Questions about Zhumell 3x Barlow for 12" Dobsonian Telescope

• Thread starter NerfMonkey
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential purchase of a 3x barlow and its effects on image quality. The speaker suggests considering the current eyepiece lineup before making a decision and notes that using a barlow will decrease the brightness of the image.
NerfMonkey
Sorry to be starting a new topic yet again, hope I don't look like a post whore:

I'm thinking about buying this barlow but first I have some questions.

1) Will I be sacrificing a lot of image quality (if any) in using a 3x barlow? My scope is a 12" Dob.
2) Will the barlow simply triple the size of the image I see without it, or will it make other things visible that weren't before?
3) Is it really worth it to buy a 3x barlow rather than a 2x?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You need to think about your current EP line-up. I chose my EPs based partly on my choice of Barlows. If you have a 2X and a 1.5x, you've got a real mix-up depending on what EPs you choose. Make up a little spread-sheet of the available magnifications. Remember that some EPs have pretty nice eye-relief, and that this wonderful feature is still available when you've got the EP stacked in a Barlow. It makes a difference.

Also, for your #2, a Barlow will reduce the brightness of the image, so less things will be visible, not more.

1. What is the magnification of the Zhumell 3x Barlow for the 12" Dobsonian Telescope?

The Zhumell 3x Barlow triples the magnification of the telescope it is used with. Therefore, for a 12" Dobsonian telescope, the magnification would be 3 times the original magnification.

2. Can the Zhumell 3x Barlow be used with other telescopes besides the 12" Dobsonian?

Yes, the Zhumell 3x Barlow can be used with any telescope that has a 1.25" eyepiece holder. It is not specific to the 12" Dobsonian telescope.

3. How does the Zhumell 3x Barlow affect the image quality?

The Zhumell 3x Barlow does not affect the image quality as long as it is used with high-quality eyepieces. It is designed to provide clear and crisp images with minimal distortion.

4. Is the Zhumell 3x Barlow easy to use?

Yes, the Zhumell 3x Barlow is very easy to use. It simply needs to be inserted into the eyepiece holder and the eyepiece is then inserted into the Barlow. It does not require any complex setup or adjustments.

5. Can the Zhumell 3x Barlow be used for astrophotography?

Yes, the Zhumell 3x Barlow can be used for astrophotography. However, it is important to note that the increased magnification may require longer exposure times and may also result in slightly lower image quality compared to using a lower magnification Barlow or no Barlow at all.