1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?</h2><p>The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.</p><h2>2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.</p><h2>3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.</p><h2>4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.</p><h2>5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.</p>

1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?

The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.

2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.

3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.

4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.

5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.