Mass Vibrator using a Neodymium cylinder

In summary, Jack is working on a project to create an epoxy-based granite material using a high sphere packing density and a vacuum. He needs to make a shaker/vibrator using a motor, but the motor overheats. He has a 1 inch diameter, 2 inch long Neodymium magnet and lots of magnet wire and a coil winder. He is considering using the magnet to vibrate and creating a coil around it to dissipate heat. He is wondering if it is possible to create a simple voice coil using a cylindrical magnet and how to calculate the coil parameters. He is also considering using an Axially magnetized magnet or other ideas to solve the problem. Ultimately, it is suggested that he go back to the motor with
jhudler
This is an electrical question but bear with me for some background.

I have a project creating an epoxy based granite material.
The sphere packing density is quite high with aggregate sizes from 2 to 600 microns.
So that means I'm left with a very thick mix.
Plus the added complication of doing this in a vacuum.

Requirements:

I need to make a shaker/vibrator (freq from 20 to 200 Hz).
Using a motor to vibrate has been tried and it overheats... go figure :)!

Materials:
1 inch diam x 2 inch long Neodymium magnet.
Lots of magnet wire and even a coil winder.

Supposition:
It seems to me that I could mount magnet to base to vibrate, then create a coil around the magnet (with suitable separation) and drive that? I can dissipate the heat with a simple water jacket created from aluminum tubing and encapsulate that with an epoxy mixture designed to conduct heat which would be mounted to the rack in the chamber.

Question:
Is it possible to create a simple voice coil using a cylindrical magnet?
If so given almost 13000 Gauss, how do I calculate the coil parameters (windings,gauge,amps,voltage).

Or do I need to resort to using Axially magnetized magnet like a speaker?

Or perhaps there are other idea out there to help me solve this problem.

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are trying to reinvent the simple solenoid. It would likely heat up even faster than your motor.

Your best bet is to go back to the motor with eccentric weight approach. The motor you tried before was probably undersized.

To calculate the motor power, you need the mass being shaken, the frequency, and the magnitude of the oscillations.

1. What is a Neodymium cylinder and how is it used in a Mass Vibrator?

A Neodymium cylinder is a small, powerful magnet made from the rare earth element Neodymium. It is used in a Mass Vibrator to create vibrations by rapidly flipping its polarity back and forth, causing the surrounding materials to vibrate as well.

2. How does a Mass Vibrator using a Neodymium cylinder work?

The Neodymium cylinder is placed inside a coil of wire, which is connected to a power source. When electricity flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the Neodymium cylinder. The cylinder then rapidly flips its polarity, creating vibrations that are transferred to the surrounding materials.

3. What are the benefits of using a Mass Vibrator with a Neodymium cylinder?

The use of a Neodymium cylinder in a Mass Vibrator allows for powerful and precise vibrations to be produced. It also allows for a compact and lightweight design, making it ideal for portable or handheld devices. Additionally, Neodymium magnets have a high resistance to demagnetization, ensuring long-term durability.

4. Can a Mass Vibrator using a Neodymium cylinder be used for different purposes?

Yes, a Mass Vibrator with a Neodymium cylinder can be used for a variety of purposes. It is commonly used in industrial applications for screening and the flow of materials, but can also be used in medical devices, electronic devices, and even for personal relaxation.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a Mass Vibrator with a Neodymium cylinder?

Yes, it is important to handle Neodymium magnets with caution as they are very strong and can cause injuries if mishandled. It is also important to keep the Mass Vibrator away from electronic devices, credit cards, and pacemakers as the strong magnetic field can interfere with their function. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe and proper use of the Mass Vibrator.