Alcohols & Ethers: What Are They?

• Thread starter MycelliumMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohols
In summary, alcohols can be defined as hydrocarbons with one or multiple hydroxyl groups, or any molecule where the hydroxyl group is the most important functional group. This can lead to confusion as some molecules may have other important functional groups, but still contain a hydroxyl group. For ethers, the two groups attached to the oxygen atom can be alkyl groups or any other molecule.
MycelliumMan
I'm confused as to what alcohols really are. I keep reading that an alcohol is an "ALKYL" group with a hydroxyl group attached to it but then I see that definition being contradicted by the exact same person that wrote it. The claim its an ALKYL group but they give examples which list heteroatoms.

At first I thought an alcohol was a hydrocarbon with a hydroxyl group attached to it and I really liked that definition of alcohols because it allowed me to easily identify them but other people tell me that an alcohol is ANY molecule with a hydroxyl group attached to it.

Which is it? Is an alcohol a hydrocarbon (no heteroatoms) with a hydroxyl group attached to it or is an alcohol any molecule with a hydroxyl group attached to it.

Also I'm wondering the same thing about ether. Are the two groups attached to ethers O always alkyl groups as is the case with Diethyl ether or is ether just ANY molecule that has its two sides connected by an oxygen atom?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Alcohols are at the simplest a hydrocarbon with either one or multiple number of hydroxyl functional groups , at times a molecule can have multiple functional groups in which case it may or may not be referred to as an alcohol unless this particular group is the most important in its function.

A molecule is called an alcohol when the hydroxyl group on it is its definitive feature. More complicated molecules can still have a hydroxyl group attached to them, but will instead name it as a substituent group. To denote this, the suffix '-ol' will be placed somewhere in the compound's name using IUPAC naming conventions.

What are alcohols?

Alcohols are organic compounds that contain a hydroxyl (-OH) functional group attached to a carbon atom. They are commonly used as solvents, disinfectants, and fuels.

What are ethers?

Ethers are organic compounds that contain an oxygen atom bonded to two carbon atoms. They are commonly used as solvents and as starting materials in organic synthesis.

What is the difference between alcohols and ethers?

The main difference between alcohols and ethers is the functional group they contain. Alcohols have a hydroxyl group while ethers have an oxygen atom bonded to two carbon atoms. Alcohols are more polar and have higher boiling points compared to ethers.

How are alcohols and ethers produced?

Alcohols can be produced through the hydration of alkenes or the reduction of aldehydes or ketones. Ethers can be produced through the dehydration of alcohols or the Williamson ether synthesis.

What are some common uses of alcohols and ethers?

Alcohols are commonly used as solvents in industries such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and cleaning products. Ethers are commonly used as solvents and as starting materials in organic synthesis.