Better than counting on fingers

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation discusses a system of using line segments oriented vertically, horizontally, and diagonally to represent the numerals 0 through 9 in a more elemental, distinct, and discernible way. This system has potential as a more intuitive numeration, but currently lacks practicality due to similarities with existing operator symbols and the need for overlapping LED's. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using this system in science fiction illustrations.
Loren Booda
Consider line segments oriented vertically, horizontally, and either diagonally. The individual segments may be seen as stretching between an imaginary 12 and 6 o'clock; or 1:30 and 7:30; or 3 and 9; or 4:30 and 10:30. Thus give them singly or doubly a common center.

By using them so - individually or dually - they can symbolize exactly 10 characters with distinction, clarity, simplicity and universality. In other words, taking one or two elements (here specific line segments) at a time from 4 elements total yields 10 possible combinations, and a fundamental representation in base ten.

Do you see any application of such archetypal numeration?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
erm, a metric clock? sry i don't understand this

Loren Booda said:
I do not forsee any advantage from using these symbols instead of the traditional decimal digits.

(Nor do I See why you would call it archetypal)

phlegmy, I offer how one can symbolize Arabic numerals more elementally, distinctly and discernibly. Four overall diagonal, horizontal, and vertical line segments taken one or two at a time give ten unique representations for the numerals 0 through 9.

Thank you for your feedback, Hurkyl. I call it archetypal because it has the potential to serve as the basis for a more readily perceptible and intuitive numeration. The commonality of Arabic numerals relegates my system to the category of Esperanto for the moment. However, current decimal displays require seven binary pixels, compared to four for my convention.

Loren Booda said:
phlegmy, I offer how one can symbolize Arabic numerals more elementally, distinctly and discernibly.
I don't see how it satisfies any of those criteria.

I'm not sure what "elementally" is, nor what difference you intend between "distinctly" and "discernibly". Your symbols are going to be less discernible because they are too similar. | and \ look different enough under carefully controlled conditions, but will be too easily confused in general. For example, when handwritten, or in italics. Furthermore, your numerals will conflict with the existing operator symbols for addition, subtraction, negation, multiplication, absolute value, and even one flavor of division.

However, current decimal displays require seven binary pixels, compared to four for my convention.
I highly doubt the feasibility of having overlapping LED's; you are going to have to break each line into two parts, and will therefore need 8 LED's.

Last edited:
That is what I needed to know.

Loren Booda said:

Science fiction illustration.

What is "Better than counting on fingers"?

"Better than counting on fingers" is a method or technique used for counting or solving mathematical problems without using one's fingers. It involves using more efficient and advanced mental strategies to solve problems accurately and quickly.

Why is it important to learn "Better than counting on fingers"?

Learning "Better than counting on fingers" can improve one's mathematical skills, as it allows for more efficient and accurate problem-solving. It also helps to build a strong foundation for more complex mathematical concepts in the future.

Who can benefit from learning "Better than counting on fingers"?

Anyone can benefit from learning "Better than counting on fingers", regardless of age or mathematical ability. It can be especially helpful for young children who are just learning basic math concepts and for adults who want to improve their mental math skills.

What are some techniques used in "Better than counting on fingers"?

Some techniques used in "Better than counting on fingers" include using number bonds, breaking numbers down into smaller parts, and using visual representations such as number lines or manipulatives. These techniques help to develop a deeper understanding of numbers and their relationships.

Can "Better than counting on fingers" be used for more advanced math problems?

Yes, "Better than counting on fingers" can be used for more advanced math problems. The techniques used can be applied to solve a wide range of mathematical problems, from basic addition and subtraction to more complex multiplication and division problems.