How can I prove properties of complex numbers in my homework?

In summary, Homework Equations z=r(cos\alpha+isin\alpha) , w_k=\sqrt[n]{r}(cos\frac{\alpha + 2k\pi}{n}+isin{\alpha + 2k\pi}{n}) , and E_k=\sqrt[n]{1}=cos\frac{2k\pi}{n}+isin{2k\pi}{n} are conjugate complex numbers. The Attempt at a Solution z=r(cos\alpha+isin\alpha)+r^n(cosn\alpha+isinn\alpha) proves that they are conjugate complex numbers.
Theofilius

Homework Statement

Hello! :smile:

a)Prove that [tex](a+bi)^n[/tex] and [tex](a-bi)^n[/tex], n [tex]\in \mathbb{N}[/tex] are conjugate complex numbers;

b)Prove that quotient of any two numbers from the set of [tex]\sqrt[n]{1}[/tex] is again number from the set of [tex]\sqrt[n]{1}[/tex]

c)Prove that reciproca value of any number from the set of [tex]\sqrt[n]{1}[/tex], is again number from the set [tex]\sqrt[n]{1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]z=r(cos\alpha+isin\alpha)[/tex]

[tex]\bar{z}=r(cos\alpha-isin\alpha)[/tex]

[tex]w_k=\sqrt[n]{r}(cos\frac{\alpha + 2k\pi}{n}+isin{\alpha + 2k\pi}{n}) ; k=0,1,2,...,n-1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [tex](a+bi)=r(cos\alpha+isin\alpha)[/tex]

[tex] (a+bi)^n=r^n(cosn\alpha+isinn\alpha)[/tex]

[tex] (a-bi)=r(cos\alpha-sin\alpha)[/tex]

[tex] (a-bi)^n=r^n(cosn\alpha-sinn\alpha)[/tex]

Is this enough to prove that they are conjugate complex numbers?

b)[tex]E_k=\sqrt[n]{1}=cos\frac{2k\pi}{n}+isin{2k\pi}{n} , k=0,1,2,3,...,n-1[/tex]

Should I make like this?

[tex]E_n_-_1=\sqrt[n]{1}=cos\frac{2(n-1)\pi}{n}+isin\frac{2(n-1)\pi}{n}[/tex]

What should I do next?

c)If I know how to prove b) I will prove c)

In this case just [tex](\sqrt[n]{1})^-^1=\sqrt[n]{1}[/tex], right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theofilius said:
a) [tex](a+bi)=r(cos\alpha+isin\alpha)[/tex]

[tex] (a+bi)^n=r^n(cosn\alpha+isinn\alpha)[/tex]

[tex] (a-bi)=r(cos\alpha-sin\alpha)[/tex]

[tex] (a-bi)^n=r^n(cosn\alpha-sinn\alpha)[/tex]

Is this enough to prove that they are conjugate complex numbers?
Multiply eqns 2 and 4 and you're done.

For b,c you don't have to resort to any fanciful complex number manipulation. Suppose a complex number [tex]w = \sqrt[n]{1}[/tex] That implies [tex]w^n = 1[/tex] Similarly consider a different nth complex root of unity, say z. z^n = 1. Quotient = w/z. How can we tell if w/z is also an nth root of unity?

c)

Again suppose [tex]w = \sqrt[n]{1}[/tex]. It's reciprocal is [tex]\frac{1}{w}[/tex]. What is [tex]\left (\frac{1}{w}\right)^n[/tex]

But I need to prove like I wrote at b)

First, let me apologise, I have some typo error in b), it should look like:

[tex]E_k=\sqrt[n]{1}=cos\frac{2k\pi}{n}+isin\frac{2k\pi}{n} , k=0,1,2,3,...,n-1[/tex]

In a) why I need to multiply them ?

Well, okay I misread your answer for a). It's fine.

For b,c, what kind of proof are you looking for? Is there something unacceptable about the suggestion I gave?

I think your way of thinking is good, but probably I should get two general solutions from the set of solutions of [tex]\sqrt[n]{1}[/tex] and prove...

For b), switching to exponential form simplifies a lot.

I need to prove with complex numbers like the [tex]E_k[/tex] formula above. Please help!

Any help?

Suppose a and b are both "from the set [itex]^n\sqrt{1}[/tex]. What is (ab)n?

Maybe again [tex](ab)^n[/tex] is from the set of [tex]\sqrt[n]{1}[/tex]. I am not sure.

Theofilius said:
Maybe again [tex](ab)^n[/tex] is from the set of [tex]\sqrt[n]{1}[/tex]. I am not sure.

Hint: [itex](ab)^n[/itex] = ababab … ababab = … ? :smile:

[tex]a^nb^n[/tex] ? :smile:

Theofilius said:
[tex]a^nb^n[/tex] ? :smile:

Yes … but … why the question-mark?

Theofilius , you keep answering questions with a question … even when, as in this case, it's actually the complete answer.

ok … and [tex]a^nb^n[/tex] = … ?

:smile: … and don't answer with a question … ! :smile:

[tex]a^nb^n=[/tex]? I honesly don't know.. :smile: I don't even know what are you giving me that question for?

Theofilius said:
[tex]a^nb^n=[/tex]? I honesly don't know.. :smile: I don't even know what are you giving me that question for?

Because of:
HallsofIvy said:
Suppose a and b are both "from the set [itex]^n\sqrt{1}[/tex]. What is (ab)n?

[tex](ab)^n[/tex] is complex or real number. :smile:

I don't know, we are just going in circle.

HallsofIvy said:
Suppose a and b are both "from the set [itex]^n\sqrt{1}[/itex]

So [itex]a^n\,=\,b^n\,=\,1[/itex]

Is that the proof?

Physicsissuef said:
Is that the proof?

Well, it needs to be put together into one continuous piece, and the actual question was about a/b rather than ab, but apart from that … yes! :smile:

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with the imaginary unit i = √-1.

How do you prove the existence of complex numbers?

The existence of complex numbers can be proven through various methods, such as using the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra or the Argand diagram. These methods show that there are solutions to certain equations that cannot be expressed using real numbers, thus leading to the existence of complex numbers.

What is the significance of complex numbers in mathematics?

Complex numbers are essential in mathematics as they allow for the solution of equations that cannot be solved using real numbers alone. They also have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How are complex numbers represented geometrically?

Complex numbers can be represented geometrically using the Argand diagram, which is a graph with the real part on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. The complex number a + bi is then represented as a point on this graph.

What are the operations that can be performed on complex numbers?

The basic operations that can be performed on complex numbers are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations follow the same rules as real numbers, with the addition of the distributive property for the imaginary part. Other operations, such as finding the conjugate or taking the square root, can also be performed on complex numbers.