Right-hand rule regarding magnetic fields

In summary, the direction of the deflection of charged particles entering a magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. The force on the particle can be found by pointing your thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, with the direction of your palm indicating the force on the particle. If the particle has a negative charge, the direction of the force will be opposite. If the cross product between the velocity and magnetic field is 0, there will be no force on the particle. In part (d), the x component of the magnetic field can be used to determine the force by pointing your fingers in that direction and your thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity.
clairez93

Homework Statement

Determine the initial direction of the deflection of charged particles as they enter the magnetic fields as shown in Figure P29.1 (attached).

Homework Equations

I don't think there are any.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this problem will need to make use of the right-hand rule, if I'm not mistaken. However I don't understand how to use the right-hand rule. Could someone please help me to understand how to use it? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,713
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still having trouble grasping it. In my problem, for part b, I would put my finger sin the direction of upwards, and then curl it where?

Point your thumb in the direction of particle velocity and your fingers in the direction of the field. Then, for (b) you would get the force on the particle as into the page (direction that your palm faces).

Likes Physistory
That doesn't quite work for part (c), however. Because if I can't point my thumb in the direction of the velocity of the particle and have my fingers poniting the opposite way...

kreil said:
Point your thumb in the direction of particle velocity and your fingers in the direction of the field. Then, for (b) you would get the force on the particle as into the page (direction that your palm faces).

Not in the direction of the particle velocity, necessarily. It's in the direction of qV. So if the particle has a negative charge, you would point your thumb in which direction?

clairez93 said:
That doesn't quite work for part (c), however. Because if I can't point my thumb in the direction of the velocity of the particle and have my fingers poniting the opposite way...

What's the cross product between two parallel (or antiparallel) vectors?

berkeman said:
What's the cross product between two parallel (or antiparallel) vectors?

I think it is 0.

Right. so the force in part C is 0

Oh, I see.
Then what about part d? How would that one work?
I'm still confused.

well is there at a component of the magnetic field that is perpendicular to the motion of the proton? If so, you can use the right hand rule and find out the force

The x component would be perpendicular to the motion. So do my fingers go in the direction of the x component and then my thumb with the red arrow from the particle?

yessir

What is the right-hand rule for magnetic fields?

The right-hand rule is a tool used to determine the direction of a magnetic field in relation to the direction of an electric current. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

Why is the right-hand rule important in science?

The right-hand rule is important because it helps scientists understand the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It is also used to determine the direction of forces exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

How is the right-hand rule applied in electromagnetism?

The right-hand rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a wire carrying an electric current. It is also used to determine the direction of the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

Can the right-hand rule be applied to all types of magnetic fields?

Yes, the right-hand rule can be applied to all types of magnetic fields, including those created by permanent magnets and electromagnets. It is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism and is used in many different applications.

Is the right-hand rule always accurate?

While the right-hand rule is a useful tool for determining the direction of magnetic fields, it may not always be accurate in complex situations where multiple currents and magnetic fields are present. In these cases, more advanced methods may be needed to accurately determine the direction of the magnetic fields.