Can light travel faster than itself?

In summary: The momentum transfer from light (i.e. EM waves) to massive objects is well-known, although it is still a topic of debate.
jonpaulv said:
light(medium) - Destination ( death of light) = time and thus time is not real. The only thing that can be calculated is something that isn't real. Because that lights death exists while its still alive.

jonpaulv said:
If the light escaped the universe that means there is another destination for the light outside of the materials in it. And it has reached its destination before we even see it move.

Jonpaulv, you seem to have some serious misunderstandings of basic physics that need to be corrected. Your views don't seem to match up with mainstream science, so please refrain from posting answers to questions unless you know for a fact that your explanation is directly from a reliable source. Remember, this forum is for teaching others about mainstream science, not about personal opinions or theories that haven't been peer reviewed yet.

Science news on Phys.org
But the death of the light sources time let's say ten oclock. Wont stop existing until after it. Meaning the death of a start dies at ten oclock but we notice its death way after

Do you see what I mean.

jonpaulv said:
But the death of the light sources time let's say ten oclock. Wont stop existing until after it. Meaning the death of a start dies at ten oclock but we notice its death way after

I'm sorry I have no idea what you are trying to explain here. I don't know what "death of the light sources" means at all.

jonpaulv said:

Yes this is very well known, there are many stars that died millions of years ago, but we can still see them in the sky today as they are millions of light years away.

This is why it is reffered to as "light years" eg it takes several years for the light to travel from the star to us, so we have "lag" in our sight.

So if you are looking at something 5 light years away, it means you are seeing what happened there 5 years ago, you aren't seeing what is happening there at this instant.

And modern science measures how light travels in years. It can travel only as far as its existing point. When a star dies its no longer there but we still see its rays. So I am moving into time now.

And thus lag in our time of constant existence. So there are multiple time realms of existence then.

so it takes time to witness something that occord in the past. So light is the present moment of the past?

It would be like you finally getting to see color tv years after it was color.

So our brains are inferior to that of something that can see that which occurs at its current moment as opposed to our primitive persception of time for us to wait.

Yea lag in our sight is like lag on a computer game. I see it faster then you did meaning it took ten seconds for me but twenty for you and your in the same era. Meaning Time is relative to observation. Meaning you can observe faster and the wave length can travel faster.

So time isn't relative its subjective

jonpaulv said:

Time is subjective

Because the same instance can occour at different moments. And exist when dead in another.

So time travels then at a speed.
Because my planet blew up but you won't see it do that for a 1000 years.
So time and existence can travel and is irrelevant and subjective.

And then you would say no way man Look that star is still there. And i would take you over to it and it won't be there.

jonpaulv said:
So our brains are inferior to that of something that can see that which occurs at its current moment as opposed to our primitive persception of time for us to wait.

It has nothing to do with our brains being inferior or not. There isn't anything that can observe an event the instant it takes place in that event's rest frame. Information is limited by the speed of light in all cases.

jonpaulv said:

No, time is relative in that the passage of time for one observer doesn't need to match that of another observer. We can relate two observers by performing a lorentz transformation between the two frames, after which each observer will agree with the other in regards to the passage of time, the order events occurred, etc.

jonpaulv said:
So time travels then at a speed.
Because my planet blew up but you won't see it do that for a 1000 years.
So time and existence can travel and is irrelevant and subjective.

Time and existence are not physical objects. Time is what a clock measures, it is how we separate events that occur in the same locations but don't happen at the same time if that makes sense. Time cannot have a velocity or speed any more than distance can. It is far from irrelevant, it is a requirement for accurately describing the universe. Existence is a whole other can of worms that doesn't need to be discussed here, as it's very very easy to get extremely speculative about it, which is generally against PF rules.

So existence is time. Even though it takes a kinda sub category of time for us to witness something in time. In other words everything exists at once but takes time to travel to us and occur making two forms of time. The instance that occurs and the instance we see it. Because if you were near the star when it dies and goes away you won't see what another planet will still see of it. It will be gone in that sub category of time

and exist in another.

jonpaulv said:
So existence is time. Even though it takes a kinda sub category of time for us to witness something in time. In other words everything exists at once but takes time to travel to us and occur making two forms of time. The instance that occurs and the instance we see it. Because if you were near the star when it dies and goes away you won't see what another planet will still see of it. It will be gone in that sub category of time

jonpaulv said:
and exist in another.

Again, time is what a clock measures. Events happen and it takes a finite time for the information to reach us, whether it is through light, sound waves, pressure, etc. Just because a photon is in flight and hasn't reached us yet does not mean that it does not exist, or that the emission and absorption of the photon are the only two "instants" that it exists. As for existence, as I said we can't get into that here, as it is off topic and threads on it usually get locked anyways due to people not being able to keep from speculating about it.

Can you move the movement of light and thus travel faster then it?

jonpaulv said:
Can you move the movement of light and thus travel faster then it?

I don't know what you mean by "move the movement of light", but I know for sure that you cannot travel faster than c, which is the speed of light.

making it move as far as it wanted so you would move it faster then the photons can weaken it?

jonpaulv said:
making it move as far as it wanted so you would move it faster then the photons can weaken it?

I have no idea what this means. Move what? Weaken what?

Move me ten miles an hour inside of a subway train moving 60. I then am going 70. So move something inside of light. Find something that moves inside of light.

So you move faster then it. Sorry this got into speed.

jonpaulv said:
Move me ten miles an hour inside of a subway train moving 60. I then am going 70. So move something inside of light. Find something that moves inside of light.

Light is an electromagnetic wave, an oscillation of the electric and magnetic fields. There is nothing physically moving, nor can you be "inside of light".

Move the waves of light faster or have something that travels at its own speed that is attached to light. Making it move faster then the speed of light. So thinkof light as the train and as this sub level matter entity move along the light waves. thus using the light as a boost. I mean this is sci fi but still tangible if discovered.

“We choose to examine a phenomenon which is impossible, absolutely impossible, to explain in any classical way, and which has in it the heart of quantum mechanics.” – Prof. Richard Feynman

there’s a little thing called wave-particle duality, that shows by experimentation (meaning it’s not just some crazy idea, it can be observed) that light is both a wave and a particle. Not that sometimes it’s a wave and sometimes it’s a particle, but in fact that light is both a wave and a particle simultaneously.

something can move through the particles and thus is moving faster then the light.

Do you know if the vertical movement of the waves is created at a faster pace then the horizontal?

Create an atom that travels through the emr of light. using the emr as let's say its land or train and then have it run on the emr. Thus traveling faster then the emr. But you would have to have the finishing point of the emr because at some point the train ie light emr would end and it would catch up to the end of it. But if we can do that with preexisting light then we can use it to travel. travel through the lights and bounce from one area to the next utilizing preexisting light.

jonpaulv said:
Move the waves of light faster or have something that travels at its own speed that is attached to light. Making it move faster then the speed of light. So thinkof light as the train and as this sub level matter entity move along the light waves. thus using the light as a boost. I mean this is sci fi but still tangible if discovered.

None of this is possible. It isn't even sci-fi, it's been disproved by General Relativity and experiments involving GR. It doesn't even make any sense in regards to basic physics.

jonpaulv said:
there’s a little thing called wave-particle duality, that shows by experimentation (meaning it’s not just some crazy idea, it can be observed) that light is both a wave and a particle. Not that sometimes it’s a wave and sometimes it’s a particle, but in fact that light is both a wave and a particle simultaneously.

Yes, I am well aware of the duality of light and matter. And no, it isn't both simultaneously, it is a particle or a wave depending on how you observe it.

jonpaulv said:
something can move through the particles and thus is moving faster then the light.

No, it is not.

jonpaulv said:
Do you know if the vertical movement of the waves is created at a faster pace then the horizontal?

There is no verticle and horizontal movement of the waves. The electric and magnetic fields are oscillating, not moving up and down. They have vectors, but this is not the same as saying the field is moving up and down or side to side.

Jonpaulv, ALL of this is explained if you read the articles I linked and then go to the articles on Special Relativity, General Relativity, and Quantum Mechanics. Please, do not post any more questions until you have read over those thoroughly enough to at least understand the most basic items, such as the speed of light being the absolute speed limit in the universe.

<h2>1. Can light travel faster than itself?</h2><p>No, according to the laws of physics, light always travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is known as the speed of light and it cannot be exceeded.</p><h2>2. Is it possible for light to travel faster than its own speed?</h2><p>No, the speed of light is considered to be the absolute speed limit in the universe. This means that nothing, including light itself, can travel faster than the speed of light.</p><h2>3. Can light travel faster than its own speed in certain conditions?</h2><p>No, the speed of light is constant and does not change based on any conditions. It is always the same in a vacuum, regardless of the observer's frame of reference.</p><h2>4. Are there any exceptions to the speed of light being the maximum speed?</h2><p>No, the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and there are no known exceptions to it. Even in extreme conditions, such as near a black hole, the speed of light remains the same.</p><h2>5. Why is the speed of light considered to be the maximum speed?</h2><p>The speed of light is considered to be the maximum speed because it is the speed at which all electromagnetic radiation, including light, travels in a vacuum. It is also a fundamental constant in the universe and has been consistently measured as the same value by various experiments and observations.</p>

1. Can light travel faster than itself?

No, according to the laws of physics, light always travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is known as the speed of light and it cannot be exceeded.

2. Is it possible for light to travel faster than its own speed?

No, the speed of light is considered to be the absolute speed limit in the universe. This means that nothing, including light itself, can travel faster than the speed of light.

3. Can light travel faster than its own speed in certain conditions?

No, the speed of light is constant and does not change based on any conditions. It is always the same in a vacuum, regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

4. Are there any exceptions to the speed of light being the maximum speed?

No, the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and there are no known exceptions to it. Even in extreme conditions, such as near a black hole, the speed of light remains the same.

5. Why is the speed of light considered to be the maximum speed?

The speed of light is considered to be the maximum speed because it is the speed at which all electromagnetic radiation, including light, travels in a vacuum. It is also a fundamental constant in the universe and has been consistently measured as the same value by various experiments and observations.