Estimating Lift from a NACA 0012 Airfoil

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of numerically integrating the pressure distribution of a NACA 0012 airfoil with 30 surface pressure taps to estimate lift. The homework equations for normal and axial forces are presented, along with suggestions for improving accuracy and consistency in the results.
jstrz13phys

Homework Statement

I have recorded raw pressures for from a wind tunnel for a NACA 0012 airfoil with 30 surface pressure taps.

I have computed Reynolds Number for 3 angles of attack.

I have computed the Pressure Coeff. for each pressure and graphed them verses the non-dimensionalized tap locations.
This is where I am stuck:
Numerically integrate the pressure distribution ( trapezoidal rule) to estimate lift.

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{N}=\int_{x=0}^{c}(p_{u}-p_{l})dx[/tex]

[tex] F_{A} = \int_{x=0}^{c}(p_{u})(\frac{dy}{dx})_{u}+(p_{l})(\frac{dy}{dx})_{l}dx[/tex]

[tex] L = F_{N}cos(\alpha)-F_{A}sin(\alpha)[/tex]

F_{A} is axial force and F_{N} is normal force
Pu is upper surface pressure, Pl is lower surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried using the trapezoidal rule to numerically integrate the pressure distribution, but I am not getting consistent results. Any suggestions or tips on how to approach this problem? Thank you!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your progress so far. It seems like you are on the right track with using the trapezoidal rule to numerically integrate the pressure distribution. However, there are a few things you may want to consider to get more accurate and consistent results.

First, make sure your pressure data is reliable and accurate. Any errors in the pressure measurements can greatly affect your results. It may be helpful to double check your data and possibly even repeat the measurements to ensure accuracy.

Secondly, consider using a more advanced numerical integration method, such as Simpson's rule, to get more precise results. This method takes into account the curvature of the pressure distribution and can provide more accurate results compared to the trapezoidal rule.

Lastly, make sure your integration limits are correct. In your equation for normal force, the limits should be from 0 to c, where c is the chord length of the airfoil. Also, in your equation for axial force, the limits should be from 0 to c as well, and the values for Pu and Pl should be multiplied by the corresponding derivative of the airfoil shape at the upper and lower surface, respectively.

I hope these suggestions help you in solving this problem. Good luck!

1. How do you calculate the lift coefficient of a NACA 0012 airfoil?

To calculate the lift coefficient of a NACA 0012 airfoil, you can use the following formula: CL = (2πα)/[1+(2π/AR)]. CL represents the lift coefficient, α represents the angle of attack, and AR represents the aspect ratio of the airfoil. This formula is based on the thin airfoil theory and is valid for subsonic flow conditions.

2. What is the difference between lift and lift coefficient?

Lift is the aerodynamic force that acts on an object moving through a fluid, while lift coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the lift force to the dynamic pressure and the area of the airfoil. In other words, the lift coefficient takes into account the shape and size of the airfoil, as well as the fluid properties.

3. How does the angle of attack affect lift on a NACA 0012 airfoil?

The angle of attack is the angle between the airfoil and the direction of the incoming flow. As the angle of attack increases, the lift on a NACA 0012 airfoil also increases, until a certain point where the airfoil reaches its maximum lift coefficient. After this point, the lift decreases due to flow separation.

4. Can you estimate lift from a NACA 0012 airfoil at different airspeeds?

Yes, the lift coefficient of a NACA 0012 airfoil can be estimated at different airspeeds by using the same formula mentioned in the first question. However, it is important to note that the lift coefficient is dependent on the Reynolds number, which is affected by the airspeed. Therefore, the lift coefficient may vary at different airspeeds.

5. What is the significance of the NACA 0012 airfoil in aerodynamics?

The NACA 0012 airfoil is a symmetrical airfoil that has been widely used in aerodynamics research and design. It is commonly used as a benchmark airfoil to compare the performance of other airfoils. The NACA 0012 airfoil also has a low drag coefficient, making it an efficient choice for various applications such as aircraft wings, propeller blades, and wind turbines.