How to Wrap Parcels Easily | Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: The rotational method uses more paper, but the result is that the cylinder is less likely to burst open at the seam.”Mr. Dumas has written a book about the research entitled “Eco-Wrap: The Science of Gift-Wrapping” which is currently on sale at Bluewater.In summary, Bluewater has created an eco-friendly formula for wrapping Christmas presents that will help reduce the amount of paper that will be wasted. The formula is A1 = 2(ab+ac+bc+c²)**. This should be very simple but mine all ways look tatty, and i seem to need a third hand, irregular shapes are the hardest and the paper is never
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This should be very simple but mine all ways look tatty, and i seem to need a third hand,
irregular shapes are the hardest and the paper is never wide enough for big gifts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I'm actually pretty good at traditional wrapping, my general solution is to use aluminum foil (shiny side out, of course). You can either use it as a regular wrap, or just crumple it around irregular shapes. A couple of strips of invisible tape, and your ready to roll.

If you've got clear tape, you can make up any width of wrapping paper you want. If the wrapping paper has recurrent graphics, you can often match them pretty well, and do a good job wrapping oversized boxes. If your table isn't big enough for the job, wrap the big boxes on the floor.

Put it in a box... then wrap the box.
Often I use a box that has nothing to do with actual gift.
(I once stuffed a nice sweater into a cereal box.)

I facet stones as a hobby, and once gave my cousin one mounted in a gold pendant for Christmas. I played the "Russian Doll" trick on her, nesting that little box inside larger and larger boxes, ending up with a big box that our humidifier came in. We had pretty much stopped buying Christmas gifts by that time, and still had Christmas wrapping paper kicking around, so I neatly wrapped every box (I think there were 7-8) and stuffed the voids with crumpled newspaper. It took her about 15 minutes to get to the pendant, and her living room looked like a trash heap. :rofl: She cried when she saw the pendant. The stone was cut from a piece of the richest, deepest, cleanest Maine amethyst that I had ever got my hands on.

:biggrin:

http://www2.le.ac.uk/ebulletin/news/press-releases/2000-2009/2007/12/nparticle.2007-12-04.6745557516

The Science of Wrapping

Bluewater reveals the formula to prevent wrapping wastage this Christmas

Formula created by University of Leicester researcher

04 December 2007

To ensure its customers have a green Christmas this season, Bluewater have devised an eco-friendly scientific formula on how to wrap a Christmas present after estimating British consumers will waste over one tonne* of wrapping paper this Christmas.

Bluewater, the UKs leading shopping centre, discovered that Brits continually overestimate the amount of paper they need to wrap their Christmas presents. Following this new revelation, Bluewater today reveals the mathematical solution which will hopefully put an end to unnecessary paper wastage: A1 = 2(ab+ac+bc+c²)**

In laymans’ terms, the length of the wrapping paper should be as long as the perimeter of the side of the gift, with no more than 2cm allowed for an overlap. The width should be just a little over the sum of the width and the depth of the gift.

Those who need to wrap an unusual shaped gift, such as a cylinder, can compare its radius with its height using the formula h/(p-2)***. The equation will help consumers decide whether they should roll the paper around the gift or wrap the paper over the top of it to ensure they reduce their gift-wrapping footprint.

The formula has been created by Warwick Dumas from the Department of Mathematics, University of Leicester , who has been working with Bluewater to devise the perfect method of gift-wrapping that will help customers save time and money as well as reducing the amount of paper that will be wasted.

Mr. Dumas states, “The formula proves that consumers can still wrap their presents without using excess paper. We have taken into consideration all the factors that will impact the way customers will wrap their Christmas gifts this year, including the trend for buying unusual-shaped goods.”

He explains: “To explain in the most simplistic terms the minimal area of paper needed to wrap a box-shaped gift is twice the sum of the height times the width, the width times the depth and the height times the depth, plus twice the square of the depth. We have tested different methods of wrapping and our investigations showed that using the largest side as the base and cutting the right size of paper will allow consumers to wrap presents in the least amount of time and achieve a classy result.”

He continues: “Wrapping a cuboid diagonally uses strictly more paper than wrapping the traditional way except for an item with a square base, but wrapping diagonally uses a different shape of paper and so could be useful when only a small piece is left. When wrapping “diagonally”, 45 degrees is the best azimuth as long as Where a>b>c are the dimensions of the item. Otherwise the best angle is such that the flaps only just meet.”

“For a cylinder, a rotational method of wrapping was compared with a method of wrapping where the cylinder is treated like a cuboid. It turns out that when the radius is greater than about 0.876 of the height (actually, h/(pi-2)), it is better to wrap the item as a cuboid but otherwise, better to roll it along the paper.”

To help shoppers reduce their gift-wrapping footprint, Bluewater have launched a new gift-wrapping workshop which will provide a step-by-step practical guide on how to wrap items and save paper.

Fiona Campbell-Reilly, Marketing Manager of Bluewater comments, Our aim is to help consumers wrap their presents efficiently and economically this Christmas. With 330 stores under one roof, we know that our consumers will be buying lots of presents this season. By using this formula, Bluewater shoppers can make an effort to become as green as their Christmas tree.

For more information or to arrange an interview with Warwick Dumas, contact:

Emma Breakspear or Sabrina Lynch Splendid Communications 020 7324 7091 emmab@splendidcomms.com

Ather Mirza-Uni of Leicester press office -0116 252 3335 pressoffice@le.ac.uk

* Based on the weight of 83 square km of wrapping paper (771,900 grammes) British consumers will waste, Waste Online 2005

** A1 = area needed/ a, b, c = Dimensions of cuboid: a = longest, c = shortest

*** H = height

Notes to Editors

Tips:

1. Allocate no more than 10 minutes per present when wrapping

2. Dont wrap presents at an angle as it uses more paper than wrapping it the traditional way

3. If you are wrapping a cylinder, and its radius is more than 88% of the height (e.g. a tin of chocolates), wrap it as you would a box.

4. If you are wrapping a bottle, roll it along the paper so that the length of paper used is the circumference of the bottle. This ensures paper will not be wasted

5. If you have bought a present that is an unusual shape, place it in a box or in a gift bag to prevent paper wastage

6. Keep the best wrapping paper that you receive from others and re-use it to wrap a smaller present every year

7. Re-cycle and re-use your gift decorations

The Bluewater Christmas shopping report (November 2007)

* 46% of the British public rate their wrapping skills as average, awful and poor
* 86% of British shoppers will get their gifts professionally wrapped this year a cheeky 15% will pass the gift off as their own
* British consumers will spend 1.1billion on gifts for their Mums compared to only 7.7 million which will be spent on presents for their Dad

The average which will be spent on family members this Christmas:

Mum: £33.73

Dad: £22.61

Sister: £14.27

Brother: £14.04

* 61% of British consumer state that they dread going Christmas shopping

Nice link dst, I'll use that formula :smile:

"The Science of Wrapping"

They overlook one thing. When you buy the gift, most stores put the gift in a bag. If you really want to save paper, just tape the bag closed and tape a gift card to it.

Ye gods dst, that is some link for working out the correct amount of paper to use.

robphy, good idea if you have a box near to the right size.

Most people that I know here do in fact just use a gift bag. That takes the fun out of it for me.
That math stuff is just nuts, though. I just take the gift and lay it down on the paper. I then roll it over with the paper to see how much is needed on that axis, then go slightly over half of the remainng dimension on each end. I get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch overlap on every side, which seems pretty efficient to me.

Danger said:
Most people that I know here do in fact just use a gift bag. That takes the fun out of it for me.
That math stuff is just nuts, though. I just take the gift and lay it down on the paper. I then roll it over with the paper to see how much is needed on that axis, then go slightly over half of the remainng dimension on each end. I get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch overlap on every side, which seems pretty efficient to me.

This the easy bit, the hard bit is getting nice ends without creating wrinkles.

Practice, me'lad... just practice.

I like to have fun wrapping.

1] I bought my bro a big pack of AA batteries. Rather than wrapping the whole pack, I separated them out and wrapped them in one four foot long present like linked sausages.

2] I bought my son a shelf unit from Ikea, but it was way too big too fit under the tree. So I put the tag in the tree, which had a piece of string attached to it, which trailed down the tree, across the length of the living room, around two doorframes, out into the hall, into the library, behind three book shelves, over to the stairs, where it attached to the shelf unit.

Good one, Dave.
I just either heard or read a quote from Steven Wright. He said that he'd bought his brother a roll of wrapping paper for Xmas. Had to tell the giftwrapper at the store to make sure that she used a different pattern so that he'd know when to quit unwrapping.

wolram said:
This the easy bit, the hard bit is getting nice ends without creating wrinkles.

Tape, lots and lots of tape! :biggrin: Okay, maybe not too much or everyone will make fun of how much tape you put on the presents.

First, wrap the paper around the middle-length direction so the open ends are over the shortest sides. Now, stick a piece of tape in the middle to hold it together. Now, go to one end, and fold down the side that has the open edge in it and tape that down (the more experienced wrapper doesn't need tape at this step, but it makes it easier). For the inexperienced wrapper, repeat this step with the other side, so the box doesn't slide around while you do the rest of the folds. Crease the edge of the fold neatly, and then make another crease where it lines up with each of the edges of the box, and neatly crease the flap this creates on the side. Fold in each side, and tape in place. Now, make another crease along the bottom edge and fold up the bottom flap (if the edge of the paper is crooked, you can fold it under once to leave a neater edge) and tape this in place too. Repeat with the other side and you have a neatly wrapped box. This is easier with heavier paper than lighter weight paper, because the heavy paper doesn't tend to wrinkle as much. If it's not quite as neat as you intended, wrap around a big, wide ribbon and stick on a large bow...that'll hide most mistakes, or at least distract the recipient with the pretty ribbon and bow so they don't notice the paper isn't very neat. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Good one, Dave.
I just either heard or read a quote from Steven Wright. He said that he'd bought his brother a roll of wrapping paper for Xmas. Had to tell the giftwrapper at the store to make sure that she used a different pattern so that he'd know when to quit unwrapping.

:rofl:

I'll have to do the battery sausage trick! I'm giving my nephew a present that requires SIX batteries. :rolleyes: He's old enough not to eat the batteries if I give them to him as a present (I used to just give the batteries to my sister), so that'll be a fun way to wrap them. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Tape, lots and lots of tape! :biggrin: Okay, maybe not too much or everyone will make fun of how much tape you put on the presents.

First, wrap the paper around the middle-length direction so the open ends are over the shortest sides. Now, stick a piece of tape in the middle to hold it together. Now, go to one end, and fold down the side that has the open edge in it and tape that down (the more experienced wrapper doesn't need tape at this step, but it makes it easier). For the inexperienced wrapper, repeat this step with the other side, so the box doesn't slide around while you do the rest of the folds. Crease the edge of the fold neatly, and then make another crease where it lines up with each of the edges of the box, and neatly crease the flap this creates on the side. Fold in each side, and tape in place. Now, make another crease along the bottom edge and fold up the bottom flap (if the edge of the paper is crooked, you can fold it under once to leave a neater edge) and tape this in place too. Repeat with the other side and you have a neatly wrapped box. This is easier with heavier paper than lighter weight paper, because the heavy paper doesn't tend to wrinkle as much. If it's not quite as neat as you intended, wrap around a big, wide ribbon and stick on a large bow...that'll hide most mistakes, or at least distract the recipient with the pretty ribbon and bow so they don't notice the paper isn't very neat. :biggrin:
One time i had an idea and used wall paper paste, thinking it would make a nice neat parcel, that is ok until my hands were coated in it.

wolram said:
One time i had an idea and used wall paper paste, thinking it would make a nice neat parcel, that is ok until my hands were coated in it.
You podged your gifts? omg your recipients must've hated you!

:rofl: I'm trying to imagine opening a present that had the wrapping paper pasted to the box! :rofl:

Gives me a hell of a good idea, though. I'll encase my gifts in concrete and include a hammer with the card.

Danger said:
Gives me a hell of a good idea, though. I'll encase my gifts in concrete and include a hammer with the card.
Just don't use that idea for your ship-in-a-bottle. Or the puppy.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I'm trying to imagine opening a present that had the wrapping paper pasted to the box! :rofl:
Box? Who said anything about a box? Imagine a podged sweater.

OK, I will probably embarrass myself with this, but what the hey... :)

First of all, keep in mind that I'm one of those people who, if I have to do something, I might as well go all out and try to do it as best as I can. And that usually means I have to go do "research" on it, study it, and then practice is (oh yes, don't tell me, I know it can get highly annoying. But this explains my Disney addiction, see?) :)

Anyway, a few years ago I got so sick and tired of making ugly gift warps that I felt embarrass to with what I was giving to people. So I bought a few books, watch several TV shows, and in a few months actually got quite good at not only doing wrappings, but also putting bows and decorations on a gift package, and also learned how to put different colors together. I also started buying wired fabric ribbons to enhance the whole thing.

I'm happy to say that the effort has paid off so far. Even if I may say so myself, I'm quite please with what I can do now, and from the reaction I'm getting from people who receive the gifts, they seem to be quite impressed as well. Most couldn't quite believe that I did the gift-wrappings! :) Once, I even had a friend at work wanting to pay me to wrap a gift for his wife.

Here are some of my recent "handiwork" still sitting under the tree at this moment.

img9693ef7.jpg

img9691gy7.jpg

Zz.

Zapper, you have far too much time on your hands.

My hands, on the other hand; are just covered in glue from failed attempts to make my gifts appear presentable.

Wow, those are beautiful! {sighs}

brewnog said:
Zapper, you have far too much time on your hands.

I wish. But you see, a beautiful gift wrap some time can compensate for a not-so-great gift! :)

Actually, I had a couple who called me a few days after I gave them a christmas present a few years ago, and they wanted to know what's inside the box, because they didn't want to open it and would rather have the box sit under the tree as decorations! I wasn't quite sure if I should take that as a compliment or an insult. :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I wish. But you see, a beautiful gift wrap some time can compensate for a not-so-great gift! :)
That's a great idea! I can give sardines for Christmas! :biggrin:

Actually, I had a couple who called me a few days after I gave them a christmas present a few years ago, and they wanted to know what's inside the box, because they didn't want to open it and would rather have the box sit under the tree as decorations!
Well, maybe the sardines aren't such a great idea. :frown:

Unless they have cats. :uhh:

Sardines has some of the highest concentration of Omega fatty acids that can lower one's LDL level and raise HDL level (the good cholesterol). So sardines as gift may not be as bad as you think. :)

Zz.

Wow, that's really nice Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Sardines has some of the highest concentration of Omega fatty acids that can lower one's LDL level and raise HDL level (the good cholesterol). So sardines as gift may not be as bad as you think. :)

Zz.
:yuck::yuck::yuck:
reminds me of the B-52 song...I'll bring you fish

1. How do I choose the right size of wrapping paper?

To choose the right size of wrapping paper, measure the length, width, and height of your parcel. Add these measurements together and add a few extra inches for overlap. This will give you the minimum size of wrapping paper you will need.

2. What is the best way to wrap an oddly shaped parcel?

For oddly shaped parcels, it is best to use tissue paper or gift bags. Place the parcel in the center of the tissue paper or gift bag and gather the excess material around the parcel. Secure with tape or a ribbon to create a neat and easy wrap.

3. How can I make sure the edges of the wrapping paper don't tear?

To prevent tearing, use double-sided tape or clear tape on the edges of the wrapping paper. This will create a stronger hold and prevent the paper from tearing when folding or handling.

4. What are some creative ways to decorate a wrapped parcel?

You can add a personal touch to your wrapped parcel by using ribbons, bows, or stickers. You can also use a marker or paint to draw designs on the wrapping paper. Another idea is to use a small gift or ornament as a topper for the parcel.

5. How can I wrap a fragile item to ensure it doesn't break?

To wrap a fragile item, use bubble wrap or tissue paper to wrap the item before placing it in the wrapping paper. This will provide extra cushioning and protection for the item. You can also add a "fragile" sticker or label to the outside of the package to alert the recipient and postal workers.