Finding a Proof of Borel Lemma: Real Numbers & PDE

In summary, there is a theorem known as the "Borel lemma" which states that for any sequence of real numbers (A_n), there exists a function F that is indefinitely differentiable and has a derivative G(0) = A_n. This theorem can be found on Wikipedia under the same name, but the information there only mentions that it is useful in PDE. However, Borel's Lemma is more general than Taylor's series and applies to sequences of smooth, complex valued functions. Unfortunately, the version in the book is simplified to real numbers and simple derivatives, and the proof is not fully explained. The person asking is looking for a source that provides the proof in more detail.
Castilla
There is a theorem (the "Borel lemma") that says: Let (A_n) by any sequence of real numbers. We can built a function "F", indefinitely differentiable, such that if G is the n-derivative of f, G(0) = a_n.

Does someone knows a proof or where can I find it? The theorem appears in wikipedia, under the name "Borel Lemma", but all the wiki information is that this theorem is sometimes useful in PDE...

Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance I thought you were talking about Taylor's series. But Borel's Lemma is more general than that: it says that if have a sequence of smooth, complex valued functions, fn(x), on an open subset of Rn, then there exist F(x,t) such that
[tex]\frac{\partial^k f}{\partial t^k}= f^k(0, x)[/tex].

Yes, that is the theorem. Only that the version in my book is simplified from complex to real numbers and from partial derivatives to simple derivatives.

Sadly, I can't follow all the steps in my book, that is why I ask if you know some source where I can find the proof.

1. What is the Borel Lemma?

The Borel Lemma is a mathematical theorem that states that every smooth function on a compact interval can be approximated by a sequence of polynomials.

2. Why is the Borel Lemma important in the study of real numbers and partial differential equations (PDEs)?

The Borel Lemma is important because it provides a way to approximate solutions to PDEs, which are notoriously difficult to solve exactly. It also helps establish the existence and uniqueness of solutions to PDEs.

3. What is the proof of the Borel Lemma?

The proof of the Borel Lemma involves using the Weierstrass approximation theorem to construct a sequence of polynomials that converges to the given smooth function on a compact interval. This proof can be found in most advanced calculus textbooks.

4. Are there any applications of the Borel Lemma outside of mathematics?

Yes, the Borel Lemma has applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics where it is used to construct approximate solutions to the Schrödinger equation. It is also used in engineering, economics, and other fields where PDEs are commonly encountered.

5. Is the Borel Lemma still an active area of research?

While the Borel Lemma itself is a well-established theorem, there are still ongoing research efforts to extend its applications to other areas of mathematics and to develop alternative proofs or generalizations. Some recent research has focused on finding analogues of the Borel Lemma for functions defined on infinite-dimensional spaces.