Domain of f(x) = (2x^2 + 25)^(0.5) + 1 - Help Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(x) and its domain, which is all real numbers. The domain is not meant to be "found" but is already part of the original function's definition. The function always has a value because the function value is always positive. The symbols R and Z are used to represent the real numbers and integers, respectively. The domain of the function is typically denoted as D(f).
garyljc
I was wondering if there's any symbol i could use for the domain of this question

f(x) = (2x^2 + 25)^(0.5) + 1

as we can see that , f(x) will always be greater or equal to zero , was wondering what would the domain be ? Could anyone help me out ? thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The domain is all values of x, so you can say the domain is all real numbers, or [tex]x\in \Re[/tex]. The Codomain is all real numbers greater or equal to 6, or the set [tex][6, \infty)[/tex]

oh that's the symbol i was thinking about R (which denotes real numbers right ?)
what about Z that denotes integers
is that a possible answer ?

Yes, R denotes the real numbers. The integers comprise part of the domain since x can be integers, however the full domain is R.

Maybe I can explain what the domain is for you. Think of the function like a machine. The domain is all of the possible inputs that you put in and the range is all of the possible answers that come out. Pretty simple.

So, can x's be something other than integers(1,2,3...)? what about .23614? Do you still get a valid answer? If so, (you do lol) then the integers are not all of the possible inputs. Hopefully that will help.

Having much experience of the ineptly worded questions myself, I won't fret too much about it, but if someone like matt grime sees a "domain on this function.." type question, he may break something =]

That is because really, the domain is not meant to be "found", it is already part of the original functions definition. The function f(x) = x, 0 < x < 1, is a very different function to g(x)= x, 0< x < infinity.

garyljc said:
I was wondering if there's any symbol i could use for the domain of this question

f(x) = (2x^2 + 25)^(0.5) + 1

as we can see that , f(x) will always be greater or equal to zero , was wondering what would the domain be ? Could anyone help me out ? thanks
The fact that the function value "will always be greater or equal to zero" has nothing to do with the domain- it's the fact that the function value always exists that makes the domain R. And, since the only reason a function like this might not have a value would be that you can't take the square root of a negative number, that is due to the fact that 2x2+ 25 is always positive.

garyljc said:
oh that's the symbol i was thinking about R (which denotes real numbers right ?)
what about Z that denotes integers
is that a possible answer ?
A possible answer to what question? Since the integers are a subset of all real numbers, certainly this function is defined for all integers. But the function "[itex]f(x)= \sqrt{2x^2+ 25}+ 1[/itex] with domain all integers" is a very different function from "[itex]f(x)= \sqrt{2x^2+ 25}+ 1[/itex] with domain all real numbers".

garyljc said:
I was wondering if there's any symbol i could use for the domain of this question \
Typically it's denoted D(f)

thanks all for your help ... much appreciated ... now i understand more clearly thanks =)

What is the domain of the function f(x) = (2x^2 + 25)^(0.5) + 1?

The domain of this function is all real numbers except for values that would make the expression inside the square root negative. In other words, the domain is all values of x that make 2x^2 + 25 greater than or equal to 0.

How can I determine the domain of this function?

To determine the domain of this function, you need to find the values of x that make the expression inside the square root greater than or equal to 0. This can be done by setting 2x^2 + 25 greater than or equal to 0 and solving for x.

What is the range of this function?

The range of this function is all real numbers greater than or equal to 1. This is because the square root of a positive number can never be negative, and adding 1 to it will always result in a number greater than or equal to 1.

Is there a maximum or minimum value for this function?

Yes, there is a minimum value for this function. Since the square root can never be negative, the minimum value occurs when the expression inside the square root is 0. This happens when x = 0, and the minimum value is 1.

What is the purpose of the "Help Needed" in the function f(x) = (2x^2 + 25)^(0.5) + 1 - Help Needed?

The "Help Needed" in the function does not affect the domain or range of the function. It is simply a placeholder for any additional information or instructions that may be needed when using this function, such as the units of measurement or any special considerations. It is not a part of the actual mathematical expression.