Given the initial state, Ican find the time evolution wave function right?

In summary, the problem asks for the state at t>0 for a particle initially in the eigenstate S_x with eigenvalues -\hbar/2. The particle is in a magnetic field with a Hamiltonian of H=\frac{eB}{mc}S_z. Using the eigenstate of S_x, the state at t>0 is found to be |-(t)>_x=\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{2}}(e^\frac{-iE_+t}{\hbar}|+>-e^\frac{-iE_-t}{\hbar}|->), where E_t=\frac{eB}{mc} and E_-=-\frac{eB}{mc}.
cks

Homework Statement

At t=0, the particle is in the eigenstate [tex] S_x [/tex], which corresponds to the eigenvalues [tex] -\hbar \over 2 [/tex]The particle is in a magnetic field and its Hamiltonian is [tex] H=\frac{eB}{mc}S_z [/tex]. Find the state at t>0.

Homework Equations

Eigenstate of the Sx is

[tex] |->_x=\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{2}}(|+>-|->) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I am given with the initial state, then

[tex] |-(t)>_x=\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{2}}(e^\frac{-iE_+t}{\hbar}|+>-e^\frac{-iE_-t}{\hbar}|->) [/tex]

where [tex] E_t=\frac{eB}{mc} [/tex]

and [tex] E_-=-\frac{eB}{mc} [/tex]

Why am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
cks said:

Homework Statement

At t=0, the particle is in the eigenstate [tex] S_x [/tex], which corresponds to the eigenvalues [tex] -\hbar \over 2 [/tex]The particle is in a magnetic field and its Hamiltonian is [tex] H=\frac{eB}{mc}S_z [/tex]. Find the state at t>0.

Homework Equations

Eigenstate of the Sx is

[tex] |->_x=\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{2}}(|+>-|->) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I am given with the initial state, then

[tex] |-(t)>_x=\frac{1}{2^\frac{1}{2}}(e^\frac{-iE_+t}{\hbar}|+>-e^\frac{-iE_-t}{\hbar}|->) [/tex]

where [tex] E_t=\frac{eB}{mc} [/tex]

and [tex] E_-=-\frac{eB}{mc} [/tex]

Why am I wrong?

Looks right to me except for a factor of hbar/2 missing in your energies.

yaya, aisheah, thank you very much. why I always miss something!

1. What is a time evolution wave function?

A time evolution wave function is a mathematical representation of a physical system that describes how the system changes over time. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of a measurement.

2. What factors determine the time evolution of a wave function?

The time evolution of a wave function is determined by the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system, and the initial conditions of the system. Other factors such as external forces and interactions with other particles may also play a role.

3. How is the time evolution wave function calculated?

The time evolution wave function is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It is a differential equation that relates the time derivative of the wave function to the Hamiltonian operator.

4. Can the time evolution wave function be observed directly?

No, the time evolution wave function cannot be observed directly. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of physical systems at the quantum level. However, the probabilities calculated from the wave function can be tested and observed through experiments.

5. How does the time evolution wave function relate to the uncertainty principle?

The time evolution wave function is related to the uncertainty principle in that it represents the probability of finding a particle in a certain state. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously, and the time evolution wave function reflects this uncertainty in its probabilistic nature.