Ratio simplification using ratio series.

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving fractions, but is struggling to simplify the equation correctly. They have attempted to use L'Hospital's rule, but that is not allowed. They have also tried to change the denominator to n^4 + 1^4, which does not work either. They have found a solution by applying the binomial theorem and calculating the interval of convergence.
rcmango

Homework Statement

here is the problem: http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5175/15399391yy7.png

how do i simplify the fraction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the correct answer but I'm not sure how to simplify the fraction correctly, especially with the n+1 with a exponent 4.

please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned L'Hospital's rule yet? If you have then all you need to do is to evaluate [tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n^4+16}{(n+1)^4 +16}[/tex] separately, then put that result back into the expression then you'll get the answer.

Okay, you after applying l'hopitals rule, i get 1. also, i believe i could change this (n+1)^4 to this n^4 + 1^4 i believe?

thanks.

I don't think that's allowed. What rule are you following there?

rcmango said:
Okay, you after applying l'hopitals rule, i get 1. also, i believe i could change this (n+1)^4 to this n^4 + 1^4 i believe?

thanks.

No, it's not correct at all.

Here's a simple counter example. If n = -1, then your LHS will be 0, whereas your RHS is 2, they are not equal.

To expand the terms that have the form: (a + b)n (where n is a natural number), one should use Binomial Theorem.

Or, you can just divide both numerator, and denominator by n4 (the greatest power), like this:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| (2x - 1) \frac{n ^ 4 + 16}{(n + 1) ^ 4 + 16} \right|[/tex]

[tex]= |2x - 1| \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| \frac{\frac{n ^ 4 + 16}{n ^ 4}}{\frac{(n + 1) ^ 4 + 16}{n ^ 4}} \right|[/tex] (since 2x - 1 is a constant, independent of n, we can "pull" it out)

[tex]= |2x - 1| \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| \frac{1 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}}{\frac{(n + 1) ^ 4}{n ^ 4} + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}} \right|[/tex]

[tex]= |2x - 1| \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| \frac{1 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}}{\left( \frac{n + 1}{n} \right) ^ 4 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}} \right|[/tex]

[tex]= |2x - 1| \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| \frac{1 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}}{\left( \frac{n + 1}{n} \right) ^ 4 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}} \right| = ...[/tex]

Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
Viet Dao, thankyou for that thorough explanation! That was exactly my question, and it helped me a great deal!

just skipping to the end, i get the interval of convergence to be [0, 1] where i plug these into the original equation and they both converge, correct? just need a confirmation.

also the radius of convergence came to 1/2

thanks.

rcmango said:
just skipping to the end, i get the interval of convergence to be [0, 1] where i plug these into the original equation and they both converge, correct? just need a confirmation.

also the radius of convergence came to 1/2

thanks.

What is the series you are working on? You haven't shown us any series at all. :bugeye:

What is ratio simplification?

Ratio simplification is the process of reducing a ratio to its simplest form by dividing both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor.

What is a ratio series?

A ratio series is a sequence of ratios that follow a pattern or rule, such as increasing or decreasing by a certain factor.

How do you simplify ratios using ratio series?

To simplify ratios using a ratio series, you need to identify the common factor between the numerator and denominator and divide both by that factor. Then, continue to do this until you can no longer simplify the ratio.

Why is ratio simplification important?

Ratio simplification is important for making comparisons and calculations easier. It also helps to show the relationship between two quantities in a more simplified and understandable way.

Can ratio simplification be used in real-life situations?

Yes, ratio simplification can be used in many real-life situations, such as in cooking and baking recipes, financial planning, and engineering and construction projects.