Integration using substitution

In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral of sin^6(theta)cos(theta) using substitution. One person suggested letting u=sin(x), and the other person realized that the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), leading to the correct solution of (1/7)sin^7(theta)+C.
SticksandStones
[SOLVED] Integration using substitution

Problem: Find the integral of:
[tex]\int\sin^{6}\theta\cos\theta d\theta[/tex]

My attempt:

Let [tex]u\equiv\cos\theta[/tex]
so: [tex]du\equiv\sin\thetad\theta[/tex]

Only I don't know where to go from there.

The book says it should [tex]\frac{1}{7}\sin^{7}\theta+C[/tex] but I have no idea how they got that.

I'm probably missing something obvious here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try letting [tex]u=sin \theta [/tex]

Your are much better off letting u=sin(x).

Dick said:
Your are much better off letting u=sin(x).

Ah, that was the totally obvious thing I was missing. For some reason, I decided that the derivative of Sin(x) was...Sin(x)...

Thanks guys.

1. What is integration using substitution?

Integration using substitution is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals. It involves replacing a complicated function with a simpler one to make it easier to integrate.

2. How does substitution work in integration?

To use substitution in integration, you first identify a part of the integral that can be substituted with a new variable. Then, you use the chain rule to express the original integral in terms of the new variable, making it easier to integrate.

3. What is the purpose of using substitution in integration?

The purpose of substitution in integration is to make the integral easier to solve. By replacing a complicated function with a simpler one, it allows for more straightforward integration and often results in a more manageable integral.

4. What are some common substitution techniques used in integration?

Some common substitution techniques used in integration include u-substitution, trigonometric substitution, and integration by parts. Each technique is useful for different types of integrals and can help simplify the integration process.

5. How do I know when to use substitution in integration?

You should use substitution in integration when the integral contains a complicated function that is difficult to integrate. Look for patterns or familiar functions within the integral and try to substitute them with a new variable to simplify the integral.