Understanding Helmholtz Coils in CGS Units

In summary, the conversation discusses the field on the z axis due to two coils carrying a current in the same direction, as well as the reason for all odd derivatives of the field at the origin being equal to zero. The equation for the field is given and the concept of even and odd functions is mentioned. It is explained that odd derivatives are zero at the origin due to the symmetry of the coils and the physical properties of the field.
stunner5000pt
Working in CGS units... hence i don't know if my answer is right or wrong anymore... It doesn't 'look' right

Homework Statement

Two coils are placed at l and -l on the Z axis as in the figure. They both carry a current I in the same direction (anticlockwise). Both have a radius of a. (Setup like Helmholtz coils.)

a. What is the field on the z axis due to the two coils?
b. Why are all the odd derivatives of B at the origin equal to zero?

Homework Equations

Due to the loop of current the field a hieght z above the center of the loop is given by
[tex] B = \frac{2\pi Ia^2}{c(a^2 + z^2)^{3/2}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The field is given by [tex] B = \frac{2\pi Ia^2}{c}\left( \frac{1}{(R^2 + (z + l)^2)^{3/2}} + \frac{1}{(R^2 + (z - l)^2)^{3/2}} \right)[/tex]

b) I know that the first derivative of the B field is zero becuase there are no magnetic monopoles. But how does that explain why the octopole moment and so forth are zero? I need some kind of hint so if you could please advise... that would be awesome

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of B fields have first derivatives.
It is wrong to refer to "octupole moments" for the field between the loops.
Odd derivatives at z=0 are zero, because B is an even function of z due to the symmetry of the coils.

Last edited:
ok so even functions have odd first derivative and even second derivative odd third derivative and so on. But how does that explain that the odd derivative is zero at the origin? Aren't evne functions symmetric wrt reflection on the Y axis? Why aren't even functions zero at the origin?

Mathematically, the derivative of z^(2n) is zero at z=0 for all positive integer n.
Physically, we know the field at the origin is a minimum (it is strongest at +/-L), and is even about the origin. Therefore the tangent is zero.

stunner5000pt said:
ok so even functions have odd first derivative and even second derivative odd third derivative and so on. But how does that explain that the odd derivative is zero at the origin? Aren't evne functions symmetric wrt reflection on the Y axis? Why aren't even functions zero at the origin?
An odd function must equal zero at the origin because f(0)=-f(0) for an odd function.
An even function needn't be zero because f(0)=f(0) for an even function.
For instance 2+z^2=2 at the origin.

thanks for the help

1. What are Helmholtz coils in CGS units?

Helmholtz coils are a type of electromagnet consisting of two identical coils with the same radius and distance between them. They produce a uniform magnetic field between the coils when current is passed through them. In CGS (centimeter-gram-second) units, the magnetic field strength is measured in gauss (G), current is measured in abampere (abA), and distance is measured in centimeters (cm).

2. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field strength in Helmholtz coils?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field strength (B) between the coils is B = (8N/5)μ0I/R, where N is the number of turns in each coil, μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 G cm/abA), I is the current passing through the coils, and R is the radius of the coils.

3. How can Helmholtz coils be used in scientific experiments?

Helmholtz coils are commonly used in experiments involving charged particles, such as electron beams or ions. They can also be used to cancel out the Earth's magnetic field in order to create a controlled environment for studying magnetic properties of materials.

4. Are Helmholtz coils only used in CGS units?

No, Helmholtz coils can also be used in other unit systems, such as SI (International System of Units). In SI units, the magnetic field strength is measured in tesla (T), current is measured in ampere (A), and distance is measured in meters (m). The formula for calculating B remains the same, but the units are converted accordingly.

5. Can the distance between the coils be adjusted to change the magnetic field strength?

Yes, the distance between the coils can be adjusted to change the magnetic field strength. The closer the coils are, the stronger the magnetic field will be. However, the distance should not be too small, as this can cause non-uniformity in the magnetic field. The ideal distance between the coils is equal to the radius of the coils.