How can I calculate the errors in using Doppler shifts for binary stars?

In summary, the conversation is about using doppler shifts to gather data on binary stars for a report. The individual is unsure about how to calculate errors for the speed of the stars and the dispersion of photons. They are directed to a resource on error propagation and are asked to define dispersion before calculating the error.
stevemclaren
hey guys,

im doing a report on binary stars, using doppler shifts to get some results for periods etc but bit unsure about how to do the errors?

i realize that the errors arise in the speed of the stars and the dispersion of the photons but how could i calculate this?

cheers for any help
x

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familar with the ordninary error-propagation forumula?

yeh i know a bit about that, (dx/X)^2 and all that?
how do i calculate the error in dispersion and that tho?
x

http://sosnick.uchicago.edu/propagation_errors.pdf [Broken]

Look at page 8, and follow that chapter.

Then you write your formula for Doppler shift as a function of frequency and speed of star. What is the definition of dispersion?

Last edited by a moderator:

What are Doppler shifts of binary stars?

Doppler shifts of binary stars refer to the change in the observed wavelength of light from a binary star system caused by the relative motion of the stars towards or away from the observer.

How do Doppler shifts of binary stars occur?

Doppler shifts of binary stars occur because the stars are in orbit around each other, causing them to move towards or away from the observer at different points in their orbit.

Why are Doppler shifts of binary stars important in astronomy?

Doppler shifts of binary stars provide valuable information about the motion and characteristics of binary star systems, such as their orbital period, mass, and distance from Earth.

How do scientists measure Doppler shifts of binary stars?

Scientists use spectroscopy to measure the Doppler shifts of binary stars. This involves analyzing the spectrum of light from the stars to determine their wavelengths and any shifts caused by their motion.

What can Doppler shifts of binary stars tell us about the stars themselves?

Doppler shifts of binary stars can provide insight into the masses, sizes, and orbital dynamics of the stars in a binary system. They can also help identify any exoplanets orbiting the stars and determine their characteristics.