Prove limit of improper Integral is 1

In summary, the homework statement is that e=\mathop{\lim}\limits_{n \to \infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}1/k! For the attempt at a solution, the first step was to write the improper integral as limit of a proper integral. However, when trying to integrate by parts with u=x^n dv=e^-xdx...which eventually gets that proper integral to be 1/e-b^n/e^b+n\int_{1}^{b}\frac{1}{e^x}x^(n-1)dx, but even when I take limit b->infinity of this remaining integral either it's
sinClair

Homework Statement

Show [tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{n \to \infty}(\frac{1}{n!}\int_{1}^{\infty}x^n\frac{1}{e^x} dx )=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The hint is that [tex]e=\mathop{\lim}\limits_{n \to \infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}1/k![/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I wrote out the improper integral as limit of a proper integral. Then I tried to integrate by parts with u=x^n dv=e^-xdx...which eventually gets that proper integral to be [tex]1/e-b^n/e^b+n\int_{1}^{b}\frac{1}{e^x}x^(n-1)dx[/tex]

But even when I take limit b->infinity of this remaining integral either it's going to exist and be finite in which case when i take n->infinity it will be infinite or else it dosn't exist or is not finite in which case the original integral is not improperly integral. I tried using u=e^-x and dv=x^n with little success as well--did I make a mistake somewhere here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sinClair said:
[tex]1/e-b^n/e^b+n\int_{1}^{b}\frac{1}{e^x}x^(n-1)dx[/tex].

Hi sinClair! :smile:

You haven't included the 1/n! :
[tex]\frac{1/e-b^n/e^b}{n!}\,+\,\int_{1}^{b}\frac{x^{n-1}\,e^{-x}}{(n-1)!}dx[/tex]​

… and then you can keep doing it again … :smile:

Are you thinking that you just keep on integrating by parts and then that will yield a sum that will be e? I'm having trouble summing up the uv part of the integration... I mean when i do it again I get -b^n*e^-b+e^-1+n(-e^-b*b^n-1+e^-1+integral...) this sums up...?

Hi sinClair! :smile:

I haven't actually cheked it, but from:
tiny-tim said:
[tex]\frac{1/e-b^n/e^b}{n!}\,+\,\int_{1}^{b}\frac{x^{n-1}\,e^{-x}}{(n-1)!}dx[/tex]​

don't you eventually get something like
[tex]e^{-1}\sum\frac{1}{n!}\,-\,e^{-b}\sum\frac{b^n}{n!}[/tex]​
? :smile:

What is the definition of an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite, or where the integrand has a singularity at one of the limits.

How do you prove the limit of an improper integral is 1?

To prove that the limit of an improper integral is 1, you must first show that the integral converges. This can be done by evaluating the integral using the appropriate techniques, such as integration by parts or substitution. Once the integral is shown to converge, you can then take the limit as the upper and lower limits of integration approach infinity or a singularity, and show that the resulting limit is equal to 1.

Can you provide an example of an improper integral with a limit of 1?

One example of an improper integral with a limit of 1 is the integral of 1/x from 1 to infinity. This integral can be evaluated as ln(x) from 1 to infinity, which approaches infinity. However, taking the limit as the upper limit of integration approaches infinity results in the limit being equal to 1.

Why is it important to prove the limit of an improper integral?

Proving the limit of an improper integral is important because it ensures that the integral is well-defined and has a finite value. It also allows for the use of many important mathematical techniques and applications, such as the evaluation of series and the calculation of areas and volumes.

Are there any special techniques or methods for proving the limit of an improper integral?

Yes, there are several techniques and methods for proving the limit of an improper integral. These include the comparison test, the limit comparison test, and the Cauchy convergence criterion. Additionally, different integration techniques may be used depending on the type of singularity present in the integral.