Hardest level SAT math problem

In summary, a small company has some movie tickets to distribute to its employees. If each employee receives 5 tickets, there will be 15 left over. If 5 employees decide not to take any tickets, the remaining employees will each receive 7 tickets. The equations 5x+15=5x-25 and y=5x+15 and y=7(x-5) can be used to find the number of employees and tickets, and ultimately, the company has a total of 40 tickets.
shotgunbob

Homework Statement

A small company has some free movie tickets to distribute to its employees. If each employee gets 5 tickets, there will be 15 left over. If 5 employees will receive 7 tickets, and none will be left over. How many tickets does the company have?

Homework Equations

Algebra/logic and reasoning

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 5x+15=5x-25

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formulation of the problem confuse me ...

2 unknowns 2 equations

x=number of employees
b= total number of tickets

x*5=b-15

But the next line i do not understand ...
If 5 employees will receive 7 tickets, and none will be left over.

whoops! Sorry! it should be:

If 5 employees decide not to take any tickets, all the other employees will receive 7 tickets, and none will be left over.

shotgunbob said:
whoops! Sorry! it should be:

If 5 employees decide not to take any tickets, all the other employees will receive 7 tickets, and none will be left over.

Based on that i get the second equation as ...

(x-5)*7=b

stopchair said:
This is actually VERY easy.
Pellefant almost got there, he just didn't answer the question.x
Yes, and he didn't because this is a homework and coursework question and he knew he shouldn't!

stopchair, it sounds like you're not familiar with the rules at our forum:

"On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made."

(from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374 )

shotgunbob said:

Homework Statement

A small company has some free movie tickets to distribute to its employees. If each employee gets 5 tickets, there will be 15 left over. If 5 employees will receive 7 tickets, and none will be left over. How many tickets does the company have?

Homework Equations

Algebra/logic and reasoning

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 5x+15=5x-25

let employees = e
let number of tickets = t

you might have something like

1. t - 5e = 15
2. t - 7(e-5) = 0

The question asks how many tickets they have, you need to somehow eliminate the unknown.

Work it out then

Well its really not that hard,

I would set the two equations for the total number of tickets(y) based on the total number of employees (x)

y= 5x+15
y=7(x-5)

Based on that, you can find number of employees and then proceed to ur solution (the number of tickets). gl with SAT. xD.

1. What is the hardest level SAT math problem?

The hardest level SAT math problem is subjective and can vary for each individual. However, it is generally considered to be one of the questions in the no-calculator section, as these questions require more complex problem-solving skills and can be more time-consuming.

2. How can I prepare for the hardest level SAT math problems?

The best way to prepare for the hardest level SAT math problems is to practice with challenging math problems and familiarize yourself with the types of questions that may appear on the test. You can also review mathematical concepts and strategies for problem-solving.

3. Can I use a calculator for the hardest level SAT math problems?

No, the hardest level SAT math problems are in the no-calculator section, so you will not be allowed to use a calculator. This is to test your ability to solve complex problems without the aid of a calculator.

4. Are the hardest level SAT math problems worth more points?

No, all SAT math questions are worth the same amount of points, regardless of difficulty level. Therefore, it is important to answer each question to the best of your ability, even if it seems difficult.

5. Can I skip the hardest level SAT math problems?

Yes, you can skip any question on the SAT, including the hardest level math problems. However, it is important to keep in mind that there is no penalty for guessing on the SAT, so it may be beneficial to make an educated guess rather than leaving a question blank.