Mathematical prerequisites for Robotics/Mechatronics

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical prerequisites needed for success in studying Mechatronics/Robotics at the Master's level. The suggested courses include Calculus, Differential Equations, Probability and Statistics, and possibly Vector Calculus. It is also mentioned that Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field that combines elements of both electrical and mechanical engineering. Some universities, such as California State University Chico, offer a Bachelor's degree in Mechatronic engineering. Overall, there is a strong emphasis on mathematics in this field of study.
PhysiSmo
Greetings to everyone! A friend of mine would like to study Mechatronics/Robotics, and he intends to applicate to various master programs in these fields. What are the mathematical prerequisites one needs to obtain in order to follow such courses with success?

He has graduated from an Automation Engineering department, but with almost total lack of mathematical knowledge, unfortunately. Thus, if possible, I'd prefer that you recommend the mathematical background one needs from the very beginning!

Thanx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems odd to me that someone who has graduated with any type of engineering degree would not have had some mathematical exposure already.

At any rate, the usuals are Calculus (3 semesters), Differential equations (1-2 semesters), Probability and Statistics (1 semester). They do vary depending on what your major is. You might look at some of the Mechatronics programs and see what is required for an example.

http://www.unca.edu/ncsu_engr/index_bse.html [Broken]

or here for more links...

http://www.unca.edu/ncsu_engr/mechatr_links.html [Broken]

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't know if you helped him, StewartCS, but you sure helped me! I just finished my last day of classes to earn my Associate degree in mechatronics (didn't even need to go as far as precalculous, but I took it anyway). I've been looking around for schools that offer a Bachelor's, and they're pretty rare. I'm going to take at least one more semester at community college, just to get every transferable class taken on the cheap, but it looks like by the time I'm done with that, Southern Polly's new mechatronics program night be ready for people starting their 3rd year.

Anybody in here a mechatronics engineer?

I would imagine, especially at the Masters level, that the standard engineering math courses would apply. The main reason being that I remember doing a lot of robotic arm calculations in dynamics classes. They can get quite complex in describing the motions especially with relative frames of references, etc...Thinking about that, I would also throw vector calculus into the mix if it is not implicitly covered in the others.

What is mechtronics? Everyone always comes to these forums asking about 'mechtronics' this and 'mechtronics' that.

Its called controls. You get a degree in 'controls', from any good EE or ME department, and you take a LOT of math. Calc 1-3, Diff eq, linear algebra, partial diff eq, advanced calc, and more.

Cyrus said:
Its called controls. You get a degree in 'controls', from any good EE or ME department, and you take a LOT of math

Or, you could do it the way I did: drop out of high-school with a grade 9 math education, build ****, and then try to figure out why it works. The trick to that though, is that it really does work.

Cyrus said:
What is mechtronics? Everyone always comes to these forums asking about 'mechtronics' this and 'mechtronics' that.
Other people have asked about this? Man, I can't seem to find anybody outside my little group of classmates that has any idea what it is! Where else ni the Forums is it being talked about?

People post all the time asking how to get into 'robotics'/'mechtronics' on the academic advice subforum.

Its called DYNAMICS and CONTROLS .:grumpy:

Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary area that is supposed to encompass more than just controls and dynamics. However, like anything else, I can't see how they can get as in depth in areas like controls when they have to cover so many areas. I had one prof for analysis that does research in controls systems that has a doctorate in applied math.

Thank you all for your help, I'll tell my friend about these comments. Especially the links seem quite useful!

Mechatronics Bachelors

Hello,
California State University Chico in offers a bachelors in Mechatronic engineering. It has the basis of both electrical and mechanical engineering. Most students tend to polarize their upper division classes towards more mechanical or more electrical depending on their nature. For a "party" school, you sure don't get a lot of time to do much partying. It's a good degree, I've got one (minor in Math). The electrical side of the degree may have some weakness as some of the teachers are older. There is a *really* good class on robotics.

Jason

What is the difference between linear and nonlinear systems in robotics/mechatronics?

Linear systems in robotics/mechatronics refer to systems where the output is directly proportional to the input. This means that a small change in the input will result in a corresponding small change in the output. Nonlinear systems, on the other hand, do not have this direct proportionality and can exhibit complex behavior, making them more challenging to model and control.

Why is linear algebra important in robotics/mechatronics?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in robotics/mechatronics as it allows for the representation and manipulation of mathematical models of physical systems. This is crucial for designing and controlling robotic and mechatronic systems, as well as for solving problems related to motion planning, kinematics, and dynamics.

What is the role of calculus in robotics/mechatronics?

Calculus is essential in robotics/mechatronics as it is used to describe and analyze motion and change in physical systems. It is particularly useful in the fields of kinematics and dynamics, where it allows for the calculation of velocities, accelerations, and forces acting on a system. It is also used for optimization and control of robotic and mechatronic systems.

How does probability and statistics relate to robotics/mechatronics?

Probability and statistics play a crucial role in robotics/mechatronics as they provide a framework for dealing with uncertainty and variability in physical systems. These concepts are used to model and analyze sensor measurements, as well as to make decisions and predictions in control and planning algorithms. They are also vital in the development of artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques in these fields.

What is the importance of numerical methods in robotics/mechatronics?

Numerical methods are used in robotics/mechatronics to solve mathematical models that cannot be solved analytically. These methods involve approximating solutions to complex equations and systems using computational techniques. They are essential for simulating and analyzing the behavior of robotic and mechatronic systems, as well as for designing and implementing control algorithms.