Can the amount of moles in a mixture be determined using mass and molar mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to determine the amount of moles in a mixture of two solids (NaCl + C12H22O11) by multiplying the mass of the mixture by the conversion factor (mol/mass NaCl + mass C12H22O11). It is determined that this method is not valid as the fraction of each substance in the mixture is unknown. The concept of finding the moles of solution present is also questioned, with an example given using different percentages of two substances with different molar masses. It is concluded that the total moles of solution present cannot be determined without knowing the exact composition of the mixture.
fk378
General question:

If given the mass (15.0 g) of a mixture of two solids (NaCl + C12H22O11), can I find the amount of moles in the mixture by multiplying (15.0 g)*(mol / mass NaCl + mass C12H22O11)? I don't think this is valid, but I don't know why not...

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think you can really do that... mainly because you don't know what fraction of the mixture is NaCl or C12H22O11.

Well what if you're just trying to find the moles of solution present? Then would it matter the fraction of each?

well.. that is sort of impossible to say the total moles of "solution present". for example, try making up your own values for a solution... like 20% A (molar mass 20) and 80% B (molar mass 5). you could then find find moles A and moles B and add them up together to find total moles.
now try doing it again except with like 50% A and 50% B. You should get a different number of moles.. at least i hope so lol

Suppose I told you there was 1000tons of vehicles in the car park and they were a mixture of 0.5t Smart Cars and 10t Buses - you couldn't work out how many vehicles were present.

What is a mole?

A mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to represent the amount of a substance. One mole is equal to 6.02 x 10^23 particles, which is known as Avogadro's number.

Why is finding moles in a mixture important?

Finding moles in a mixture is important because it allows us to determine the amount of each substance present in the mixture. This information is crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of the mixture.

What are the different methods for finding moles in a mixture?

There are several methods for finding moles in a mixture, including gravimetric analysis, volumetric analysis, and spectrophotometry. Each method involves different procedures and calculations, but they all ultimately provide the same result.

How do you calculate the number of moles in a mixture?

To calculate the number of moles in a mixture, you first need to determine the mass or volume of the substance you are interested in. Then, you can use the substance's molar mass and Avogadro's number to convert to moles. The formula for calculating moles is: moles = mass (or volume) / molar mass.

What are some common sources of error when finding moles in a mixture?

Some common sources of error when finding moles in a mixture include inaccurate measurements, incomplete reactions, and impurities in the mixture. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use precise measurement techniques to minimize error.