Prove Equation Without Substitution: a0+a1x+a2x^2+...+anx^n=0

• Thread starter inferi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a challenging problem that requires proving the existence of a certain real number x in the interval (0,1) in order to solve two given equations. The Mean Value Theorem is suggested as a method to solve the problem, but the individual asking for help expresses confusion on how to apply it correctly. The expert advises them to review the theory behind the Mean Value Theorem and to construct a polynomial function based on the given constants in order to solve the problem.
inferi
hi,

I have this equation that i need to prove i used numbers and worked but you have to prove it without substitution, here is the question.

let a1,a2,...,an be all real number with the property that:

a0+(a1/2)+(a2/3)+...(an/n+1)=0

prove that:

a0+a1x+a2x^2+...+anx^n=0

this question is consider a challenging problem.

so anyone can please help? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
from rudin, this is actually one of the easier problems. But you didn't really state the problem fully: it's asking you to show there exists a x in (0,1) so that

a0+a1x+a2x^2+...+anx^n=0

You will need to use the Mean Value Theorem. If f'(x)=a0+a1x+a2x^2+...+anx^n, what is f(x)?

sorry i did not put the full question it is really the interval (0,1) but there is no f(x) in the question only equations are:
1- a0+(a1/2)+(a2/3)+...(an/n+1)=0

2- a0+a1x+a2x^2+...+anx^n=0

that's it and if you use the mean value theorem you are going only to get a0 when x=0 and the same second equation when x=1
so howto do it? hank for your help

IF you put

f'(x)=a0+a1x+a2x^2+...+anx^n

WHAT MUST f(x) be?

Use the Mean value theorem on f(x).

I think you need to review the statement of the mean value theorem and the theory in general because it your last post indicates you don't understand it well. The MVT works for FUNCTIONS not simply equations.

The problem REQUIRES you to CONSTRUCT a polynomial function based on the constants a_0,..,a_n - it is here that you are required to be somewhat clever (if you've ever differentiated or integrated before the proper function you need to create it obvious) And from there use the two equations given to show that the function vanishes at 1 and at 0, and the rest is an application of the mean value theorem.

i started it three times with the mean value theorem (roll's, general mean value theorem,& integral mean value theorem), how ever, it didn't work so if you were in my case what will be your way of solving this question!

ok we have to integral
f'(x)=a0+a1x+a2x^2+...+anx^n
so we can apply the mean value theorem, and the integral of this equation is a0+(a1/2)+(a2/3)+...(an/n+1)
is that right?

No, it's not. The integral is the FUNCTION
[tex]c+ a_0 x+ \frac{a_1}{2} x^2+ \frac{a_2}{3} x^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + \frac{a_n}{n+1} x^{n+1}[/tex]
where c can be any constant.

Apply the mean value theorem to THAT function.

1. How do I prove this equation without using substitution?

There are several methods for proving equations without using substitution. One approach is to use mathematical induction, where you prove the equation for a base case and then show that it holds for all subsequent cases. Another method is to use the properties of equalities and algebraic manipulations to transform the equation into a simpler form.

2. Can I use substitution to prove this equation?

No, the whole point of proving an equation without using substitution is to demonstrate your understanding of mathematical concepts and methods beyond simple plug-and-chug substitutions. Substitution may make the equation easier to solve, but it does not constitute a rigorous proof.

3. What is the significance of the "a" coefficients in this equation?

The "a" coefficients represent the constants in the polynomial equation. They determine the shape and behavior of the polynomial, and their values can impact the solutions to the equation.

4. Is there a specific order in which I need to prove the equation?

No, there is no specific order in which you need to prove the equation. However, it is recommended to start with the simplest cases and then work your way up to more complex cases.

5. How do I know if I have proven the equation correctly?

If you have correctly proven the equation, you should be able to start with the initial equation and use logical and mathematical steps to arrive at a statement that is obviously true or equivalent to the original equation. Your proof should also be clear, concise, and free of logical errors.