Linear algebra - transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions: 1) whether a linear transformation L represented by a matrix A can be used to determine if a vector w is in the range of L, and 2) whether the vectors that span a vector space in R^n must be orthogonal and linearly independent. The conversation concludes that for question 1, solving the system Ax=w can determine if w is in the image of L, and for question 2, the vectors that span a vector space must be both spanning and linearly independent but do not necessarily have to be orthogonal.
Niles
[SOLVED] Linear algebra - transformations

Homework Statement

I actually have two questions:

1) I have a linear transformation L and it is represented by a matrix A. I also have a vector w, and I want to find out if w gets "hit" by L - see "answer-part" for my approach, and please comment.

2) Does the vectors that span R^n have to be orthogonal and linearly independant or only linearly independant? And is this the same for a vector-space in R^n? Please see comments in "answer-part" as well.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Can I just solve the system Ax=w? If it is consistent, w gets "hit" by L?

2) The reason why I ask is that e.g. in R^3, the three unit vectors are orthogonal and linearly independant. And I have worked with vector-spaces in R^n where the vectors that span the space are not orthogonal. So I am a little confused here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Concerning 1): I don't understand what you mean by 'w gets "hit" be L'.

Concerning 2): Which vectors are you talking about? If S spans R^n, the vectors in S need not be linearly independent. If they are though, then the vectors in S can be used as a basis for R^n.

1) Yes, if the system of equations is 'consistent' that means you can find a solution. So w is in the range. It is hit.

2) You've asked this before and I've answered it before. A basis doesn't have to be orthogonal. Are you going to ask again?

Thanks to both of you.

I know I asked it before, and it's not nice of me to ask again - but as I wrote, I got a little confused, but I've bookmarked this topic.

Thanks again.

Dick said:
1) Yes, if the system of equations is 'consistent' that means you can find a solution. So w is in the range. It is hit.
More correctly, w is in the image of the linear transformation. If L: U->V, the V is the "range" and the image is a subspace of V.

Niles said:
2) Does the vectors that span R^n have to be orthogonal and linearly independant or only linearly independant? And is this the same for a vector-space in R^n? Please see comments in "answer-part" as well.

Strictly speaking the vectors that span a vector space don't even have to be independent! A basis for a vector space must both span the space and be linearly independent. A basis still doesn't have to be orthogonal. That's just often used because orthonormal bases are particularly simple. In fact, a general vector space does not necessairily have an "inner product" defined and so the concepts of "orthogonal" and "normalized" may not even be defined.

1. What are transformations in linear algebra?

Transformations in linear algebra refer to the process of changing or manipulating a vector or a set of vectors in a specific way. This is typically done by multiplying the vector(s) by a transformation matrix.

2. How are transformations represented in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, transformations are typically represented by a transformation matrix, which is a square matrix that contains coefficients that determine how the transformation is applied to the vector(s). The number of columns in the matrix corresponds to the dimension of the vector(s) being transformed.

3. What is the importance of transformations in linear algebra?

Transformations are important in linear algebra because they allow us to understand and analyze geometric changes in a mathematical way. They also have many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, data analysis, and engineering.

4. What are the different types of transformations in linear algebra?

There are several types of transformations in linear algebra, including translations, rotations, reflections, dilations, and shears. These transformations can be combined to create more complex transformations.

5. How do you perform a transformation in linear algebra?

To perform a transformation in linear algebra, you need to multiply the vector(s) by the transformation matrix. This can be done by hand or using software such as MATLAB or Python. It is important to remember that the order in which the transformations are applied can affect the final result.